Motoring Discussion > Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 34

Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - SteelSpark
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11954284

Well, effectively. If he isn't forced to sober himself up, and being locked in a cell seems to be the only way, I reckon he will be dead in a year.

As for the title, I ran out of letters and couldn't be bothered to rephrase.
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Collos
The world of football is littered with such people as long as he has a hole in his head he will keep drinking.
>> The world of football is littered with such people as long as he has a
>> hole in his head he will keep drinking.

The guy obviously has a serious problem, and is only heading one way.

Not that it is up to the state to intervene of course, he can drink himself to death if he wishes.

Although it is tragic, I feel that it is probably the sooner the better, if he is going to keep putting innocent members of the public at risk.
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - henry k
From the link
"....He ( District Judge Stephen Earl ) warned the former footballer that if he re-offended in the next 12 months, the jail term would be triggered."

With another court case still to heard it is not looking good for Gascoigne.
>> From the link
>> "....He ( District Judge Stephen Earl ) warned the former footballer that if he re-offended
>> in the next 12 months, the jail term would be triggered."
>>
>> With another court case still to heard it is not looking good for Gascoigne.

I don't think that you could take an already committed offence into account, especially one that had already been brought to the attention of the authorities.
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Old Navy
Whats all this re-offending cobblers, isn't he banned? Is this re-offending driving, drink driving, or driving without insurance, which he won't have if he is banned.?
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Iffy
...With another court case still to heard it is not looking good for Gascoigne...

No, although it would be unusual for a conviction in the next case to trigger the suspended sentence in this one.

Some might say it should, but that's just how sentencing tends to work.

Gascoigne would be well-advised to concentrate hard on his anti-drink treatment in the meantime.

That will go in his favour bigstyle in the event of a conviction in the next case.

Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - R.P.
I heard on the radio that he had to carry on going to the Alcoholics Anonymous meetings as a condition of his sentence - hardly anonymous is he !

He was probably pre-disposed to this sort of behaviour only it has been magnified by his fame etc...surely the management of "stars" like this should include help and guidance around likely problems that youngsters encounter when they suddenly become wealthy and famous - especially so when they fall from grace...
...surely the management of "stars" like this should include help and guidance...

I'm a Tottenham fan and the worst thing we ever did for Paul Gascoigne was sell him to Lazio.

We had Terry Venables as manager, and it seemed to us fans at the time Gazza would do anything his Uncle Tel told him, including behave himself.

Another father-type figure in Gazza's life was Sir Bobby Robson.

I agree Gazza must have a compulsive/addictive personality, which cannot be 'cured', only controlled.

In my (deliberate) ignorance of soccer I was wondering about "father-figures" like that and the beneficial effect on players - probably and old fashioned and politically incorrect these days...

I assume that the youngster Gareth Bale is still with the "Spurs" he was voted BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year the other week - he seems an intelligent, skilled and humble lad....Story goes than when told by his manager to go somewhere nice to relax after some three goal event that he went home to his parents in Cardiff....!
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 15:03
...I was wondering about "father-figures" like that and the beneficial effect on players - probably and old fashioned and politically incorrect these days...

Not sure that it is old-fashioned.

Problems were always a possibility for Gascoigne when he stopped playing and inevitably lost close contact both with fellow players and older people in the game.

I think he's said as much himself.

I moan about work sometimes, but it gives me a reason to get up in the morning, a structure to my modest existence, which I think most of us need.

As you say, the boy Bale appears to be a decent, steady lad which should hold him in good stead for the world he's just entered.

He's also fortunate in having Harry Redknapp as manager, who at least speaks the same language.

