Motoring Discussion > Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 36

Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - ToMoCo
Driving behind one lats night, I didn't even know they existed.

Quite a nice looking little car, Is it based on the polo then?
£13.5k - £18.5k :-/ Pricey, but no doubt will sell.

www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a1/a1.html
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Tooslow
Looked at them on line before they were on sale as SWMBO was "in the market". It was an unlikely prospect but it costs nothing to look. The interior seemed grossly overstyled. Not seen one on the road yet.
John
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Zero
>> Driving behind one lats night, I didn't even know they existed.
>>
>> Quite a nice looking little car, Is it based on the polo then?
>> £13.5k - £18.5k :-/ Pricey, but no doubt will sell.
>

It is indeed a PP

A posh Polo.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Alanovich
>> A posh Polo.
>>

Yes. I utterly fail to see the point of Audis. Gizza Skoda, SEAT or VW any day.

I suppose I just don't do "bling". Better things to spend my hard earned on than impressing the easily impressed.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Old Navy
>> I suppose I just don't do "bling". Better things to spend my hard earned on
>> than impressing the easily impressed.
>>

Me too, my Cee'd estate costs less, is better equipped, and is far more versatile.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 10:11
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Fenlander
By chance the first A1 I'd seen on the road was this week. It did cause me to swivel round to keep it in sight for a while longer... thought it looked very smart.

Bit like a small version of the new Citroen C4... not much like a small X1 though.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Oldgit
I might be sometwhat interested if they produce a proper car with four passenger doors and I was under the impression that such a model was being produced next year and they would also have to sort out the comments about the hardness/firmness of the suspension.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Londoner
>> Yes. I utterly fail to see the point of Audis. Gizza Skoda, SEAT or VW
>> any day.
>>
They are all good makes, which not surprising since they are all part of the VW family.

If an Audi were just a posh version of a VW, then I would agree with you. However it isn't that simple. You pay a premium for Audis because you get options and kit that you don't get in a VW or SEAT.

For example, with an Audi you can specify a light coloured interior (Which is something that is very important to me personally). With the other "family" brands, you get any colour that you like - so long as it is black.

For another example, look at the rest of the interiors. The materials are nicer to the touch and more nicely styled in an Audi than in other VW group cars, IMHO, and the styling is more fresh and modern too. (Take the Golf, for instance. Great car on paper, great to drive, but terminally bland both inside and out. Compare that to the interior of the A3 - it's chalk-and-cheese.)

You can also get kit in an Audi that are not available to the rest of the VW group, such as certain engines, and upgraded SatNav.

Lastly, and most importantly, with Audi you can get models that are unique in the VW group If I had the money, I would want to own a 3 litre diesel A5 quattro with DSG. There just isn't an equivalent SEAT, VW or Skoda. (Nor from anybody else, come to that!)
Fairy Nuff, Londoner, but all that says to me is that there is an opportunity for the manufacturer to extract more pounds sterling from me. None of the things you list appeal to me, so I suppose the marque is not for me. I am hugely unfussed about what colour my seats are, and also satnav.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - R.P.
It's pitched as a direct competitor for the money making brand that is the MINI - Germans aren't dumb which is why they have a car industry and we haven't !
The Mini is a brand, its a unique brand because its a small(er) BMW.

Everyone who buys this knows that everyone else knows its a Polo, and they get laughed at.

Audi have a very poor record at small cars, and their target market is not in the small car sector.
Funnily enough the car was a topic of conversation in at home the other day - I really liked the A2 and seen quite a number of them around and about in recent days - my experiences were limited to a lift home in one once though !
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Boxsterboy
>> Everyone who buys this knows that everyone else knows its a Polo, and they get
>> laughed at.
>>
>> Audi have a very poor record at small cars, and their target market is not
>> in the small car sector.
>>

But the A3 has sold very well, and that's only a Glitzed-up Golf
Ah but the golf is seen as aspirational, so that's ok.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - IJWS14

>> If an Audi were just a posh version of a VW, then I would agree
>> with you. However it isn't that simple. You pay a premium for Audis because you
>> get options and kit that you don't get in a VW or SEAT.

Yes but only an Audi driver would pay for them

>> For example, with an Audi you c............... With the other "family" brands, you get any
>> colour that you like - so long as it is black.
You can get light interiors in other VAG cars.
>>
>> For another example, look at the rest of the interiors. The materials are nicer to
>> the touch and more nicely sty...........................land both inside and out.

They are the same, and identical systems (Skoday dual zone aircon is identical to Audi dual zone air con.

>> You can also get kit in an Audi that are not available to the rest
>> of the VW group, such as certain engines, and upgraded SatNav.

Engines agreed - the rest you can get.

>> Lastly, and most importantly, with Audi you can get models that are unique in the
>> VW group If I had the money, I would want to own a 3 litre
>> diesel A5 quattro with DSG. There just isn't an equivalent SEAT, VW or Skoda. (Nor
>> from anybody else, come to that!)

Not if I was paying to run it I wouldn't.

When were you last in a Skoda showroom - don't tell me...... you never have.

Audi as a brand exists for VAG take huge amounts of money off the fools who won't look at a similar car with a different badge.
Pay more - or we'll make it UGLY!
John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 12:40
I've seen 2 A1s - they put me in mind of the 1970s AMC Pacer.
Oh good grief, thanks for the warning. I'll pack the sick pills ready for when I see one.
John
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Fenlander
What a weird attitude from the negative posters above.... on a car forum of all places grumbling about choice being offered.

