Motoring Discussion > Car Hire Birmingham Car Deals
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 22

Car Hire Birmingham - Pat
Hi, I need some advice, please. We have some relations coming from Australia in about 10 days time, arriving at Birmingham airport, and they need to hire a car. So I've been looking at prices for them - 26 days with a Ford Focus or similar, all the big companies quote about £1300. It seems a lot of money to me.

Does anyone know of a local (B'Ham) or national company that might be a bit (lot?) cheaper?

Thanks
Pat
 Car Hire Birmingham - Zero
Its a peak period. A quick search on a comparison web site reveals little spare choice, or cheap deals.

Quick tip - dont hire for an airport location, go for a city location. Its cheaper.
 Car Hire Birmingham - Skoda
Sleazyjet discount with europcar knocks that Focus down by £300 it says (you dont need to travel with easyjet to qualify for this price).

www.easycar.com

Still a fair wedge though.
 Car Hire Birmingham - John H
I just tried holiday autos (part of lastminute.com) www.holidayautos.co.uk/
for 4 weeks (can be cheaper to hire in chunks of whole weeks or months) mid-Dec to mid-Jan
Birmingham Airport UK
Ford Focus(or similar)Compact 4dr £639.53
cancellation waiver protection (CWP) £26.71
total damage excess waiver (TDEW) £161.50 (trust me, you really do need this to avoid hassles later)

in other words, under £830.

total damage excess waiver:

Inclusions

* Collision Damage excess liability more info
* Theft Waiver excess liability more info
* Damage to:
o Wheels & Tyres
o Windows/Windscreen
o Interior
o Replacement Keys

Exclusions

* Where any rental vehicle has been driven off-road and or has been driven on un-tarmacked roads and or has been driven without due care and attention and or has been driven negligently
* Where the theft or damage is the result of your negligence
* Where the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs
* Where the driver(s) has not been named on the rental agreement
* When damage is caused by the rental vehicle being towed away by any unauthorised third party
* Not available on prestige car hire or van hire

In these circumstances, your liability to pay for the excess will not be waived and you may be liable for the full cost up to and exceeding the excess.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 18:19
Many thanks for the replies. Some useful advice.

John - that seems much better, and I know what you mean about the necessary extras, as I suspect anywhere cheap will look to gain extra income by charging for the smallest amount of 'damage'!
 Car Hire Birmingham - John H
>> extras, as I suspect anywhere cheap will look to gain extra income by charging for
>> the smallest amount of 'damage'!
>>

or will charge you the earth to remove the excess, that is if they allow you that option. Some companies have a compulsory excess which cannot be waived for love or money.

you may be able to find "long term" hire for a month/four-weeks from smaller firms.
The example below is not anywhere near you, and it may not apply to foreign drivers, but they do Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 5dr for 4 weeks and 3000 miles for £414 +vat.
You have to provide your own comprehensive insurance, though.
www.apexrental.co.uk/long_term_rental/cars/
Last edited by: John H on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 18:38
 Car Hire Birmingham - Zero
Wierd.

Thats strange - I tired holiday autos and it came back with few choices.

I tried it again, and it came back with loads.

Car Hire Birmingham - Biggles
Shame that they are not arriving via France - there is an excellent lease system there which takes advantage of the French tax laws for non-EU visitors. These people market it but there may be others.

www.ideamerge.com/index.html
Last edited by: Biggles on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 20:15
 Car Hire Birmingham - Iffy
How about buying a car to use for the duration?

Insurance could be a problem, so a good first step would be to contact a broker.

The car has to be bought and sold, which the OP would have to do.

Might be more trouble than he's prepared to go to.

You can make visitors feel too welcome.

Costs would not be certain, but could be very low if the car is bought and sold well.

Car Hire Birmingham - bathtub tom
>>How about buying a car to use for the duration?

Stu may be able to help. ;>)
 Car Hire Birmingham - Iffy
...Stu may be able to help. ;>)...

I was thinking the same, and Northants is not a million miles from Birmingham.

Insurance might be a bigger problem than buying the car.

Car Hire Birmingham - Runfer D'Hills
Something at the back of my mind stirred. Never tried these people but I'm sort of sure I've heard of them before.

Might be worth a look anyway. Like I say, wouldn't really know.

www.rentabanger.com/
 Car Hire Birmingham - henry k
An interesting fleet on offer

"Based in the Uxbridge, Middlesex & Slough, Berkshire Area we now deliver cars from our yard between the two in order to keep overheads and our costs low.
Service to Heathrow Airport available."
"Our Deal is simple:
"We offer reliable, fully serviced, licensed and MoT'd cars for hire. Break-down cover is provided. We only hire on a weekly basis. Payment is by credit card only. Clients can arrange their own insurance cover, this is something the majority of our customers already have and lowers the hire cost, proof of insurance will be required as part of contract.
That's it. It's that simple. "

A useful contact to file away. Thanks.
 Car Hire Birmingham - Perky Penguin
www.insurance4carhire.com/index.asp?langID=1&refID=1666&curID=1

£49 for a year's CDW insurance and can be bought by the day
Thanks everyone. I think we may go for a combination of lending them my wife's car and 2 weeks rental.

Car Hire Birmingham - nyx2k
when my relatives come from australia they normally borrow a family members car or buy a 300 pound banger and use that for a month or two.

borrowing or renting a newer car is the safest bet though.
They can borrow my wife's 10 year-old A4 which is still a nice car so they shouldn't be slummung it too much!
 CDW Excess - Meldrew
Just to quote prices of 7 days CDW XS cover in Austria. Insuring a 750 euro XS is £128 with my car rental company, payable on pick up. insurance4carhire is £35. I used them 10 years ago when they had just started in business - had to claim and they settled within a month.
 CDW Excess - rtj70
Meldrew, I am sure they will now jump into their time machine and use this company back in 2010 now you've posted this response. :-)
 CDW Excess - Meldrew
Well yes but I didn't think the info was worth a new stand-alone thread as most of us are aware of the services of insurance4car hire and I just wanted to emphasis the point.
 Car Hire Birmingham - IJWS14
try

www.goldscarandvanhire.co.uk/car-hire-birmingham-van-hire-birmingham-truck-hire-birmingham.aspx

Not used them but the vans seem to be new and clean whenever I see them.

Waymax are further out, vans are not as new or as clean but have used them for vans and service is good. (2 day charge for collection 5pm Fri and return 19:00 Sun when they are closed).

Car Hire Birmingham - rtj70
>> try...

For all we know they did try them back in late 2010 when they wanted a car. But hang on they updated the thread and said they were going to lend the relatives their Audi A4.

You do realise the original post dated December 2010 was some time ago?
 Car Hire Birmingham - Auristocrat
I used Golds last year - hired a Transit to move some furniture. 60-reg, low mileage. very clean. Competitive rates. Their Brownhills depot was a branch of Kennings Van Hire for years and latterly became part of Sixt. They use Ford and Skoda cars. Would use them again.
Latest Forum Posts