Motoring Discussion > new pedestrian lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 13

new pedestrian lights - wotspur
I came over Tower Bridge yesterday, away from the City, and was in awe of the new traffic lights, - there is actually a count down for pedestrians so they know how many seconds they have left to try and cross over prior to the traffic starts again - what a fantastic idea
If only it could also tell them to look the correct way as well - and not try and make it across after it reaches 0 -
sorry if this has been mentioned before
 new pedestrian lights - bathtub tom
When I'm a pedestrian, I thought Green means Go and Red means Run. ;>)
 new pedestrian lights - R.P.
I've seen these in some foreign parts, Boston maybe ??
 new pedestrian lights - PR
Bangkok has timings for the road users. Big red letters count down on stop and big green ones for go. Seemed to work very well.
 new pedestrian lights - Alanovich
They have them in Belgrade, and they also have countdowns for cars at traffic lights too. I love those.
 new pedestrian lights - Old Navy
>> They have them in Belgrade, and they also have countdowns for cars at traffic lights
>> too. I love those.
>>

The same in parts of Egypt.
 new pedestrian lights - IJWS14
Was in Amsterdam at the weekend.

They give a visible countdown to the green man and there is a loud ticking whike the green man is on.

Very good system
Some of our crossings have the "click" sound, and a few announce "Traffic travelling in the direction of xxxxxx has been signalled to stop". Or appropriate wording. As well as being a driver I am also a pedestrian. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 12:47
In a Scots accent ON ?
I had not thought of that, as I have an english accent. The equipment must be sourced from the South, it speaks English. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 12:59
:-0 !
 new pedestrian lights - L'escargot
>> I've seen these in some foreign parts, Boston maybe ??
>>

Lincolnshire or Massachusetts?
 new pedestrian lights - Mike Hannon
Had them in some parts of Spain for years.
 new pedestrian lights - Bromptonaut
IIRC they're one of BoJo's initiatives. Added to the Kingsway/High Holborn junction during the late summer they're ceertainly a usefull addition.
Latest Forum Posts