If you consider a 1.6HDi model I see the A1 is about the same price as a Polo, only £600 more than a Citroen DS3 or £500 more than a Fiesta.... hardly a big deal if you fancy the A1?

And I'm sorry the public at large do not laugh at those who would buy an A1... most right minded folks would think it was a nice car.

If they cost £10k more than the competition OK it might be an issue but what's £1k here or there?
>> Audi as a brand exists for VAG take huge amounts of money off the fools
>> who won't look at a similar car with a different badge.

A bit harsh, no? You pays your money...

I do like the current Audi range (Other than the A3 looking bland), but do agree with the sentiment that I would not pay the extra over a skoda for them. Had a go of my aunts A4 and was very underwhelmed with the interior.

RE Resemblance to a Pacer - It's a 3 door hatch but that's as far as it goes. Anyway, wouldn't mind a pacer on the drive :-D
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Redviper
Really like the look of that, I think it will sell very well.
I’ve always liked Audi’s and call me boring, but I don’t find them “bland” I prefer that too being to Brash.
Then Again I like executive “euro boxes” much more preferable than the hideous tat that infests us from the States
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 13:46
>> RE Resemblance to a Pacer - It's a 3 door hatch but that's as far
>> as it goes. Anyway, wouldn't mind a pacer on the drive :-D

Take a look side-on. That's where I see the resemblance.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Boxsterboy
>> Anyway, wouldn't mind a pacer on the drive :-D
>>

And that's where it would most likely stay. They were not very reliable goldfish bowls.
With different sized front doors - some of the sad trivia one gathered as a kid !
>> With different sized front doors - some of the sad trivia one gathered as a
>> kid !
>>

I drove one in the USA in the '70s (I think) peculiar machine with a straight 6 engine and appaling build quality. The fuel consumption would be a problem in the UK, economy was not a consideration in the USA then.
The concept was almost good....heap of pooh though according to the tests..
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - corax
>> The concept was almost good....heap of pooh though according to the tests..

I think the AMC Pacer was the one where, if you were rear ended, it would simultaneously jam the doors shut and set the fuel tank on fire. It would be comical if it wasn't so terrifying.
I thought that was the Ford Pinto...
The fuel consumption would be a problem in
>> the UK, economy was not a consideration in the USA then.

Ha. Thought it was designed to give small economical cars to the US.
>> Ha. Thought it was designed to give small economical cars to the US.
>>

If I remember correctly it was almost as wide as it was long.

EDIT:- Just checked the images, I was an AMC Gremlin that I drove, similar thing though.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 16:35
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Londoner
IJWS14

>> They are the same, and identical systems (Skoday dual zone aircon is identical to Audi dual zone air con.
Sometimes on this forum, people do like making up straw men.
I NEVER SAID that some kit wasn't identical. Just that there was stuff on Audis that you don't get on other VW brands. Take SatNav, for example. On the latest Audi A6 and A7 they are using Google Maps and the screens are bigger and easier to read.

>> When were you last in a Skoda showroom - don't tell me...... you never have.
>>
True. I have never been in a Skoda showroom...but I have not been in many brands' showrooms either. I have only bought one car in the last 13 years!

I don't know if you intended to, but you seem to be insinuating that I am a snob. Well. I am not, except maybe for a little bit of the inverted kind due to me being working-class.

I challenge you to find any derogatory remark that I have ever made on this forum about Skodas. Quite the opposite in fact. I've been full of praise for them.

If there is an Audi model and a (near-) identical VW/SEAT/Skoda model then there is no way that I will go for the Audi. OTOH, if Audi are the only brand that will give me the car what I want, then I'll happily buy from them.

PS. I do not own, and have never owned, an Audi, so i am not speaking out of bias here.

Last edited by: Londoner on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 16:03
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - corax
If I had the money I'd like an A4 2.0T Quattro estate. Skoda do not offer a four wheel drive version of the VRS (which has the same engine), Seat and VW don't have four wheel drive with this engine either. The quattro is useful with the amount of power the TFSI engine has, around 200bhp.
Last edited by: corax on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 16:16
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - tyro
It would be very interesting to see a detailed road test comparing the A1, the Polo, the Ibiza, and the Fabia. It might be quite revealing. I take it that there is at least one engine that is available in all four?

Alas, I can't see any magazine doing it - even though there have been (and will be) tests comparing two or even three of the above.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - PhilW
I picked up a brand new one today to take to a dealer. Only drove it onto transporter and off again but must admit I thought it was more Golf size than Polo size. Bit anonymous perhaps?? - was difficult to pick out from the several hundred other Audis ( esp A3s) at collection point. But then I didn't spend much time looking at it - it was pouring down on collection and delivery. Interior clearly Audi - felt good quality without being very inspiring. (IMHO)
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Typ 8L
>> It would be very interesting to see a detailed road test comparing the A1, the
>> Polo, the Ibiza, and the Fabia. It might be quite revealing. I take it that
>> there is at least one engine that is available in all four?

Actually, I don't think the current A1 and Polo range actually have any engines in common (probably deliberately). On the other hand, the A1, Ibiza and Fabia all have the 1.6TDI 105PS diesel as an option, and the A1 and Fabia both have a 1.2 T(F)SI option in a similar state of tune.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Typ 8L
>> I might be sometwhat interested if they produce a proper car with four passenger doors
>> and I was under the impression that such a model was being produced next year
>> and they would also have to sort out the comments about the hardness/firmness of the
>> suspension.

Yes, word is that a 5-door A1 Sportback is due some time next year.
 Audi A1 - Saw one of these last night - Skoda
Haha i like the screen name Typ 8L
Latest Forum Posts