Motoring Discussion > Just ordered a new car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 50

Just ordered a new car - RattleandSmoke
After many wasted phone calls to unhepful dealers finally found one in Birmingham who will supply me a brand new Panda in metalic blue for £6800. They will then drive the car up to another dealer in the same chain in Manchester where I will collect the car.

The car is not made yet but they are hoping it will be delivered some time in May. Apparantly I got the last one on this consignment and it would be a few months after that. All the brookers I spoke to basicaly said there is a 14 week waiting list so it will be good if I can get it in 8 weeks.

Just got to wait on a decision on the finance now. It is a hell of a lot of money but I spent the same amount on my old ten year old Corsa and least this way I will have a brand new car with 0 former keepers.
 Just ordered a new car - Bellboy
if i read this right youve ordered the cart but havent got a horse?
 Just ordered a new car - Dog
There's nowt like a nice new motor Smoke&Rattle and that 8 weeks or so will fly past - Good Luck to ya!
Yeah just a bit worried about if the finance will go through. It seems mad having to get it from Birmingham though, none of the Manchester dealers would budge from £7600 (inc met paint) saying the retail price is £8100.

Alway in 8 weeks time my dad should be able to drive again so I can give the piece of rust with four wheels back to him.

I could have got a nearly new one for a few hundered quick cheaper with about 200 miles on the clock but I would loose out on 6 months warranty and it would have been on a 59 plate where this would be on a 10 plate. Its a shame it will have a brummy prefix and not a manc one though!

It is amazing this dealer can supply for £6800 and have to have two members of staff drive up to Manchester and back where as my local ones couldn't get any where near that figure.

PS I've always hated the idea of a brand new car because the amount you loose, but with used prices being high and my luck with cars I would rather pay £1k extra and get something brand new.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 17:54
 Just ordered a new car - Arctophile
Have you considered collecting the car from Birmingham yourself?

There's nothing like driving a new car with single digits on the clock.
I did consider it but I would be far too paranoid would just much rather do the first few miles on roads I know well :).

It should still have less than 100 miles on the clock so its still brand new :).

My biggest surprise was when they said they drive up to Manchester all the time as they sell a lot of cars here, just shows how rubbish the local FIAT dealers are. I think it often just depends how badly the staff want the sale too.

Just ordered a new car - midlifecrisis
All you need to do is get on the M6 and drive in a straight line!
 Just ordered a new car - -
Go on Rattie get yerself on the train...sorry railway train...down to Brum, enjoy the total pleasure of that first proud drive, get to Brum for 10am leave around 11 or midday and poodle back up home.
Let us know where the garage is and we'll plan you a nice easy route home..through Cannock, Stafford, Stoke and Newcastle, Crewe, Nantwich..tea with the D'abouts, Middlewich and Knutsford...MLC and his mates will keep a beady eye out for you.;)

I hope you get the car and collect it yourself.
 Just ordered a new car - midlifecrisis
I'm booking the day off!!! :)
 Just ordered a new car - rtj70
You sure they'll drive it? Although I think 100 miles means they might. My car came from Leicester and it was transported - maybe Leicester to Manchester was just far enough.
Yeah, tis a pity about the brummie reg - is there absolutely no way it could be registered Manchester then?
If you do decide to collect it yourself on the day, I'm sure Father Ted would go with.
You could always break the journey by visiting my brother in Biddulph, they moved up to Poynton in about 1960,
then on to the Shire of Stafford, so they're Northerners really :)
He said he will just drive it, he said its a very common request and goes up to Manchester for this reason a lot of times.

For the sake of an extra 80 or 100 miles on the clock I would rather just pick it up from Manchester. Its a brand new car I will be nervious enough without any added preasure.

He said as its the nearest FIAT dealer in the chain to Manchester it would have to be registered there but the paper work etc will change hands in Manchester it saves me having to go down there to sign the documents.

There is still a chance the finance may fall through though.

Poynton is not that far from me, only about 12-13 miles bit of a nasty journey down the A34 or A6 though. It is also one of the few parts of the so called Cheshire part of Manchester that is actually in Cheshire and not Greater Manchester.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 20:13
Poynton is in Cheshire. The local council is also Cheshire County Council. I know some changes were coming so may have split the old CCC into multiple councils by now. Poynton has nothing to do with Manchester.

It does come close to being close enough to have come under Stockport Metropolitan Council. But it doesn't.
I know it has nothing to with Manchester, BUT a lot of people who live there work and play in Manchester so in a sense it functions as a suburb of Manchester even more so than Wigan which is in Greater Manchester but has nothing do with the city.

This is a topic for another discussion and is one which has attracted 1000's of replies on another forum.
 Just ordered a new car - Runfer D'Hills
Hope you enjoy your new car Rattle. I'm sure those of us who visit Manchester on occasion will be on the look out for it. Blue 10 reg you say? Very good, noted.

