Motoring Discussion > High kerb crash protection Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 5

High kerb crash protection - BobbyG
Saw an outdated program the other day, one of these Police Camera things about forms of crash barriers and their testings.

One form they didn't cover is these high kerbs which seem to be becoming more and more popular, especially around roundabouts. You know the sort of thing, they are about a foot or so high and curve out the way and are absolutely solid.

I was up in East Kilbride earlier, a "new town" famed for its large number of roundabouts and at a couple of them there was signs of damage to these kerb structures.

Now cars have all sorts of crash protection built into their bodywork but how does it react to the wheels hitting one of these kerb things? I don't think the car would go up the kerb, the axle would just be ripped off!

Are they just put up to save councils repairs and maintenance over conventional height kerbs and islands or is there an alternative reason?

Anyone ever hit one?

High kerb crash protection - RattleandSmoke
I drove right over on in a car park once, lesson learnt don't try and find friends car, look where you're going! Only damage caused was wrecking the tracking.
 High kerb crash protection - Dave_
>> Are they just put up to save councils repairs and maintenance over conventional height kerbs and islands or is there an alternative reason?

They're installed where there's a high likelihood of regular HGV traffic mangling the pavement and regular kerbstones.

ISTR there used to be really, really big kerbs (breezeblock size) lining miles of A-roads in areas where the MOD drove tanks on the roads some years back, do they still exist? I've had a quick look on Street View in Wiltshire and Norfolk but can't find any.
 High kerb crash protection - Arctophile
They are also designed to turn vehicles back onto the carriageway.

Google "Trief kerb"
 High kerb crash protection - Bromptonaut
>> They are also designed to turn vehicles back onto the carriageway.
>>
>> Google "Trief kerb"

Widely installed on numerous road over rail bridges in attempts to prevent 'another Selby'.
 High kerb crash protection - Cliff Pope
If you look at the old-fashioned spelling of kerb, "curb", you observe that its function is to stop vehicles pinching corners too tightly and so risking damaging buildings or pedestrians.
Latest Forum Posts