Motoring Discussion > Battery top up charging. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 108

Battery top up charging. - Old Navy
As I have car OCD I give my car battery a top up charge most weekends. I use an automatic charger that drops to a float charge when the battery is fully charged. In winter it can take several hours to fully charge a battery even though it is not showing any signs of low charge.
 Battery top up charging. - Clk Sec
I don't drive many miles, so checking my battery is something I do at least once a month. It will usually need charging for an hour or two.

Don't think I'd bother on a weekly basis, though.
 Battery top up charging. - L'escargot
I've never checked the level of charge of the battery in my life. I rely on the car's alternator to look after it ~ which it always does.
 Battery top up charging. - Zero
>> As I have car OCD I give my car battery a top up charge most
>> weekends. I use an automatic charger that drops to a float charge when the battery
>> is fully charged. In winter it can take several hours to fully charge a battery
>> even though it is not showing any signs of low charge.

Why?
I could have been one of those stuck on the M80 for 18 hours yesterday, It would be good to start with a well charged battery. Also the most common breakdown callout is for a flat battery, I can do without the hassle. Lift bonnet, attach two clips, switch on charger. Hardly difficult.

Happy with that bite Z ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 14:55
Bite?

No - I always query things that are not required.
>>Why?

>>As I have car OCD
:-)
 Battery top up charging. - RattleandSmoke
I never bother but I don't have off road parking so it would be a major hassle for me. I do every 6 months or so check the output of both the alternator and battery on the Fiesta.
>> I never bother but I don't have off road parking>>

It does help to have a garage accessible from the house, I even get coffee and biscuits delivered occasionally, (chocolate ones if I have behaved myself),
 Battery top up charging. - RichardW
It won't help ON - when the battery goes it will just go one day with no warning - which is probably why so many call outs are to flat batteries. The alternator does a good job of keeping mine charged! And alternators charge at low engine rpms, not like dynamos, so no need to worry about it going flat as long as the engine is idling. If there was a problem, then just raise the revs to 1200 rpm for 1/2 hour or so.
>> It won't help ON - when the battery goes it will just go one day
>> with no warning>>

Agreed, I have had one do that. Its the cold weather, multiple short journey starts with a heavy electrical load that depletes the charge level.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 15:23
Thats how my dads Fiesta one died. Always started instantly and then the next morning the battery just decided to die.
Why is it that there are no warning signs when batteries in modern cars fail. One day they can be working one hundred percent as they should, the next day they can be as flat as a pancake?
 Battery top up charging. - Harleyman
>> Why is it that there are no warning signs when batteries in modern cars fail.
>> One day they can be working one hundred percent as they should, the next day
>> they can be as flat as a pancake?
>>

Probably because the warning gubbins would have to be electronic, and therefore of no use once the battery's dead. ;-)
I think he means that in older batteries you often got warnings. It would become slow to turn over etc. On modern batteries it will start first time instantly one second and be dead the next. I wonder if it is simply because the electronics are draining so much when the car is not in use?
 Battery top up charging. - -
Maybe they die suddenly cos no one apart from those with OCD looks after their battery with a regular conditioning charge.
Quite apart from the fact that Mr Normal Motorist (not any of us we're hardly normal) wouldn't notice anything amiss such as the starter slowing up.

Gave the pick up an overnighter last weekend, the MB is currently connected and the C2 will have a session this weekend.

Just out of interest exactly what does the charger do differently when on low temp charge mode?
 Battery top up charging. - hawkeye
>>
>> Just out of interest exactly what does the charger do differently when on low temp
>> charge mode?
>>

Slightly higher voltage. The instructions on my Auto-XS (Aldi) charger say that it will give up to 14.4 volts on a normal charge and 14.7 volts on the low-temp charge. 14.4v is the voltage at which gassing occurs at normal temperatures, 14.7v below 0°C. Don't know why. Wikipedia has loads to say on the subject, only some of which I can grasp.
>> Slightly higher voltage. The instructions on my Auto-XS (Aldi) charger say that it will give
>> up to 14.4 volts on a normal charge and 14.7 volts on the low-temp charge.

