Motoring Discussion > Banned Drink Driver Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Berisford Replies: 31

Banned Drink Driver - Berisford
DAK, is there any way to identify / find out as to whether or not someone has been convicted and serving a ban for drink driving?

I know at one time such persons were identified in the local papers and indeed high profile persons are reported in the nationals, but is it only reported/identified if there happens to be a reporter in the courtroom at the time?

Reason I ask is because a scum bag neighbour of mine seems to walking often and taking taxi's of late.
 Banned Drink Driver - FotheringtonTomas
You could try asking him.
 Banned Drink Driver - Clk Sec
>>taking taxi's of late.

Perhaps he has won the lottery.
 Banned Drink Driver - Alanovich
>> >>taking taxi's of late.
>>
>> Perhaps he has won the lottery.
>>

A scumbag's usual reaction to winning the lottery (or becoming a premier leaue footabller) isn't: "Oh good, I can afford taxis now", it's more likely to be "Oh good, I can afford a Cadillac Escalade and will drive it around whilst 6 times over the drink drive limit on champagne".
 Banned Drink Driver - Iffy
A conviction is a matter of public record, but these records are not made easily available to the public.

If you had a date of appearance and court centre, the court might tell you the result, but they might not.

A friendly local copper - unlikely but possible - may well know if the guy's banned and might be prepared to tell you.

If you have no more information than in the OP, there is no simple way of finding out.

Banned Drink Driver - R.P.
As iffy says - there is a rudimentary Crown Court listing service here:-

www.courtserve2.net/courtlists/current/crown/indexv2crowndailies.htm

Not the most user friendly.
 Banned Drink Driver - Bromptonaut
But not likely to help here as DD cases are Magistrates only; no option to elect for a jury.
 Banned Drink Driver - Perky Penguin
If you have a rough idea of the date your local newspaper archive, may be on line, might be helpful?
 Banned Drink Driver - NortonES2
If you know the name, try Google. Very helpful when I told the polis of a hit and run driver coming from a pub car park. Our parked car was the victim. Identified by witnesses who knew his bingeing well. A swift Google showed a press report. He'd already been nicked for DD after he wrecked his brothers car. Very impressed our PC was. He never knew. Not that they did much as a result. But scrote coughed when eventually found (sober due to lapse of time) and his dear old Mum had insured them both. I don't know how he got insured at all at the age of 19 after a DD offence but maybe he and Mum had amnesia.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 19:49
 Banned Drink Driver - Pat
I could understand you wanting to know if he seemed to still be driving, but walking often..?

Pat
 Banned Drink Driver - Zero

>> Reason I ask is because a scum bag neighbour of mine seems to walking often
>> and taking taxi's of late.

Whats it got to do with you? mind your own business.
 Banned Drink Driver - Old Sock

>> Whats it got to do with you? mind your own business.

+1
 Banned Drink Driver - CGNorwich
Must admit that thought passed my mind.
 Banned Drink Driver - Pat
Best go out today I think, I'm in speaking my mind mode and it usually gets me in trouble:)

Pat
... I'm in speaking my mind mode and it usually gets me in trouble:)...

So was rtj70 early this morning, and I suppose it did get him into trouble to a degree.

Back on topic, I don't regard the OP of this thread as a busybody.

I think we can infer the 'scumbag' has been the cause of some bother in the OP's locality, and keeping an eye on him is quite reasonable.
 Banned Drink Driver - Berisford
>> I think we can infer the 'scumbag' has been the cause of some bother in
>> the OP's locality, and keeping an eye on him is quite reasonable.
>>

You're on the money there lffy.

Sadly I see the pugnacious crowd that stalk these forums just can't help themselves again and just for their information, I did see the scumbag go out in his motor the other evening which coupled with the walking and taxi's made me suspicious and directly led to my original post / question.

...Sadly I see the pugnacious crowd that stalk these forums just can't help themselves again...

Sometimes people on here, even the perfect ones like me, don't stop to think before hitting the keyboard.

Happily, I've never had serious neighbourhood problems, but I've known people who have, and it's one of the most miserable things.

If I walk down the high street and get some aggro, or if I get some aggro at work, I can deal with it and walk away.

But there's just no escape when it's on your doorstep.

I think you are doing a sensible and neighbourly thing by keeping an eye on this person.

