Motoring Discussion > HGVs in the snow Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 10

HGVs in the snow - BobbyG
There have been so many issues these last few days here with lorries jackknifing and getting stuck in the snow.
I experienced this tonight when a roundabout I had passed through as had many other vehicles was blocked by a jack knifed artic on my way back.
Now I am not saying ban lorries or whatever, without them we would starve. But when a car goes off a road or gets stuck it generally doesn't block traffic the same as in many cases it can be pushed out the way.
As many of you will know I love driving in the snow and even playing in deserted cart parks but tonight I was bricking it. The roads are truly dreadful and that's in a car. I can't imagine what it must be like in am artic in this.
My question is how do we improve things so that these lorries don't get stuck and that supplies, whatever they may be, reach their customer.
Is there such a thing as winter tyres, chains or socks for lorries?
 HGVs in the snow - Boxsterboy
Put 'em in chains!

(er, the truck wheels, that is, not the drivers)

When we go to Switzerland the ski resort buses and trucks all fit chains when it snows heavily, so traction is no problem. Then they take them off as soon as the snow-ploughs have cleared the roads. The bus drivers have got the fitting of chains down to a fine art, and life carries on uninterupted.
 HGVs in the snow - bathtub tom
Everytime I've been blocked, It's been by a HGV.

Nothing personal Pat, but It's a fact!

Why on earth do they think they can can get past the stuck HGV beside them?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 00:34
 HGVs in the snow - Pat
Boxsterboy has the answer, and if we're going to keep having this amount of snow it's the only answer.
I understand that Germany now clamp down hard on lorries not fitted with winter tyres in some area too.

Both of these solutions would help the problem tremendously but as a downside look at the cost to the industry, for what may just be a couple of days per year of snow. I assume there would be a winter spec steer tyre but what traction would that give on wet roads when used with the other 16 normal tyres, and would they need to be changed back to normal tyres to perform adequately in dry weather?

Nothing personal Tubby Tommy but if a slim person stands in your way you can squeeze past them, but if it's fat person....:)
There are so many variable with lorries that to and onlooker are invisible.
One may be fully loaded and one may be empty.
One may have twin steer axles, the other may have double drive.
One may have n old hand at the wheel, the other may have a lad who passed his test last week.

All of these things, including where you've got the remaining weight in your trailer placed, will make a difference to how much traction you have so just to give up when the lorry in front gets stuck, is a bit like the bloke who looks out of the curtains in his house and rings up to say he can't get into work today!
 HGVs in the snow - Pat
I've just read Bellboys post on another thread about M&S tyres in Germany, and it seems the rumours were correct!

Unless there is some legislation to force haulage firms to fit these tyres in the UK, it still won't help.
The small struggling haulier or owner driver will always prefer to mnage on what he's got and he will be the one who is stuck at the front of the queue.

But as BB said, is it overkill for the small amount of snow we get here?

A thought to ponder too is that Europen countries have a far superior attitude to clearing snow off the roads to the UK and should we be looking to sort this problem out for all road users?

I think we should.

Pat
 HGVs in the snow - jc2
When I got held up by HGV's in the snow,it was not lack of traction but frozen brakes.
 HGVs in the snow - -
Many fleets find it difficult enough to buy screen wash anti freeze, what hope that anyone responsible would arrange suitable tyres, and as for chains not a hope in hell, some won't allow their drivers to fit a bulb let alone chains assuming quite incorrectly that all drivers are the same.

As with many things those in charge don't always have the experience and common sense to go with their qualifications.

Frozen brakes should be a thing of the past with air drying systems on modern vehicles, unfortunately these systems require maintenance and filters etc, guess what?
Aiding this is that many vehicles no longer have drain taps fitted to the air reservoirs, so those of the old school can't leave the tanks to drain overnight anymore, progress my back side.

HGVs in the snow - Collos
Why are there thousands of stuck trucks in Germany at the moment most autobahns closed.The police have not enforced the snow tyre law how do they it Germany is a transit country are you going to force a turkish truck to stop halfway across the continent to put on winter tyres I think not.Have you any idea how much a set of winter tyres costs for an HGV and trailor most carry chains but you only need freezing ice rain on top of snow then no tyres in the world on a HGV would be any good.

www.thelocal.de/national/20101209-31699.html
Last edited by: Collos on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 20:34
 HGVs in the snow - Pat
I think people in high places read this forum:)

tinyurl.com/29dyj3s

Pat
 HGVs in the snow - Manatee
Link problem - did you mean this Pat?

"review to exmaine lorry accidents"

goo.gl/ly4wp

HGVs in the snow - Pat
I don't know what went wrong there but thanks Manatee, that's the one.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts