Motoring Discussion > Only just dawned on him? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 9

Only just dawned on him? - PhilW
www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7061159.ece

And yet the ordinary motorist goes through this day after day after day.
Just had a phone call from my son - M1 closed near Luton - will call on us on his way home a couple of hours later than anticipated and this on a Sunday.
I got home 2 hrs later than expected on Friday - damn M25.
Colleague spent 2 hours stationary on M40 on Thursday.
I could go on
It's normal ain't it?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 00:20
 Only just dawned on him? - -
Funny isn't it, only when a politician or celebrity/royal get affected by something is there a fuss, whilst the rest of us unimportant folk can stew for eternity.

I really can't take any of them seriously any more, especially politicians they should know better.
 Only just dawned on him? - Londoner
"Politician pledges improvement"

You'd think that we were due an election or something.
 Only just dawned on him? - ....
Without getting all political, the bold approach he may be looking for is taking control of basic infrastructure away from any Government of the day.
There is no long term planning because they only sit for five years at a time.
How can you plan roads/transport, energy, pensions etc. with such short term targets ?
 Only just dawned on him? - Zero
firstly, you dont trust anyone who is

a: A lord
b: A politician
c: someone who his named after a greek god famed for his masculine body.

Secondly

He has neither the power, portfolio, money or clout to do anything

Nice pre election sound bites though
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 14 Mar 10 at 21:38
 Only just dawned on him? - henry k
>>www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7061159.ece
>>
Theres pretty !
Strange ( but nice) seeing such a link that links without cut n paste. :-))
 Only just dawned on him? - smokie
Wasn't the Times front page article about this very same Lord who was going to make the drink driving limit something less than one pint?
 Only just dawned on him? - SteelSpark
With a name like that you would think that he would need make more of an effort, to avoid being a laughing stock. I don't know, lift some weights, get a tan, and a toupe...
 Only just dawned on him? - madf
Lord Adonis is a member of the Government which went to court to claim that political pledges made in a manifesto are not legally binding.

In other words, only idiots and the mentally deficient believe what politicians say they will do.

At the heart of the case was the question of whether a political party's election manifesto was legally enforceable and whether the public have a "legitimate expectation" to see measures pledged during an election campaign enacted.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2192093/Stuart-Wheeler-loses-EU-Lisbon-Treaty-court-case.html
 Only just dawned on him? - Bromptonaut
I declare two interests here as both career civil servant (though not in transport) and as supporter of broadly old labour priciples.

The elevation of adviser and academic Andrew Adonis to the Lords in order to make him an education minister horrified me. His theories had little support in the wider profession and frankly he failed.

However, since his move to Transport he has been widely regarded as an informed and succesful Minister, particulalry in the area of railways. He's put several bombs under people about rail development and a bit of personal experience of road delay will have a similar effect in that area.

The fact that he's not up for re-election and will undoubtedly find a niche after his ministerial life and is not trying to climb the greasy pole also works in his favour.

Ducks and takes cover :-0
Latest Forum Posts