Motoring Discussion > Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 7

Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Netsur
Any particular reason not to use it (in small doses)?

It contains: - dodecylbenzene sulphonic acid sodium salt, trisodium nitrilotriacetate, sodium hydroxide and tetrapotassium pyrophosphate!
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Bromptonaut
It's labelled as corrosive so I'd be very careful!!
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Old Navy
Not tried it in the bottle, and would be wary of the long term effects on the pump and seals also it does not have antifreeze properties.

I use it to clean my windscreen if it gets greasy.

I buy 5 litre bottles of concentrate screenwash which I find works well enough at a 20% dilution during summer, and 50% during winter, boosted by neat concentrate in seriously cold conditions (below -10).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 14:09
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Cliff Pope
It's good for etching paintwork prior to repainting.
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Netsur
Ah! I take it that's a hint???
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Mapmaker
Any reason TO use it? Why not use screenwash?
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Oldgit
As a chemis,t in a former life, anyone would have to be off their trolley to put Sugar Soap in their windscreen reservoir.
Do it/ by all means, if you want to respray your car and while you're at it put some Polyclens in as well as you may get a super grease-free screen but heaven help your bodywork.
Always buy proprietary car products and stop inventing your own nonsensical forumulations!!

I've no more to say on this matter.
 Using sugar soap solution in the washer bottle? - Chris S
I put a blob of Domestos in mine. It stops algae growing and gets the windscreen nice and clean.
Latest Forum Posts