On a straw poll of both my wives, they really liked their Mk1s. I imagine the Mk2 will be even more pleasing.
My mate seems very pleased with his, because they are so simple they are also very reliable and if the cambelt snaps you just put a new belt on drive away.

The only downside is it is a four year loan and I've had four cars in just over three years so it will feel strange.
Rattle, I couldn't comment on the maths etc but could this be cheaper to run as a company financed vehicle? And if not, do you claim back properly for all the business miles you do? Just a thought.

Someone will tell me you cannot do this as a sole trader or something. But you might not be.
I am not sure, but I will be claiming most of it back anyway as an expensive like I have done with my last cars. As I am not VAT registered I am not sure if it would many any difference as I cannot claim back VAT anyway.

Also as I am a sole trader the company does not exist as a seperate entity so it has to be my car anyway. No doubt it all this car hassle will give me a major head ache when I do my next set of accounts.
It would of course be possible to offset against the business but in doing so it would incur bik as a "company" car. Better to charge the business for the use of the private car which has no negative tax implications if you stick to the formula of 40p a mile for the first ten thousand business miles pa and 25p a mile thereafter in any tax year. If you are VAT registered Rattle you can also charge the VAT on proportionate maintenance costs to the business.

Edit the VAT bit, just saw your post above.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 21:46
 Just ordered a new car - L'escargot
>> Its a shame it will have a brummy prefix and not a manc
>> one though!

Why is it a shame? It will just start with a B instead of an M. What's so desirable about a Manchester prefix?
Its a manc thing :).

Just ordered a new car - Vicar of Bray
I'll send you a white rose sticker for the bumper ;-)
 Just ordered a new car - L'escargot
>> Its a manc thing :).

Sounds more like it's a manky thing.
;-)
 Just ordered a new car - Dave_
It might be possible to get the car registered in Manc Rattle, if you provide the supplying dealer with this address:

DVLA Local Office
Trafford House,
Chester Road,
Manchester,
M32 0SL

It should be a simple form-filling exercise for the dealer, and I wouldn't have thought it would matter to them which office they send it to?

- - - - -

It can be done, I was delivering a parcel to my local Ford dealers a few years ago on 31 August, and the showroom was packed wall-to-wall with cars bearing a "KU53" reg ready for collection the following day. One Focus, however, had a "CN53" reg. The guy signing for my parcel told me the odd Focus had been ordered over the 'net by someone from Cardiff who was coming up to collect it the following day. They'd registered it as local to him as a courtesy, even though the car had never yet been to Wales. :-)
Thanks I may ask about that :). I know it sounds stupid but the vast majority of cars here start with an M (because its used for both Manchester and Merseyside) so if my bander is different I may get some comments and I couldn't be bothered explaining I got it from the internet etc.

I'd never have imagined there'd be so much interest in where a car is registered, i never look at a plate unless there's something odd about it that catches the eye.
 Just ordered a new car - Mapmaker
>>It would of course be possible to offset against the business but in doing so it would incur
>>bik as a "company" car.

Not so. As there is no company...

Rattle is a sole trader. As such he has a choice:

1. 40p per mile for all business mileage (up to 10k; 25p thereafter); or

2. Actual cost. To calculate this, take the total annual miles, and the business annual miles. And the total cost, including capital allowances (20% per annum reducing balance basis), petrol, insurance, servicing etc. etc.

Multiply the total cost by business miles divided by total miles, that gives you your tax deduction.

Now, what if you were to buy a van (on which you can get 100% capital allowances (as AIAs) in the first year), or a very green car that gives 100% first year allowances? Well, if your private use in that first year were nil, then you would get full tax relief on the capital cost in the first year.
>>>Why is it a shame? It will just start with a B instead of an M. What's so desirable about a Manchester prefix? <<<

I'm not saying that a Mancunian or a Truronian prefix is more desirable than any other prefix but,
if I was buying a *new* car, I'd prefer a Truro reg. (where I live) or even a Cornish reg. than a brummie reg,
just my personal opinion :)
 Just ordered a new car - Boxsterboy
I would definitely hop on the train down to Brum and collect your car, if I were you Rattle. I mean, it's not as if the dealer will be driving your new pride and joy with much sympathy when he takes it up to Manchester, is it?
Got it, get yer old mucker Ted to go down and get it for you ex's paid, he'll enjoy an awayday on the train and you can do him some 'puter services or similar buck shee at some point.
That way you know a proper geezer's driven it for you.
I've got a bedder idea ... Teddy could drive em to brum in his Javelin or whatever,
it'll break down coming back and thereby save fuel via a low loader - simples!
 Just ordered a new car - Ted

My C3 had a Brummy number..........just had to go !
The Note had a sensible Manchester no. Much better, although it's on Pratt Plates now, but still Cheshire....just down the road

Ted
 Just ordered a new car - Ted

Break down ?????????.
Back in your kennel, Sir !