Spot on hawkeye, You prompted me to look at the instructions for my LIDL version of that charger, It is the same, 14.7 in cold mode, and also used for AGM batteries over 14ah. I can't find my instructions for the ALDI one.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 15:50
>> Why?
>>

Any multi cell battery will develop a cell imbalance. As an automatic charger (or car alternator) will cut out or reduce the charge to a low level when the first battery cell is fully charged, the remaining cells will not fully charge. An occasional extended charge (known as an equalising charge) will bring all the cells to a fully charged state. This is also why many small rechargeable batteries instructions advise a 16 hour charge before use. It also works for 228 cell submarine batteries, these are usually discharged and given an equalising charge every 3 months.
 Battery top up charging. - Dog
>>It also works for 228 cell submarine batteries<<

Must be a 2 man job to lift those me thinks :)
No problem, the cells only weigh a ton each. :-)
 Battery top up charging. - Iffy
...No problem, the cells only weigh a ton each. :-)...

That's 228 tons - no wonder the boat runs under the water.
And thats only one of the batteries.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 14:35
 Battery top up charging. - Old Sock
"It also works for 228 cell submarine batteries"

Would they be U-2 or U-11s ?
>>I think he means that in older batteries you often got warnings. It would become slow to turn over etc. On modern batteries it will start first time instantly one second and be dead the next. I wonder if it is simply because the electronics are draining so much when the car is not in use?

Exactly what I meant to say, Rattle.
>>Exactly what I meant to say, Rattle.

Anyone know?
 Battery top up charging. - Old Sock
It may be that the 'sudden' failure mechanism has always existed, but that better charging control (and different plate materials) have reduced 'slow death' failures to the point where the former is more noticeable.
My theory is that car electrical systems now consume far more power than they used to. Batteries now give, and are charged with far more power than they had to in the past.

This coupled with the fact that most engines now start almost instantly (unlike 10 or 20 seconds of churning you used to have) you never get the chance to feel or sense the declining performance of the battery means that "sudden death" syndrome is almost inevitable.
Sudden death ...

This year I have replaced batteries on Mrs H's C3 (8-y-o) and my C8 (6-y-o). Both were low maintenance i.e. can't top them up. The C3 was picked up not starting with as much vigour as usual; the C8 had sudden death while in Mrs H's custody.

When the glued-on tops were removed with a few smart blows with a hammer and chunky screwdriver, the plates were seen to be bone dry, and I don't mean damp. The 45Ah battery from the C3 has come back to life with water from the rain barrel, a Bat-Aid tablet in each cell and some volts from the Aldi charger. The C8 battery, after similar treatment, will run the tyre inflator for a few minutes and then fade away. I think the recovery man did something horrible to it to get Mrs H going and it's damaged. ISTR that I shared about half-a-litre of water between the batteries.

Conclusion; if you can't top the things up, they're doomed Capt. Mainwaring.
>> Conclusion; if you can't top the things up, they're doomed Capt. Mainwaring.
>>

I agree.

I have had an old battery in my garage for at least ten years, when it was retired after only a couple of years use the cell caps were forcibly removed and the electrolyte was down to the top of the plates. A topup with water, and a charge every three or four months kept it in good enough condition to jump start a neighbours diesel van recently. He doesn't charge his battery either. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 12:18
 Battery top up charging. - FotheringtonTomas
It's all down to sludge.
>> It's all down to sludge.
>>

No, thats central heating. :-)
It could be that batteries don't get a work out like they did in the olde days - no more dawn chorus of a street full of starter motors whirring away and taking quite a lot out of the poor old battery and then being recharged anew.
>> It could be that batteries don't get a work out like they did in the
>> olde days - no more dawn chorus of a street full of starter motors whirring
>> away and taking quite a lot out of the poor old battery and then being
>> recharged anew.
>>

This may be the equivalent of the quarterly discharge, and equalising charge that I described above.
>>This may be the equivalent of the quarterly discharge, and equalising charge that I described above<<

Was that what they called 'cycling' in the old days O/N?.
Not as far as I know, I was referring to big (submarine) lead acid batteries. It was a set battery maintenance procedure. I apply an equalising charge to my car batteries to ensure that all the cells are fully charged. There may be a difference of terminology in different fields of use.
I reckon it's wise to occasionally cycle the rechargeables on the various electrical gadgets I have.
Me too, any multi cell battery needs all it cells to be fully charged to give its best.
I'll wager you've got one of these laying about at the back of your garage, Iffy.

tinyurl.com/2e2prfm
>>I apply an equalising charge to my car batteries to ensure that all the cells are fully charged<<

Interesting O/N, what sort of charger would one use for that then?
Just a standard ALDI / LIDL smart charger, It drops to a trickle charge when the first cell is fully charged. After that it just takes time, but means the battery does not gas. I can't tell when the battery has all its cells fully charged, but if the battery has been on charge for a couple of days it can't be far off.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 11:16
The battery is gonna got PHUT in 6 years, is it really worth al this hastle.

