Motoring Discussion > Car scrap yards closed. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 17

Car scrap yards closed. - Bigtee
Up here in sunny hot West Yorkshire there was a number of scrap yards the sort of place it was enjoyable to rummage around on a weekend nicking switches & knobs off many a motor, And a place you could get many a spare part off the car from old to nearly new.

Other week we tried to get a part for a mates old banger which up here we call an old shed!, Those scrap yards we used to know have closed down & the same land has not been built on just yet seems a bit odd.

Is this the same through the country? Have the scrap yard of motor spares going to the wall or is it a case of all used spares removed and on the shelf?

We did find a part removed and on the shelf from another place, But all this seems strange when the old yards were full of scrap cars.

The enviromental bods have taken over with there approach to scrapping cars and the price seems to have gone up to accomodate this.!!
 Car scrap yards closed. - Stuu
Owners clubs and Ebay, the current source of good parts.
 Car scrap yards closed. - DP
Found a gem of a scrappy about a mile from my house last weekend who sorted me out with a replacement blower motor for the Golf for £30 with a 30 day guarantee. VW dealers want £110 for a new one, and an unknown brand pattern one is £77.

The parts are sold off the shelf, and you're not allowed into the yard where the vehicles themselves are, but I think Health and Safety has put paid to the traditional "get it yourself" breakers yards. It's a shame, as I'd always leave with a pocketful of spare fuses, switches and odd fixtures and fittings that I might be able to use in future.

Also agree with stu that Ebay is also a good source. A lot of breakers sell on there. Had parts for various cars and bikes over the years, and no problems.

Last edited by: DP on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 22:58
 Car scrap yards closed. - Zero
The lad uses a scrappy somewhere in Aldershot.
 Car scrap yards closed. - Bellboy
Bigtee if you remember simpsons of york then you may not be aware this company took it over?
they run a very large yard for all makes ,its a £1 to get in but you are left alone to take the bits you need,(pik a part you need to look at)
www.u-pull-it.co.uk/home.html
 Car scrap yards closed. - sherlock47
www.u-pull-it.co.uk/home.html

Brilliant idea - why can they not open a similar operation 'down sarf' ?
 Car scrap yards closed. - Hard Cheese

>> The lad uses a scrappy somewhere in Aldershot.
>>

It's probably simply a car park ;-)
 Car scrap yards closed. - Zero
In Aldershot?

Yes that's entirely possible.
 Car scrap yards closed. - hobby
Quite a few scrappies closed a few years ago round here... and the ones that are left did a really good job of getting rid of their old tin when scrap metal prices shot up a year or two ago... The result is that its now a bit of a sod to get hold of bits for cars over 30 years old as most of them have been cubed...
 Car scrap yards closed. - bathtub tom
There's a few thousand 'scrappage' still parked at Thurleigh airfield!
 Car scrap yards closed. - Chris S
>> Those scrap yards we used to know have closed
>> down & the same land has not been built on just yet seems a bit odd.

A lot of scrapyards closed down about 8 years ago when scrap metal prices collapsed.

Remember when people were dumping old cars rather than paying for them to be scrapped?
Last edited by: Chris S on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 12:27
 Car scrap yards closed. - henry k
I thought a lot of the closures were due to new regulations.
IIRC things like not allowing oil to drain onto the soil but requiring a concrete plinth.

Oh happy days ( prior to elf n safety) attacaking the third car up in a stack having opened the door to climb in or standing on the front bumper slashing hoses or looms to extract a part:-)

Car scrap yards closed. - Bellboy
yes enviromental laws closed many yards due to high compliance fees also remember land sale prices were unrealistic too so many a man sold up when to ireland speculated accumulated then lost the lot...........
>> Oh happy days ( prior to elf n safety) attacaking the third car up in
>> a stack having opened the door to climb in or standing on the front bumper
>> slashing hoses or looms to extract a part:-)

All the while being watched suspiciously by one of the owners' fleet of slightly mangy looking German Shepherds, as it sniffs hopefully at the scent of blood in the air, as you cut your finger or shins for the umpteenth time on the mangled bumper or jagged body panel.

Always loved removing parts from cars without having to follow the correct process. Cut hoses and wires, bend things or break anything in the way with a stout screwdriver or a hammer... good times. :-)

Car scrap yards closed. - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> Always loved removing parts from cars without having to follow the correct process. Cut hoses
>> and wires, bend things or break anything in the way with a stout screwdriver or
>> a hammer... good times. :-)
>>
>>
>>

Did you use to work at my local Vauxhall dealer by any chance?
No, but I was thinking of applying to Peugeot ;-)
 Car scrap yards closed. - Iffy
...Always loved removing parts from cars without having to follow the correct process...

Removing a hub from a Jaguar in a scrapyard is the only time I've ever used a nut-splitter.

It did the job, although the blade was showing some wear and tear afterwards.
 Car scrap yards closed. - bathtub tom
I remember trying to remove the head from an A40 Somerset in a scrappy. Once I'd got everything undone the damn ice was still holding it.

Thankfully never again!
Latest Forum Posts