Motoring Discussion > Keep or flog? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 32

Keep or flog? - Stuu
I wonder, does it make more sense to sell a car with 6 months MOT left ( and 6m tax ) or wait until the MOT is due and sell it with a new ticket but risk the expense from an MOT?

I used to sell my cars on after 6 months, Im wondering if I should do the same now.
I was going to run it till the MOT, but Im having second thoughts with my back playing up ( my wife had to put my socks on yesterday, not funny ).

It owes me maybe £570 which I think I could realise on Ebay with current prices.

Im not sure, its a decent enough car mechanically, theres no looming issues Im aware of once the exhaust is changed on Weds.

Im also wondering if ill have to lay down serious extra cash to secure anything half as good. Talk me outta selling anyone :-)
 Keep or flog? - Lygonos
Take it for an MOT now - if it passes you have 12 mths ticket making it easier to sell.

If it fails on something costly you can still sell it with 6 mths left, and the repairs are SEP.
 Keep or flog? - bathtub tom
>>the repairs are SEP.

Pedant alert, should that be an SEP? ;>)

The problem nowadays with taking it for an MOT early. If it fails or gets an advisory, it's recorded and visible to anyone with with interweb thingmy.
 Keep or flog? - RattleandSmoke
And if the insurance company finds out depending on the clauses they may refuse to pay out in an accident. Even in six months time if it fails the MOT then it will still be worth something for scrap.

Keep or flog? - Lygonos
If a car was unroadworthy surely you'd want to know about it?

And if it just had a few hundred quid if advisories surely you'd rather punt it before 6 more months went past and the advisories became fails and the potential 400-500 quid sale became a 50 quid scrapper?
 Keep or flog? - henry k
>> The problem nowadays with taking it for an MOT early. If it fails or gets
>> an advisory, it's recorded and visible to anyone with with interweb thingmy.
>>
Would a customer looking for a car in that price range search the web for MoT history?
 Keep or flog? - ....
>> Talk me outta selling anyone :-)
>>
Now why would anyone attempt that Stu ? This one is well past it's Stutime.
9 weeks is your average and you've had this one waaaay past that...you've already got the next one parked up outside chez Stu and you're just teasing us.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 21:40
 Keep or flog? - Stuu
I knew it was along shot asking :-) I used to buy cars with 12 months MOT, run them to 6 months and sell them on. In the main, it worked too.

I honestly havent anything lined up. Cars the higher seating I want aint cheap! I quite like those Rover 400 Tourers, but alas, too low down.
 Keep or flog? - ....
I reckon you've found a mint Alfa 33 Green Cloverleaf estate 1.7 16v and forgotten about your back until February... :-P
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 21:59
 Keep or flog? - R.P.
Very, very slowly move away from the Alfa :-)
 Keep or flog? - ....
I was soooo tempted PU ! I was within minutes of buying one until I put my hands in the rear wheelarches and found this one had been used by a farmer for ploughing his fields. I bought the Mk2 Golf GTi instead but boy was it close...

EDIT:This was a dealer prepared model in Swindon, 1995
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 22:08
 Keep or flog? - Avant
Maybe hang on to the Espero until you've seen an osteopath who can tell you how curable your back problem is.
 Keep or flog? - Stuu
>>Maybe hang on to the Espero until you've seen an osteopath who can tell you how curable your back problem is.<<

3 weeks ago, my doctor told me he would send out a letter. I rang Friday, no letter has so far emerged from him... I wont hold my breath. Go NHS :-)
 Keep or flog? - Zero
He meant a private osteopath.

It doesn't cost much for an initial consultation and you get an idea of what might be wrong and if, how and when its fixable.
 Keep or flog? - Bellboy
how do you know it wasnt the daywoo expresso that dun your back?
it is a failed car from a failed company where even the man in charge dun a runner from if you remember your hist rie
shoot the thing
back get better
you buy nice fiesta
 Keep or flog? - Stuu
Because my back has been bad for a couple of years... :-)
 Keep or flog? - Bellboy
>> Because my back has been bad for a couple of years... :-)
>>
> now trust me here
i had a bad back for years too then stopped running vauxhalls
havent had a bad back for nearly 10 years now
daewoo was nearly a vauxhall remember but its parts came from the soiled bins
 Keep or flog? - Lygonos
Ha ha ha.

"You're XXXXXX is out of alignment. I recommend a course of 12 weekly treatments @ £25 a pop, followed by a top-up treatment every month to stop XXXXXX going back out again."

Take your kids too, they like to get the suckers in young.
 Keep or flog? - Videodoctor
"my wife had to put my socks on yesterday"

I hope she gave them back to you after she'd taken them off her feet!!
 Keep or flog? - RattleandSmoke
I've said this before but since getting the Panda and I've rarely had back problems. I realise now just how bad low down cars can be for backs.

Keep or flog? - Roger.
Yes, at our ages (75 this month and 73) low cars are a real problem for knee joints! That's why we are going (subject to a dealer air con repair) going to buy a SEAT Alhambra tdi.
X fingers it doesn't break.
 Keep or flog? - -
>> "my wife had to put my socks on yesterday"

Yes we know and as a gentleman you had to help her to dress too, that explains the bad back..;)

Keep or flog? - Zero
The bad back is probably caused by too many hours bent over the keyboard paging through the "sheds for sale" section of Ebay...... ;)
 Keep or flog? - Netsur
Went out this weekend with a mate in his Merc C200K. Sat in the back with the missus. Far too low for access and egress. Hurt my back getting out.

That's why I have driven slightly higher cars for the last seven years.
 Keep or flog? - Runfer D'Hills
>> Went out this weekend with a mate in his Merc C200K.

Using you for ballast was he?

:-)
 Keep or flog? - Stuu
Ok, well on the theme of high seating, anyone any clues which mainstream estates gave higher seating than normal but are not actually MPVs. I recall the Volvo 240 has higher seating ( although ive never sat in one myself ) so ive been looking at them, anything else?
 Keep or flog? - Boxsterboy
Peugeot 307 SW?
 Keep or flog? - sherlock47
When my back was bad, the worst car to drive was my Volvo 240! It was not the height of the seat, it was the clearance between the seat squab and the top of the door frame.

The best car of those that I had to hand was, believe it or not, a Mini 1275GT.

Keep or flog? - Stuu
Im quite short heightwise so Im in no danger with that, my issues come with straightening up, so a car I can step out of rather than climb out of is what Im looking for.
 Keep or flog? - MD
>> Im quite short heightwise so Im in no danger with that, my issues come with
>> straightening up, so a car I can step out of rather than climb out of
>> is what Im looking for.
>>
Jimny. Ok Ok.......forget it! BUT..........1st class this weather I can tell you.
 Keep or flog? - Stuu
Be a bit small in the back for my kit, maybe a Vitara auto though, they did a 5dr mid 90's one.
 Keep or flog? - Netsur
"Using you for ballast was he?"

Well I am trying to lose weight!
Last edited by: Espada III on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 16:25
 Keep or flog? - Old Sock
Flog it, but you can stay brand-loyal with:

tinyurl.com/2vp88zf

High seating position too.....
Latest Forum Posts