Motoring Discussion > Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 41

Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - MD
Will the former perform as the latter?

Any other thoughts on making one's own de-icer.

Brrrrrrrrr. M
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - rtj70
I assume you don't mean antifreeze for use in screenwash!

Doesn't deicer work at lower temperatures than most screen wash though?
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Bromptonaut
I suspect the key ingredient of de-icer is some form of alcohol. Keep it in the car but it's third choice behind the long lead fan heater at home or a flask of warm water. Seems to encourage condensation and even frost on the inner surface of the screen. >> I assume you don't mean antifreeze for use in screenwash!
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Runfer D'Hills
Think I touched on this the other day in a different thread but what I do is keep a plant spray type bottle with a trigger action in the car filled with undiluted screenwash concentrate.

Of course it;'s always a good plan to keep a high level of concentrate in the washer bottle but going to 100% pure works out expensive if you do a lot of driving. So, when the jets freeze you have the following options. If you are just about to start a journey or can be bothered to stop in the middle of one, simply scoosh the concentrate on to the jets and it will usually free them up. Failing that just squirt some straight on to the screen.

If on the move with frozen jets and in a state of idleness or hurry, just roll the window down and squirt the concentrate on to the glass.

Undiluted screen wash is much less smeary than de-icer.

Other advantage of course is that if your washer bottle becomes empty while away from home, you still have some concentrate with you to add to the water re-fill. As anyone who has ever tried to buy screen wash concentrate on a cold day will know, the forecourts will always have run out !

There !

Next I'll describe how to make a Christmas candle holder out of coat hangers, sticky backed plastic and tinsel...

:-)
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - CGNorwich
I do is keep a plant spray type bottle with a trigger action in the car filled with undiluted screenwash concentrate.

My bottle of screenwash says in big letters 'DO NOT ALLOW UNDILUTED SCREENWASH TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH PAINTWORK"
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Runfer D'Hills
Fair enough, but so far so good.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - L'escargot
>> My bottle of screenwash says in big letters 'DO NOT ALLOW UNDILUTED SCREENWASH TO COME
>> INTO CONTACT WITH PAINTWORK"

What brand is it? My Halfords concentrated doesn't give that warning.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - CGNorwich
I'm fairly certain it was CarPlan but the bottle has been consigned to the re-cycling bin. Have some Halfords too and agree nothing on their bottle to that effect.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 18:40
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Tooslow
"I assume you don't mean antifreeze for use in screenwash!" as it's quite a good paint stripper I believe.

Why would you do that?

John
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Iffy
As Tooslow says, radiator anti-freeze in the washer bottle is a big no-no.

When my brother was in the RAF in Germany he had access via the Naafi to cheap vodka, which he and quite a few others used in their washer bottles.

He told me it was no dearer than screenwash if used in a reasonable dilution, and had the advantage of being always available.

Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - VxFan
Where I used to work, we had all manner of solvents to hand. We found the best DIY screenwash comprised of a capful of meths, and a capful of washing up liquid mixed into a 5 litre container of water. If it was really cold, then use 2 capfuls of meths instead of just one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 12:34
...a capful of meths...

Good thought - that's what my de-icer spray smells of.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Baz
Anti freeze is usually ethylene glycol and I wouldn't chance it in washer bottle. Screen wash is usually recovered Iso propyl alcohol. Any alcohol will lower the freezing point. You can make your own screenwash if you have some cheap meths about (which is denatured alcohol), just make up a 25 to 50% solution with water and add a squirt (technical term) of washing up liquid.
A drop of glycerine (glycerol) will also help.
Don't buy ready to use screen wash, a very expensive way of buying water!
Asda and Tesco sell concentrate at cheapest I can find.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Tooslow
It says here www.freel2.com/forum/topic4697.html

"-7 here today. wash bottle frozen It defrosted during a tri"p to harrogate where it is -3, then re-froze as I drove back home. So I tried to add more screenwash to the bottle, and guess what, the concentrated stuff is frozen in its tub , Tesco's"

So the search for the lowest freezing, cheapest, generally available continues.