Two days? its not a submarine, a dead battery is not going to kill you.
I passed a newish Chelsea tractor being boost charged by an AA van in a shopping shed car park this morning, the driver probably didn't expect a flat battery, and had not even given it a thought until it screwed up their day.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 11:30
Lights left on? defective alternator? failing plate on the battery?

I dont have a battery charger, not had one for 15 years.

The only time I have been dumped by a flat battery is when the VAG electronics decided to turn the lights on in the middle of the night,
>> The battery is gonna got PHUT in 6 years, is it really worth al this
>> hastle.
>>
What is with this "hassle" Z, when my car is in the garage the charger is mounted on the wall alongside the front of the car and is already plugged in. Pop the bonnet and connect two clips, switch on the charger. If you call that hassle you must live a stressful life.
Yup Hastle

I have two plastic covers than need to be popped off. You need to pop the bonnet, lean over a dirty car. Its hastle

What I do, is I park the car on my drive, switch it off, and go in doors for a cup of coffee.

I dont waste time and effort on unnecessary crap.
>>Just a standard ALDI / LIDL smart charger<<

Ah, I see - Thanks.
 Battery top up charging. - Netsur
Had a Merc a few years ago that kept dropping charge. Turned out it had a failed cell and that was enough to require a replacement.
 Battery top up charging. - Manatee
>>can't tell when the battery has all its cells fully charged, but if the battery has been on
>> charge for a couple of days it can't be far off.

Your charger might tell you. Smart chargers have three key modes -

- Constant current mode, in which the voltage rises as the battery absorbs more charge

- Constant voltage, during which the current gradually falls and the battery is brought to full charge. Probably about 14.4V.

- Pulse mode, which will keep the battery at full charge without causing it to gas/overheat.

There's usually an indicator that will show you it's gone to pulse mode, if so, you can tell when it's "done".
>> There's usually an indicator that will show you it's gone to pulse mode, if so,
>> you can tell when it's "done".
>>

Yes there is an indicator, but the charger only detects (say) 14.4v and switches to pulse mode, it can't tell what the individual cells state of charge is and it only takes some to be fully charged to give 14.4v to switch the charger.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 18:59
Are you sure you're not talking about a submarine?

I think the pulse mode probably comes in when the current drops almost to zero, rather than the battery voltage rises. It can't actually measure the voltage while it is applying a constant 14.4V ;-)
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 19:07
>> Are you sure you're not talking about a submarine?
>>
That is the basis of my limited knowledge, I just find that an overnight battery charge most weekends in winter when I am doing mainly short journeys with a high electrical load is good for my peace of mind. I am just an old duffer who would rather his battery was nearer fully charged than 75% charged.

Still, it got you lot going for a while. :-)
 Battery top up charging. - Skoda
>> I am just an old duffer who would rather his battery was nearer fully charged than 75% charged.

I changed my mind, i don't want to be a pensioner anymore ;-)
>> I changed my mind, i don't want to be a pensioner anymore ;-)
>>

Not even for a garage with an insulated remote controlled power door, heat, lighting, storage for your tools, a bench with a vice, and a coffee delivery service? :-)
>> Still, it got you lot going for a while. :-)

;-)
>> I apply an equalising charge to my car batteries to ensure that all the cells are
>> fully charged.

If in fact your charger does what you imagine it to do, I cannot think of any advantage. It's a good battery, or it's not.
>>Anyone know?

Many thanks.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 16:50
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 16:51
...golden
>>...golden

Hear, hear.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 17:41
 Battery top up charging. - Oldgit
I would suggest to the majority of you that you adopt the simple answer and that is - Get a new battery and stop faffing (sp?) around.
Should I keep a car more than, say, four years a new battery is de riguer! However I do have a 40 year old Davenset charger and use it on cars that don't get much usage - not mine, I should add.
...stop faffing (sp?)...

