Motoring Discussion > Left hand thread on towing eye ~ why? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 3

Left hand thread on towing eye ~ why? - L'escargot
I've mentioned it before, but my post got lost in a snow drift!

Why has my Focus's towing eye got a left-hand thread? Serious replies only, please.
 Left hand thread on towing eye ~ why? - Injection Doc
Its to do with the way a rope is bound, when the rope is pulled it will try & unwindwind!
 Left hand thread on towing eye ~ why? - -
Some others are normal RH thread, could it be to ensure only the correct eye is used to keep the integrity of the thread by preventing someone forcing a different towing eye in which could be extremely dangerous in a recovery.

Out of interest many new cars come with disposable (probably supposed to be returned) but very strong towing eyes already fitted in both ends, for use in transport ships/trains not for car road transporter use.
 Left hand thread on towing eye ~ why? - Bellboy
good point gb and a timely warning i nearly lost my head when a wrong towing eye had been fitted to a vw polo by the gimp in the mask fool
ive also seen lash downs ripped out of chassis's and floors by overzealousk towing

read your car manual peoples before proceeding and remember the bumper cover always breaks when you remove them which is a right pain seeing as most a paint colour co ordaindinated by sister mary
Latest Forum Posts