Motoring Discussion > How not to get boxed in? Legal Questions
Thread Author: teabelly Replies: 0

How not to get boxed in? - teabelly
One issue which I find to be the greatest challenge while driving is avoiding getting boxed in on the main carriageway when approaching a slip road on a dual carriageway when traffic is heavy and bunched. I'm not the kind of person that just hangs out in the right hand lane regardless although I am wondering whether that would be the safest solution. It also becomes quite tricky not to do the same to others as generally people drive far too close to the vehicle in front so there isn't a gap you can leave so they could still move across if they needed to. Having had someone drive into me from a slip road because that very thing occurred I am more inclined to try and avoid the situation repeating itself as much as possible.

Is it just best to ignore the problem, sit in the left hand lane at a steady pace with sufficient gaps in front and behind and let the others fight it out? Or would a more active approach be better - slowing down to allow others to join while trying not be parallel to those in the rh land that insist on being right next to you so you can't move across. Or would sticking in the rh lane like a demented limpet going with the flow be the safest (but not necessarily the most considerate) solution?
Latest Forum Posts