Spot on.

'Faffing' is described as an informal word, but there is widespread agreement on its spelling.

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/faff-about-around#faff-about-around__2
>> ...stop faffing (sp?)...
>>
>> Spot on.
>>

Being retired I can faff around as much as I like, whenever I like, and wherever in the world I like. If others choose to pass their time with boring stuff like working that is their choice, (or problem). :-)
...Being retired I can faff around as much as I like, whenever I like, and wherever in the world I like. If others choose to pass their time with boring stuff like working that is their choice, (or problem). :-)...

I was only answering Oldgit's spelling query.

You folk on the scrapheap, I mean retired, can be quite tetchy when the subject of filling in time is raised.

Me thinks you doth protesteth too much.
Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 09:37
 Battery top up charging. - sherlock47
>>You folk on the scrapheap, I mean retired, can be quite tetchy when the subject of filling in time is raised.<<<<

Filling time? I dont have the spare time to fill! But maybe after 15 years of practice......... :)
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 09:42
I will protest even more. Being retired is a huge time management task, just the pace is more leisurely, as you will find out eventually. :-)

Decisions, decisions, and the choice is enormous.
...as you will find out eventually. :-) ...

Not if I rely on the state retiring age I won't.

That 'target' keeps receding into the distance.

I'm 15-odd years from retiring now, and I'll probably still be 10 years from retiring in 10 years' time.

>> Anyone know?
>>Many thanks
>>...Golden
>>Hear, hear

Damn and blast! I missed ON's and Z's two deleted posts which followed one of mine above. However, curiosity got the better of me and my subsequent 'Hear, Hear' post was a hopelessly unsuccessful attempt to gain further information.

What have I missed, chaps? Don't keep me in suspense...
:-)
OK, I posted that a charger will cut out or drop to a trickle charge when the first cell reaches (say) 14.5v.

Which is total cobblers as a cell only produces about 1.5v.

I didn't see Zero's post.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 13:45
Well. that definitely deserved a severe reprimand.
And presumably it wouldn't know when a cell has reached 1.5V because it can only measure the total anyway?
Correct, but a battery can produce 14.5v without all the cells being fully charged.
>> Which is total cobblers as a cell only produces about 1.5v.

>> I didn't see Zero's post.

Which is what I said. but you deleted your post so i deleted mine. I also said the battery charger hasn't got the foggiest what each cell is charged at, just the total.

I had guessed that you had put me right. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 14:30
 Battery top up charging. - WillDeBeest
So to summarize what I've learned from this thread, when I notice that my Volvo is a little slow to crank (maybe two seconds) on the coldest mornings, it's either a warning that its eight-year-old battery is about to expire or, er, not.
}:---)

I do wonder how much the electrical load diminishes the battery's ability to recover. My regular journey is 25 miles each way, usually with lights, CC, rear demister on. Am I doing the battery any favours by denying myself the seat heater?

All this fuss with chargers seems rather pointless, though. The first battery has lasted this long; I may eventually replace it, and that one ought to last the rest of my time with the car.
>> I do wonder how much the electrical load diminishes the battery's ability to recover. My
>> regular journey is 25 miles each way, usually with lights, CC, rear demister on. Am
>> I doing the battery any favours by denying myself the seat heater?

Any battery will eventually give up, probably because of low electrolyte if nothing else happens to it. The main early killer of lead acid batteries though is repeated discharging below 50% capacity. This rarely happens with typical car use because only a fraction of the stored capacity is used at start up and is then put back quickly during running.

Only if drain is high and journeys short are you likely to have a problem with an otherwise healthy battery. If it seems to be cranking more slowly, then economise a bit on the power until it recovers.

I've been making free with the rear screen and mirror heaters, lights and bum warmers without, so far, any problems. Average journey over a week maybe 10 miles at the moment.

A battery will gradually lose capacity throughout its life, more so the deeper it is discharged (not usually a problem for car batteries, more so for leisure batteries in motorhomes etc).

If you want to be geeky about it, you can use a voltmeter (e.g. a cheap digital multimeter) roughly to check the state of charge, but you'll need to 'calibrate' first by checking the voltage when it's fully charged and has been rested for a few hours. It will probably be about 12.6V/12.7V at full charge. At 50% discharged, the voltage under the same conditions (after being off charge for a few hours) will be about 0.4V lower.

