Motoring Discussion > Non transferable registration mark? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 9

Non transferable registration mark? - Hard Cheese

What does it mean when it says "Non transferable registration mark" in the Special Notes section on the front of a Registration Certificate?

Does it mean that the number on the vehicle cannot be transferred to another vehicle?

Or does it mean that the vehicle cannot have another number, i.e. a private plate, transfered to it?

Thanks.
 Non transferable registration mark? - Manatee
It means the number can't be transferred to anther vehicle.

This typically arises when a number has been transferred away and an age-related replacement is issued by DVLA. The new number is always non-transferable.
 Non transferable registration mark? - Hard Cheese
>> This typically arises when a number has been transferred away and an age-related replacement is issued by DVLA. The new number is always non-transferable.
>>

Though the vehicle can have another number transfered to it?

Last edited by: Cheddar on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 12:30
 Non transferable registration mark? - Bellboy
yes
 Non transferable registration mark? - Slidingpillar
Also happens some times where the original number is put back on a car that was re-registered. But in those cases the number would be notionally very valuable and DVLA would be giving it to you, hence the non-transferable bit.

Generally happens where there is significant racing history associated with that car and number.

You ought to know though if that had happened, I'd try googling the number and see what appears.
 Non transferable registration mark? - Tooslow
I worked with a guy who did this. He had a car with a known racing history but somewhere along the way it acquired a new reg. He got the original reg back onto the car but could not transfer it to any other car, though as you say, the car could be the recipient of a different number if you were daft enough to do so.
John
 Non transferable registration mark? - Bromptonaut
I think this will apply if you're allocated an age related mark to a restored vehicle or to one that's come of a personal plate.

The MoL gave up driving in 2002 and her three letter/two number plate went on retention. Her car, a bog standard Astra, was given back the J123 ABC type plate it had worn from new (and which had been etched in the glass by the previous owner. It was, nonetheless, stated to none non-transferable.
 Non transferable registration mark? - Iffy
Car with a racing history?

I think Cheddar's just fainted.

It's alright, mate, honest, it just had a private plate.
 Non transferable registration mark? - Bellboy
what a shame
i would love j123abc
oh well
 Non transferable registration mark? - Ted
>> Also happens some times where the original number is put back on a car that
>> was re-registered. But in those cases the number would be notionally very valuable

I'm in this situation, I have a moped with it's original number and I can't get it off to put on my modern bike.

TED ***

So, it just sits in the garage and probably won't see the road again.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 16:40
Latest Forum Posts