Motoring Discussion > A long taxi ride Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 17

A long taxi ride - Iffy
Celtic footballer Anthony Stokes paid £600 for a taxi home to Scotland from London.

That's an awfully long way in the back of a black cab.

tinyurl.com/24gqnqq
 A long taxi ride - R.P.
Haven't they got hotels in that London place then - Hotel and fly home would have been my choice !
 A long taxi ride - Iffy
I was wondering what I might have done.

The impression is the journey began in the early hours.

He may have thought he could have a kip on the way and be home for a late breakfast.
 A long taxi ride - R.P.
I don't know how being fit affects yur ability t feel crap after a journey like that - I would.
 A long taxi ride - Dog
I wonder if the taxi driver gave im a tip?
 A long taxi ride - Iffy
...I wonder if the taxi driver gave im a tip?

I'd have been asking him to help out with the driving.
 A long taxi ride - Bill Payer
If it was really a black cab that would have been a noisy and uncomfortable journey.
 A long taxi ride - hobby
Thats what I was thinking... we occasionally have to use a taxi to get home when working a train to some far flung part of the country... I'd refuse a Black Cab for any journey over 50 miles (and that's pushing it!)... They are just not comfortable enough.
 A long taxi ride - Zero
TAXI?

When my old man was dead headed he was stuck there till the next train!
 A long taxi ride - hobby
Things have moved on, there are no overnight trains these days that we could use to get home like there would have been when he was working in the railways... So if you agree to do them a favour like working the last train then they agree to get you back... Its cheaper than the fine they'd pay for cancelling, not to mention the taxi fares for the passengers, who in BR days would be just left stranded 'til the next day (as I can confirm!!)...
 A long taxi ride - Zero
Even if there was no overnight train, staff would be left where they ended up!
 A long taxi ride - hobby
The trouble with doing that is that we wouldn't be available for our next shift, which would then mess everything up the next day... as I said things have changed greatly... We have far less staff than were around in the old days, so cover is harder to come by!
 A long taxi ride - Dave_
I have seen London plated black cabs wobbling up the motorways over 100 miles from home before, but he must have been crackers to get a black taxi all that way...

I've had a couple of £200+ jobs a few years ago, both of them straight off the phone. One from Bedford to Swansea just after Christmas for an old dear who'd had enough of her family; and the other to Alderley Edge for a chap whose helicopter had had a warning light illuminate on take-off and who couldn't get a mechanic until the morning.
 A long taxi ride - Fursty Ferret
Done Edinburgh to Gatwick on a couple of occasions when they needed me down there and connecting flights grounded. Hate to think how much it costs the company. Having said that it was in the back of an E-Class, so not exactly a traumatic experience.
 A long taxi ride - Boxsterboy
>> Done Edinburgh to Gatwick on a couple of occasions in the back of an E-Class, so not exactly a traumatic experience.
>>

Probably the best private hire vehicle to do such a journey in.
 A long taxi ride - hobby
BMW 5 series and latest Superbs are very good as well!
 A long taxi ride - wotspur
A friend of mine was telling me about an old friend of his whose family were filthy rich and he hadn't worked a day in his life. He used to spend the summer in Monte Carlo - and ring a cab from Weybridge in Surrey to collect him - hope he gave a big tip - unfortunatly he drunk himself to death before reaching 45
 A long taxi ride - Boxsterboy
Don't blame him. Imagine a journey that length with a French cabbie!
Latest Forum Posts