Note that this won't tell you how many Ah are left in it - if the capacity is much reduced, it will still read 12.6V (or whatever) at full charge. (Note also that it's the no-load volts you have to measure)

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 16:29
I shall carry on faffing about with the odd top up charge too, the C2's getting it's weekend's worth as i type.

If just once it means the difference between a start and 'click' then it will have been worth it, but will more than likely give an extended battery life.
Well it can't do any harm, as they say. And it's definitely a good idea to avoid over-discharging in very cold weather. A charged battery won't freeze, a flat one might and then it's kaput.
>> I shall carry on faffing about with the odd top up charge too, the C2's
>> getting it's weekend's worth as i type.
>>
>> If just once it means the difference between a start and 'click' then it will
>> have been worth it, but will more than likely give an extended battery life.
>>

I'll go a bit further. After my "dry battery" experience I'll consider knocking the tops off the new batteries so I can give them a drink in a year or two.

My battery maintenance faffing includes; caravan battery, spare caravan battery, 6-volt batteries on 2 bicycles (for the lights, we're not that far gone), C3 battery, C8 battery, all shared between 2 Aldi chargers.
>> I'll go a bit further. After my "dry battery" experience I'll consider knocking the tops
>> off the new batteries so I can give them a drink in a year or
>> two.
>>
>> My battery maintenance faffing includes; caravan battery, spare caravan battery, 6-volt batteries on 2 bicycles
>> (for the lights, we're not that far gone), C3 battery, C8 battery, all shared between
>> 2 Aldi chargers.
>>

I decapitated a one year old car battery that was retired before a trade in, the electrolyte was just at the top of the plates, so I caught that one just in time.

Don't forget to faff your phones, i-gadgets, etc. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 12:20
>> I'll go a bit further. After my "dry battery" experience I'll consider knocking the tops
>> off the new batteries so I can give them a drink

Ah now don't get excited but the original battery in the pick up has 6 lovely man size tops for the undoing of for the perusal of electrolyte level, which at 3 and a bit years hasn't changed, that battery will be replaced eventually with another from the main dealer who's price is competitive with quality aftermarket.

Why is the removing of those tops so satisfying...along with checking the engine oil level and feeling/smelling it's condition.
Half the trucks i drive now don't have dipsticks...go on enjoy that one..;)...there's something not quite right about not being able to see something so important.

That reminds me must give the jump pack some excercise..is it better to run a jump pack down and recharge it from almost flat or keep it fully charged?

>> That reminds me must give the jump pack some excercise..is it better to run a
>> jump pack down and recharge it from almost flat or keep it fully charged?

They're usually some variety of lead acid battery I think, so on that basis best not to discharge completely if possible, and if they are discharged below 50% then recharge asap to minimise deterioration. Keep fully charged of course, and if not used charge now and again, especially if not kept indoors. There is no need to fully cycle lead acid batteries. In fact the life is basically measured in cycles.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 12:52
The instructions for mine say recharge immediately after use and / or every three months.
We agree then!

Incidentally, as a boat owner some years ago who had lots of battery problems, I went to a great deal of trouble to find out about battery care. That is the basis of my comments here and earlier in the thread. Of course battery technology moves on and chemistry can differ, so it's not always possible to generalise and worth reading any destructions.
 Battery top up charging. - Tooslow
Reading the instructions!!!

If you must, but only afterwards.
john
Thanks chaps, i had been keeping it topped up anyway.

More concerning to me now is that there are some here who read instructions, really where will it all end..;)

Right must get out of this dressing gown and start car washing.
>> More concerning to me now is that there are some here who read instructions, really
>> where will it all end..;)

I didn't say I read the instructions! As my father used to say, do as I say, not as I do!
>> More concerning to me now is that there are some here who read instructions, really
>> where will it all end..;)
>>
>> Right must get out of this dressing gown and start car washing.
>>

I must be the ultimate saddo, I chuck the instructions for all the "outdoor" stuff in a shoe box in the garage, indoor stuff in a file in the house.

