Motoring Discussion > Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 25

Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Fenlander
Anyone seen the new C4 in the flesh?

When I was in the dealers 2 days ago they had one in the showroom under a red fitted dustsheet. This is waiting the launch *party* will be early in the new year.

I was pleased to have a crafty look at another one hidden round the back.

A very nice chunky design fitting in well between the new C3 and C5 models... in fact very much like a scaled down C5... looking just a fraction larger than the old C4. The interior quality appears excellent with some interesting styling features.

Of course most medium hatches these days are well styled and competent so in truth the decision does come down largely to the buyers particular taste and the deal offered but knowing Citroen they'll be trying with offers.

Looking forward to a drive at the launch event.

www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars/#/new-cars/car-range/citroen-c4/
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - RattleandSmoke
It looks like a very nice car. Quirky but not too different it some how looks interesting but also a bit subtle.

Will make a very good car after Citroens usual discounts are applied.
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Iffy
There's some ropey copy on the website.

To give just two examples: A drawer keeps valuable away from 'preying' eyes, and the boot will hold five passengers and their luggage in comfort.

I spotted a couple more errors before I lost interest.

Pedantry?

Maybe, but surely a website to launch a new car should be spot on?

We're not talking about an ebay listing for a knackered 2CV here.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 15 Dec 10 at 13:25
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - R.P.
Shockingly similar to an X1 in its side view - Citroen have nicked BMW's Hofmeister kink as well !
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Dog
It's not a million miles from my 05 Almera or the excee'dingly good sub mariners car (design wise)

I'd have sleepless nights worrying about all those French electrickery devious devices though.
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 15 Dec 10 at 13:25
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - RattleandSmoke
That is the only thing that would put me off, but my mates 6 year old Clio with a lot of missed services is knocking onto 100,000 miles and it has taken a hell of a lot of abuse. It has been rolled oveer, dented, rare ended, front ended, side ended and has spent far more time in body shops than it has being serviced yet it still hasn't suffered from a single electrical fault - actually I tell a lie a front side light went as did a brake light.

That said the Clio III I passed my test it had a lot of faults with it and it only had 30k something on the clock.

I have a mate with a 206 GTI it has needed bushes etc and all the usual wear and tear stuff but the only electrical fault in its 104k was a bulb behind the climate control display - a £20 fix.
I had a 1.4 16v Clio about 6 years ago - nice car, but wifey was the main driver and a coil pack went TU.

It was at Xmas time and when I phoned the pain dealer, they said they couldn't look at it until after the holidays!!

I bought a brand new Citroen BX16 TRS auto in the 80's and the ZX 5 speed autobox lost all drive on a Sunny Sunday drive to Hastings.

I had a Pug 306 turbot diesel ... which had the dreaded head gasket trouble ... I'm a bit iffy about French cars.
>>>Shockingly similar to an X1 in its side view.

If it was slightly similar from the side PU why so shocking... as I alluded to in the first post most medium cars these days look OK (or sameish was the thing that was in my mind). However I don't see it as that similar.

The X1 has an upswept look with rather uncomforable wheelarch stying and an untidy rear door quaterlight.

The C4 has a rather more pleasing level/slighly bananna line from the side, the wheelarch fit to the wheels is superb and it manages to avoid having to make an odd bit of glass to finish off that back window. The C4 headlamps also flow round into the side view in a far more seamless way than the X1.

:-)
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Runfer D'Hills
There was a white X1 on a plinth at our local BMW dealer this morning as I slunk past to the Nissan garage. Looked quite nice I thought.
Ok ... so you hooked me PU :-)
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 15 Dec 10 at 14:15
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - PeteW
Looks like the old steering wheel that moved independently of the centre boss has gone to be replaced by a standard one - guess some experiments just don't catch on....

Still could be a sales success given citroens keen pricing.
>>>the old steering wheel that moved independently of the centre boss has gone to be replaced by a standard one - guess some experiments just don't catch on.

Well yes and no... they have dropped it for the new C4 but it is alive and well in my new shape C5. There are so many buttons on it you need it static to work out what to push!

Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Old Sock
Okay, but comments along the lines of "it looks a bit like..." implies a lack of any real identity.

I'm still toying with the idea of seeing what trade-in I could get for my CX against a C6 :-)
When you reel off a list of previous Citroen ownership in a modern Citroen showroom they are glazed over as you say DS, CX, GS, GSA, BX.. the flicker of recognition only starts with the mention of Xsara at the earliest.

The Citroen dealers didn't even want to know about working on my CX when it was current!
Watched "Children of Men" the other night - the CX Safari was a "star" in it. Still looks good if a little narrow. Very nice looking motors them in their time.
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Runfer D'Hills
Somewhere in my mother's attic there's a Dinky or Corgi one of those in white. Along with a Man from Uncle Oldsmobile and a 007 Aston Martin and many others.
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Boxsterboy
Haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but in photos the new C4 looks a bit bland. I liked the old C4 (indeed I had a Coupe) but I can't see myself buying one of these.

I just wish they would bring out a replacement for the C8 - SWMBO keeps making noises about updating our 8 year old one, and for various reasons (mostly a lack of spare wheels) nothing else on the market really fits the bill.
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - tyro
Haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but in photos the new C4 looks a bit bland. I liked the old C4 . . . .

My thoughts as well. I really liked the outgoing C4 - it looked "very Citroen", and quite different to its competitors. The new one looks rather like everything else on the market at the moment.
That's it comrade, you've it the nail on the ed - A Citroen should be idiosyncratic!
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Old Sock

>> My thoughts as well. I really liked the outgoing C4 - it looked "very Citroen",
>> and quite different to its competitors. The new one looks rather like everything else on
>> the market at the moment.

To some extent, Ford did that with the Focus. Perhaps the Mk1 version looked a bit too 'Citroën-esque' for its target market!
>>>A Citroen should be idiosyncratic!

Only in the detail I guess... if they want to sell any cars!
>>Only in the detail I guess... if they want to sell any cars!<<

Aye! + idiosyncrasy is fine, until one has to do any work on the critters :)
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - MPZ
I like the looks of most current Citroens but I'm not convinced about build quality - the nearest I've ever got to buying one was a ZX that the wife took a liking to. The dealer took us out in a demo and the clutch went. After the walk back to the showroom Citroens were not mentioned again.

MPZ
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Boxsterboy
>> I really liked the outgoing C4 - it looked "very Citroen",
>>

I think the 'slab-sides' (for want of a better phrase) and outline of the old C4 was very reminiscent of the GS - and what great Citroens they were!
 Citroen - New Citroen C4 - First look - Avant
My impression is that Citroen's game-plan is to have a DS series of cars (starting with the DS3) which look quirky, and the C series which look more normal. I can't quite see the point given that Peugeot - in the same group - supply the comparatively normal-looking cars (although to my eyes, in the case of the 308 normal = ugly).
Latest Forum Posts