What, if anything, else you do is the harder question to answer.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 15:07
The pugnacious crowd have as much right to post as the "nosy and none of your business" crowd.

This is not posted in haste BTW.

I find it pretty intolerable that someone should be nosy enough to try and find someone's convictions so they can become the local vigilante.

That's a view Zero - I don't think that becoming a vigilante was on the OP's agenda from the way I read it ! He asked a genuine enough question.
Its borderline.
 Banned Drink Driver - Armel Coussine
>> intolerable that someone should be nosy enough to try and find someone's convictions so they can become the local vigilante.

Distasteful at least, and a tad sinister.

Mind you, I think most local cop shops keep informal lists of these faffing nutters. An experienced desk sergeant can probably make them with 90% accuracy the moment they sidle through the door of the nick with their clipboards and air of affronted importance.
...so they can become the local vigilante...

Aren't we running away with ourselves here?

There's nothing I can see in the OP to suggest anything of the sort.
From Spanish vigilante (“watchman", "guard”), from Latin vigilans

A person who considers it their own responsibility to uphold the law in their neighbourhood.
 Banned Drink Driver - SteelSpark
>> >> intolerable that someone should be nosy enough to try and find someone's convictions so
>> they can become the local vigilante.
>>
>> Distasteful at least, and a tad sinister.
>>
>> Mind you, I think most local cop shops keep informal lists of these faffing nutters.
>> An experienced desk sergeant can probably make them with 90% accuracy the moment they sidle
>> through the door of the nick with their clipboards and air of affronted importance.

Can't say I agree AC.

It seems to me that, some of the neighbourhoods with the worst crime rates and the most people scared to go out of their homes are they ones where there is some kind of code of honour to not grass to the people. The sort of place where some guy gets stabbed to death in broad daylight, in a busy precinct and there are no witnesses.

If you want to go around and break the law, it must be music to your ears to hear that those around you will not report you, either through fear, or some kind of misguided "us and them" feeling towards the police.

A more extreme situation that the OP's of course, but the same principle applies.
Completely different scenario.

If I were to witness a crime, I would stand up and be counted as a witness. Its not a matter of grassing someone up or code of honour,

But seeing someone is taking taxis and buses and then instantly assuming he is banned?

If he's driving with no tax, then fine shop him. Check the MID to see if he has insurance by all means. To actively search for someone's criminal record is nothing much short of voyeurism.
Its none of your business what criminal record anyone has.
 Banned Drink Driver - Armel Coussine
Zero has more or less said it for me. Of course I wasn't advocating honour among thieves, not being one myself. More like minding one's own business and not looking to make trouble for others, even when you don't like the cut of their jibs.

Banned Drink Driver - Fenlander
>>>Its none of your business what criminal record anyone has.

Not so sure. Most criminal records are gained as a result of an act against an innocent member of the public such as theft, assault or drink driving which has the possibility of killing someone.

If a person has crossed that line and folks get to know so be it. I would shop a banned (and therefore uninsured) driver using their car without the slightest regret.
...Its none of your business what criminal record anyone has...

It has long been accepted that the shame of publicity and the subsequent censure by the community is part of the punishment.

A more thoughtful answer might be that a spent criminal conviction is none of anyone else's business.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 16:03
SO would I, but would you actively go out and check if he was or not?
 Banned Drink Driver - Old Sock
Hmm, I'm sure that chap at No.19 is running a business from home and should be paying business rates.....

That woman at No.2 has been wearing a lot of makeup recently - she's having an affair, surely?

How come there are some dresses on No.25's washing line when the guy lives on his own - bet he's a transvestite...

How can I find out for sure?

Do yourself a favour and - like suggested above - ask the guy straight out.

Before describing someone as a 'scumbag', consider what names they might be calling you
And I'm having planned "down time" report me to the DWP !
 Banned Drink Driver - CGNorwich

I had neighbour problems for over 10 years. Everything from drunken parties at 3.am in the morning, vandalism to my house car and teenagers urinating in my garden. It only ended when they were finally evicted.

Several of my neighbours moved house because of these people, the elderly man next door taking a very low offer on his house because he just could not stand living there any more.

I do know what is like to live near some of the dregs of society. I also know it does not help to become obsessed with these people and let them become the focal point in your life.
Latest Forum Posts