No car washing for me for a while, it is 0.6C outside with ice on the road, I dont wan't any ice on my drive. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 13:24
 Battery top up charging. - jc2
When all else fails,read the instructions!!!!
 Battery top up charging. - Tooslow
Or post a question under "non motoring". Cough!!
John
 Battery top up charging. - Marc
"Just a standard ALDI / LIDL smart charger, It drops to a trickle charge"

Is that the Ultimate Speed 3.8A trickle charger ON? If so, I've got one too. Great piece of kit and a third of the price of an Optimate.

I needed a trickle charger for the MX5's small capacity Panasonic gel battery. It's garaged anyway but not been run for 3-4 weeks now and therefore getting a charge once a week. Taking about 3 hours charge each time presumably due to the zero temps.

Wouldn't bother with our other cars unless they're going to stand for over a week.
>> Is that the Ultimate Speed 3.8A trickle charger ON? If so, I've got one too.
>> Great piece of kit and a third of the price of an Optimate.
>>

Yes, I also have an ALDI "Auto XS" one, Seems to be the same thing in a different coloured case.
I believe that the LIDL one is an old version CTEK 3600 reboxed - a respected charger that currently retails around the £40 mark :

www.ctek.com/en-gb/consumer/mxs-3600.aspx

When shopping around for a charger I noticed a used OE Porsche trickle charger on ebay that was identical to the LIDL charger.

Bargain for the price. Was going to shell out £40 for an Optimate as well.
This looks like an arf decent charger ~

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/oxford-oximiser-900/path/battery-chargers-engine-starters-2
>> This looks like an arf decent charger ~
>>
>> www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/oxford-oximiser-900/path/battery-chargers-engine-starters-2
>>

For batteries up to 30ah, for cars with lawnmower sized engines? And £50, no thanks.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 11:32
Lucky we got you O/N - my battery is a 47ah jobbie :)

How's about this one then ~

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wolf-Intelligent-12v-Battery-Charger-Optimiser-Car-Boat-/260705242826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb33e4eca
I'll stick with my ALDI / LIDL £12 smart chargers thanks. :-)
Yes, I know they're recommended O/N but - they are not always on the shelves.
You can monitor their "special buys" by subscribing to their newsletters. If the need is urgent the Accumate or Optimate 6/12v chargers look reasonable.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 16:56
I get the ALDI newsletter but I haven't seen any chargers of late, anyway - I've bought a Black & Decker one now which was recommended by Auto Express last year ~

www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212376/battery_charger_test.html

I paid £30 for it (+ p.p) as its now discontinued (like my car!)
Glad you are sorted, long may your battery be full. :-)
That Wolf charger looks like a repackaged CTEK 3600 also - same LED display and mode button as the LIDL charger.
My sister had a new battery fitted in January but she does many short journeys and so today i thought that I would give it a top up with my new Lidl Ultimate Speed ULG 3.8 A1 charger which is fully automated.
I put it on at 9am but the lights on it hadn't changed to green even by 4pm and so don't know what to make of it. I wish that it had a meter so that I could see how the charge was progressing.
Just how long would you expect this popular cheap charger to top up a battery that was only a few months old?
>>
>> Just how long would you expect this popular cheap charger to top up a battery
>> that was only a few months old?
>>

How long is a piece of string. :-) It depends on the batteries state of charge, a battery in regular use can be well down, mine takes up to five hours after short journey use. Leave it on charge overnight, that should top it up.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 17 Mar 13 at 17:11
The battery in my Lancer is 5 years old and the car doesn't do many miles these days, so I often give it a charge using a proper battery charger
www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-Battery-Charger-10A/dp/B003Q9B60A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Strangely though, it only takes in a couple of amps before it stops charging after about 10 minutes so obviously there must be plenty of life in the old battery yet, and the Lancers charging system must be top notch.
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 17 Mar 13 at 18:44
My MB battery went flat when i left the car phone on for a weekend still connected but out of its cradle (no auto switch off like that), the CTEK (same as Lidls) took a couple of days to get it back up to full.

Whilst in the mood i topped the Mitsi Outlander battery up too, it had lots of short runs but the charging system must be superb, took about 2 hours and all green.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 17 Mar 13 at 20:32
Her old defunct battery went green, when charged, in a few hours but it eventually failed her and left her stranded after a few stops and restarts. The battery was over seven years old and so was replaced. It is this new battery that I was experimenting with using the new Lidl charger and I was expecting the light to go green much sooner.
I will give it another go and leave the charger on overnight and see what happens after at least 12 hours of charging.
Latest Forum Posts