Ted
 Just ordered a new car - alfalfa
Good choice of car R&S. I am currently driving my daughter's 1.2 Eco while she is in NZ. Terrific around town, excellent torque and mileage on new car in urban use is a pleasing 40+mpg.

Hope you have many happy miles in it.

alfalfa
Just a little update, the finance has gone through so it looks like I will have a new car in May :).

I will probably sort out some GAP insurance but that can be worried about near the time.

My dads also driving a little bit now too so I am hoping to have a little break from drivign (I will still drive but not as much) until my new car arrives.

Update, since ordering the car the price has gone down by £400 :(

I to say I am a bit annoyed is putting it mildly :(
>>> Update, since ordering the car the price has gone down by £400 :( <<<

Look on the bright side comrade - if it had gorn up you would have had to cough up :)
Is it likely the dealer will be able to do anything to help? Since I haven't signed anything yet, all I have done is given a £100 deposit, but they have ordered that car off the boat.

I knew I should have waited but the advice given by those in the know is that cars are still going up so I didn't want to risk not being able to get it at £6400. I suspect as my car was the last in the batch that if I did get it for £400 less I would have had to wait a lot longer for it.
Of course it's a pity Rattle. Bad luck.

However, it is just that. For example, let's say last week you charged a customer a certain price for a particular repair to their computer. They agreed to that charge and you did the job. Everybody happy.

Next week you decide, for whatever reason, to charge a different customer a lower price to do the same job. Again it's agreed and everyone is happy.

Do you then go back to last week's customer and give them a part refund ?
No.

But I have been doing the sums, the first dealer I dealt with said they would only give me finance if I purchased GAP through them and for many reasons I felt like they were doing me a favour.

The finance package offered from this dealer works out a bit cheaper and I can purchase my own gap which should save me the £400 anyway.

In my head its £100 a year more, £2 a week. If I ordered a new batch panda now there is a 14 week plus waiting list, so providing I do get the car in May I will just look it that I have paid a premium to get my car sooner :).

You are of course right. I just seem to have nothing but bad luck with cars and timing though. I missed out on the scrappage scheme by weeks so the car is costing me £1200 more.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 18 Mar 10 at 21:53
>> You are of course right. I just seem to have nothing but bad luck with cars and timing though

And bikes :-(
The bike has been fine, just needs a little adjustment. Coped no problem with the rough terrain of the mersey valley.

I think it is just a lesson that prices are very volatile at the moment. I have been offered a good deal on finance so I could have easily got it £400 cheaper at another dealer but ended up paying more in finance.

When I see that four-five year old Fiestas are going for £4k I don't think I am getting a bad deal at all.

Gap insurance is just £82 where as the original dealer wanted me to sell me theirs as a condition of finance but they wanted £300 for it.

Its only money at the end of the day :) Mind you I think I have spent more in the past week than I have in my entire life!
 Just ordered a new car - Dieselboy
"Gap insurance is just £82 where as the original dealer wanted me to sell me theirs as a condition of finance but they wanted £300 for it."

Illegal to offer conditional finance in this way.
They didn't quite word it like that, but if I had known that at the time I would have swiftly declined.
>>> Its only money at the end of the day :) <<<

I lost £18,000 once on the international bond market.
I was more than pleased though - to get back most of my £80k original investment (unlike some!!)
The way I look at it is that it wasn't (literally) an arm and a leg.
We win some we loose some, I am expecting a new mobile phone worth £400 to arrive today as an insurance payout (they refused to repair my old one) so it could be a lot worse.

I will just try and enjoy the car new car rather than be too annoyed about the cost.
 Just ordered a new car - Lygonos
>> I knew I should have waited but the advice given by those in the know is that cars are still going up <<

Utter nonsense - the reason car manufacturers got away with 5-10% price hikes in the past 12mths was Scrappage - this is about to end so expect prices to soften as sales fall.

As regards getting the car driven up to Mac from Brum - let the dealer do it, as otherwise Rattle'd be trundling up the M6 at 40mph trying not to break it. A good burn at 75-85mph with plenty of slowing/accelerating will do the FIRE engine the world of good an ensure a lifelong low oil consumption ;-)
yes its always best as a delivery driver to deliver these cars and drive them as if you stole em
they might put it one one of our transporters, that'll lighten the clutch plate by a few mm.
backwards at warp drive speed
ooh look its hit the wheel stops
:-0
Nah, just drive over them, too much hassle to keep repositioning them.

anecdote, a certain small car related to this thread with the horriblous box couldn't make it upstairs, had to get run up to get it partly on then level the deck to move it proper like, carp.
Latest Forum Posts