A foreign coach may bring success to the team, but he cannot offer much guidance to the younger players.
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Old Navy
>> I moan about work sometimes, but it gives me a reason to get up in
>> the morning, a structure to my modest existence, which I think most of us need.
>>

Rubbish, all it needs is some self discipline. I am thoroughly retired, always up, showered and breakfasted by 8am, OK occasionally 9am. Life is too short, so much to do, so little time. :-)
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Zero

>> Rubbish, all it needs is some self discipline. I am thoroughly retired, always up, showered
>> and breakfasted by 8am, OK occasionally 9am. Life is too short, so much to do,
>> so little time. :-)

Agree. Not worked for 11 months, never been in bed beyond 09:00. Shaved and showered and ready to go.
Same here - latest I've slept in is 8.50am !
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Zero
I think you have to realise the possible dangers of starting to laze around in bed, and be determined enough to avoid it,

I always think that its a shame to waste the daylight by being in bed.
 Banned Drink Driver - R.P.
You're right Zero - an easy trap to fall into - not done much today but "walkies" now beckon after brushing the drive (excess salt all saved into a bucket) and a trip to the shops - had a busy couple of days with my various work things and tomorrow is an all dayer !
 Banned Drink Driver - Pat
You only stayed in today because you thought we were going to kick off:)

Pat
It was planned down time today !
 Banned Drink Driver - Zero
Yeah yeah

I tell Nicole my days are "planned down time"

She doesn't swallow it, not does the dog.
Cue more Benny Hill type comments.
 Banned Drink Driver - Iffy
...Cue more Benny Hill type comments...

My immediate thought was that's one for BBD.

damn should have realised...
Too late now Zeddo !
if you were any kind of decent mod, you would mod it for me.

Banned Drink Driver - Runfer D'Hills
I used to be able to play a fair rendition of the Benny Hill theme tune on a comb and paper y'know. Been a long time since I've felt the urge to do it mind. Just thought...Oh never mind.

As you were...carry on.
...gets me up in the morning...

It was more a figure of speech, but has obviously struck a chord with the retired members on here.

Relax gents, you've nothing to prove. :)

Banned Drink Driver - Old Navy
>> Relax gents, you've nothing to prove. :)
>>
>>
We definitely don't need to prove anything to a bunch of young layabouts. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 16:09
...bunch of young layabouts. :-)...

'Young' is the nicest thing I've been called in ages, and 'layabout' is about the second nicest.

Banned Drink Driver - Ted

I extricate myself from bed by about 8.45 but I don't turn in 'til after midnight...depending on how many posts have been put on here. I never shave in the morning, preferring last thing at night.
Especially after a bath, when I'm all soft and pink and cuddly !

I'm entitled to a lie in after all those years of getting up in the night to get out on the road.

Ted
 Banned Drink Driver - mikeyb
The chap has serious mental health issues and needs more than a few AA meetings. I read his book (quite a good read) and it is clear that there are a lot of deep seated issue
 Banned Drink Driver - scousehonda
"Life is too short, so much to do, so little time."

So how come you spend so much time writing to an internet forum, surely one of the great time wasting exercises known to mankind.
 Banned Drink Driver - Old Navy
>> So how come you spend so much time writing to an internet forum, surely one
>> of the great time wasting exercises known to mankind.
>>

A few minutes, a few times a day, and only if I am at home, and usually while I am doing something else. Hardly a great commitment.
 Banned Drink Driver - L'escargot
>> So how come you spend so much time writing to an internet forum, surely one
>> of the great time wasting exercises known to mankind.

Click on Old Navy's name to find his daily average number of posts. Not mentioning any names, but it's only about a quarter of some members' average.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 07:26
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - Duncan
>> he was voted>> BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year the other week ->>

Do we have a BBC England Sports Personality of the Year? If not, why not?

I have a good mind not to pay my TV licence!
 Paul Gascoigne sentenced to death for drink drivin - AnotherJohnH
>> I moan about work sometimes, but it gives me a reason to get up in
>> the morning, a structure to my modest existence, which I think most of us need.
>>

For all the noise to the contrary above regarding this comment, there are a number of us who would agree with it (well, me at least).

We are not all the same.

And, getting back to the OP, we are not all trainee alcoholics.
Latest Forum Posts