John
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Old Navy
It was -9c here this morning, My screenwashers worked without problems. It is the first time I have seen condensation freeze on the inside of double glazing, (must stop breathing in the bedroom!).
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - R.P.
According to the news ON, the Army are en-route to dig you out !
...According to the news ON, the Army are en-route to dig you out !...

They'll probably leave him to freeze when they find out he's ex-Senior Service.

I am fine, we were JCB'd out over Saturday and Sunday, we have open front gardens and drives with many car sized piles of snow on pavements, gardens and driveways, my drive is one car deep but five cars wide and I have two big piles of snow and room to park and access the garage. In my experience the less you have to do with the army the better. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 14:33
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Perky Penguin
Unless the sea is full of invasion barges and the sky full of paratroops of course!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 16:13
>> Unless the sea is full of invasion barges and the sky full of paratroops of
>> course!
>>
Do you think there is enough of the army (or any other armed forces) in the UK to sort that type of problem out ?

They could not cover for a fire strike these days.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 16:18
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - IJWS14
Was in Tesco this morning, their diluted screenwash states OK to -2, their concentrate -5 undiluted. (might have numbers wrong way round)

Outside temperature -6 ! ! ! ! !

Didn't buy any.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Perky Penguin
Quite correct iffy; even in the late 80s I was bringing BOLS Silver Top gin back from Germany at an equivalent price of £2.80 for a litre of 40% proof. I brought so much back (legally I add) that I didn't buy gin for my first 7 years back in UK!
The freezing point of a mixture of 25% alcohol 75% water is -10°C.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - FotheringtonTomas
5L of meths. - if you can get it at £16, still £4/5L of -10C screenwash; at £10 for 5L, £2.50 for 5L of -10C screenwash.

Lidl is cheap - look on their website in January, that's when it was in stock last time.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Oldgit
When I left my job as an Analytical Chemist 18 years ago (at a very young age, I should add!!) I took home a 5 litre can of Industrial Methylated Spirits in order to help my firm run down the stock held in a 40 gallon drum we had of in the storage yard.

This was a water white, pleasant smelling liquid containing over 90% Ethyl Alcohol and Methyl Alcohol and water making up the balance. This was of course undrinkable because of the poisonous nature of the Methy Alcohol present.
My supply of this, is coming to an end as I have used it over the years for general cleaning where an 'alcohol' is the preferred solvent. The only other source is that dreadful mineralised Meths or denatured Alcohol, obtainable from the DIY stores and which contains a purple dyestuff and Pyridine in addition to Methyl Alcohol. This isn't even pleasant to use as a cleaner due to the residual smell of Pyridine.

I imagine this could be used to formulate a washer additive although I would not use it on my car. I always leave this type of product to the 'experts' in the field!
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Baz
OG, you can buy reasonable quality IMS in French hypermarkets, up to 95% ethanol, without pyridine added. The French are fortunately a bit more enlightened about allowing sale of chemicals. I also have bought concentrated hydrochloric and sulphuric and litre bottles of acetone over there.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Oldgit
>> OG, you can buy reasonable quality IMS in French hypermarkets, up to 95% ethanol, without
>> pyridine added. The French are fortunately a bit more enlightened about allowing sale of chemicals.
>> I also have bought concentrated hydrochloric and sulphuric and litre bottles of acetone over there.
>>
That's good to know but it is a shame I'll never be able to go over there and pick some up due to travel phobias.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Cliff Pope
>> I took home a 5 litre can of Industrial Methylated
>> Spirits in order to help my firm run down the stock held in a 40
>> gallon drum we had of in the storage yard.
>>
>>>>

I'm sure it was all legit in your case, but isn't that a lovely euphemism? :)

"I slipped these spare parts out through a side door in order to help my firm run down its stocks"
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - sherlock47
During the summer I bought 5L of Lidl special offer screenwash. 'Made in Germany', and if used at 100% concentration it is claimed to be good to-60 deg C.

