Motoring Discussion > Vehicles "Clocked" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 6

Vehicles "Clocked" - Perky Penguin
According to a Governement Department ( Department of Business, Innovations and Skills- WTF?) over 700,000 vehicles have been offered for an MOT test showing a lower mileage than shown on the previous certificate. The Department is happy that robust measures are in place to prevent fraud and malpractice. Yeeeah right!
 Vehicles "Clocked" - ToMoCo
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11897982

I would think they are 'miles' out with the figures. How many are done before the first MOT?

Recently, while looking for a car, the number of ads offering 'mileage correction' was astounding. Can't believe it's not illegal.
 Vehicles "Clocked" - hobby
I suspect it is if they can prove that they were aware they were doing it for someone who was going to sell on and mislead the prospective buyer... The trouble is proving it...

And there are occasions when clocking could be genuine... such as replacing the speedo head with a higher mileage one and winding it back to the original mileage...
 Vehicles "Clocked" - oilburner
Tip of the iceberg?

Any car which had it's mileage wound back before the computerised MOT system will not be spotted, any car which only has a slight "haircut" before an MOT will not be spotted and any car wound back before its first MOT will not be spotted.

Is the real figure likely to be 2-3 million or more?

As for replacing speedos, no need. Most cars are too smart and will set the new speedo to the old (higher) mileage - Citroën's work this way for instance. So it's easier and more effective to connect a laptop to the car and lower the mileage that way instead.
 Vehicles "Clocked" - Stuu
One reason I like cars with invoice backed full service history. The MOT history check is worth doing aswell. You dont need much info and it goes back 5 years - worth checking it against any other paperwork. Luckily, the Daewoooo all matches up perfectly.
 Vehicles "Clocked" - Mapmaker
>>One reason I like cars with invoice backed full service history.

Won't show you anything. Been doing 30k miles p.a.? That's 100k miles every three years. Much better to show it doing 10k miles. Keep it within warranty, spend less on servicing, and cheaper insurance costs too.

And that's all before the first MOT... quick haircut before annual main dealer 12k/12 month service.
 Vehicles "Clocked" - Stuu
The idea of an elderly man having his Daewoo clocked every year for the MOT/service, so that its worth £50 more when he finally sells it...nah, not buying it.
Latest Forum Posts