My recent purchase of BOGOFF Carplan has no temperatures shown.
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 18:22
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - RattleandSmoke
I find cold water does the trick if it is not too cold. I mixed some water at 2c-4c and poured on the windscreen the ice melted in seconds. It was about 1c outside. Using water is not recomend for obvious reasons if is below 0c though.

The problem with de-icer is I find it leaves an oil effect on the windscreen.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
Change your brand of de icer if it leaves an oily film.
I'm using Lidl concentrate but it is unfortunately not a regularly stocked item.
Beware the freezing points of premixes. Some say nothing at all and the pre mixed stuff I bought last week is OK down to -15C.
Last edited by: Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P} on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 13:13
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Rudedog
I've just seen the Lidl's stuff this afternoon in my local supermarket (£4.99 for 5 litres), looks quite good, citrus smell and compatible with fan-jets, think I'll give it a try.
>> Change your brand of de icer if it leaves an oily film.
>> I'm using Lidl concentrate but it is unfortunately not a regularly stocked item.

I think Rattle is talking about aerosol de-icers, not screenwash.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Manatee
>> Will the former perform as the latter?
>>
>> Any other thoughts on making one's own de-icer.
>>
>> Brrrrrrrrr. M
>>

It does for me. I got fed up with spraying de-icer and tipped neat Holts concentrated screenwash into the reservoir. For the last week or so I've been spraying the windscreen to melt the ice.

My original idea was to put the screen wash in a trigger spray but I couldn't lay hands on one at the time.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - MD
I have only just returned to this and I can now see the error of the subject line.

IS DE-ICER THE SAME AS SCREEN WASH ADDITIVE?? I am not S H O U T I N G.::))
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Manatee
No. Is that the right answer?
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 14 Dec 10 at 22:51
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Lygonos
Costco: 5 litres of Holts 'double concentrate' screenwash for £4.69.

Neat to -36c

1:1 to -16c

1:4 to -6c

1:18 for non-winter use.

These temperatures are about in-line with the neat product being around 45-50% ethanol.
>> I have only just returned to this and I can now see the error of
>> the subject line.
>>
>> IS DE-ICER THE SAME AS SCREEN WASH ADDITIVE?? I am not S H O U
>> T I N G.::))
>>

Chemically or physically? All the de-icers I've seen have been in the form of aerosols.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - Lygonos
There's a fair number of 'squeezy-bottle' de-icers around too ( tinyurl.com/25gsprk ) - They have much more alcohol than typical screenwash so freeze at lower temperatures.

I'd presume they have very little detergent action compared to screenwash also as they don't froth when you shake them, unlike most pre-mix screenwash.
I haven't used a de-icer for yonks. I use the heater and/or the electrically heated screen for the windscreen, the screen heater for the rear screen, plus a scraper for the side windows. A lot of people just don't seem to know how to set the heater for defrosting the windscreen ~ you need maximum temperature and maximum fan speed plus all the airflow directed to the screen.
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - henry k
>>I haven't used a de-icer for yonks.
>>
I always use a trigger bottle of de-icer for the side windows and often a squirt on the back window to speed things up.
>>
>>.....plus a scraper for the side windows.
I haven't user a scraper for yonks. I do not want to scratch windows with that crud that is often hiding under the frost. (Not all of us keep a super shiny vehicle )
Ford solved the front screen problem a decade ago.
( waits for incoming.....)
 Screen wash/antifreeze and de-icer - scousehonda
L'esc

I have to partially disagree with you. I'd agree about the airflow direction being set to 'screen', which is pretty basic of course. And to close off all other vents. But putting the fan on full power is not necessarily the best practice. That wellies all available warm air at the base of the screen and most of it then bounces off the screen back towards the driver. My routine is to start with full fan throttle and then gradually decrease it so that the air flow meets the glass higher up.

(There must be more interesting things for us to discuss!!).
Latest Forum Posts