Motoring Discussion > Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 86

Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - R.P.
Been looking at one this afternoon for a friend who has written off his 04 Polo - this one is at a Skoda dealer of high repute has 27k one local owner. He sees cars as a means to get from A to B and not worried about image - diesel is irrelevant as he only has a few miles to travel to and from work.

Any views on them - I think this is the same engine that was shared with the Polo. I think we can haggle on the sticker price.

BTW shocked at the price of cars in this bracket.....hence opting for a slightly off-beam make and a petrol engine.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - RattleandSmoke
A beige Skoda is fine alongs as he plans to keep it for a long time :). If he hopes to sell it in a year or so then spending more money on a colour which sells will make more sense.

Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Tooslow
"for a friend". Oh yes, wink! That beige will go nicely with the flares.
John
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Runfer D'Hills
A beige Skoda Fabia estate.....OK, do you really hate this guy or what? Or is it that you feel it would be better if he didn't produce any progeny? Or is it that he lives in Wales so it doesn't really matter?
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Skoda
Oi Fix It Again Tony ;-) Shhh! :-P

I know nothing about the wee fabias but they're highly regarded on Briskoda, a really loyal following even bigger than the Octavia massiff. Innit, west side.

I've had 2 pop over for Vagcom / VCDS stuff and they seem every bit as good as our old mk4 Golf. There's no difference in quality or feel. The dashboard's better designed than the Golf, i prefer the layout on the Skoda. Access is v easy for a job that needs the whole dash out on the golf.

Have to agree with Rattle though, that colour needs a big discount :-)
Thanks Skoda - he is a very minimalist bloke - a car is just a car for him, since I've known him he's driven VAG.....The news has been broken viz the colour and he's not bothered...
www.slaters.com/skoda/used-cars/view/453784/Skoda-FABIA-14-16V-Ambiente-5dr

This is the - he won't be paying that price though !
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Manatee
I might be colour blind but I quite like that. It's more "off silver" to look at - in fact Mrs Dugong insisted it was silver when I pointed it out.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Manatee
I don't know why they call it beige though - can't be a selling point?

You can't win though. I had a gold coloured Honda in a colour they called Mojave Mist IIRC. The V5 said it was "BEIGE".
- 'ere Bronwyn, what's occurin' ? I've got myself a new car see ?

- There's lovely Dai, you'll be takin' me for an outin' then ? What is it ?

- Well Bron', you'll never believe it, it was ever so hard to find but that English bloke helped me. I've got myself a beige Skoda Fabia estate now see? He reckons they're all the rage in the big city. I can't wait to see their faces. Green they'll be Bron' Mark my words....
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - rtj70
That's faded gold isn't it - it's not beige ;-)
He's English. Even Skoda admit it's Beige...
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 19:19
Cappuccino Beige mind. Not any old beige.
Nissan call that colour "Cafe Latte". Sounds quite sophisticated when you put it like that. Still beige mind.

Don't do it to him PU. If he does it himself that's one thing but...

:-)
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - bathtub tom
>>Any views on them

Let's pretend you needed to borrow a car for a period of time. How long would you be happy to borrow this one?
I'd be quite happy, I have actually driven one a few years ago - not unlike the Roomie...but prettier
Prettier? - Choke...

Oh I give up - Thanks Skoda.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - PeterS
I have to say that the 'Have you considered' ad that I see below that one, which is for a metallic pale blue Roomster for £1k more (and 2 years newer) looks a lot nicer, but £1k is £1k :-)

Peter
3 Cylinder engine though ...
Fair enough...don't know much about it, but I imagine it'd struggle with a full load?

Peter
Agreed Peter. The Roomster looks a good car. That Fabia might be too but it's a complete moose.
As a newbie I felt the need to be slightly more polite than that ;-) But, since you've said it....

Don't hold back Peter ! :-)
Oh, OK then. A quick google shows that the 1.2 (non TSI) engine has 70bhp, gets to 60 in 15.9 seconds and has a top speed of 99mph. I'd still rather have the Roomster... :-)
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - hobby
The 1.4 16v is fine in that car... I've driven the 1.2 HTP and even that can lug the thing around though its a gutless engine compared with the 1.4... He's not going to be racing it and it'll keep up with any other ordinary small or medium car on the roads, and has the added benefit that its got more usable internal space than the equivalent Focus estate and all the other pseudo supermini estates such as the Note, etc... The colour doesn't look too bad in the flesh either, its nothing like the old BMC/BL beige of yesteryear...

As said earlier those Mk1 fabias are very good, I've had two without any issues and the estate is the best of the lot... in fact its the best looking of them... in a sort of "dumpy" way!
So's Dawn French but you wouldn't, would you?

Not now... but a few years ago... perhaps!

Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - swiss tony
Built for comfort, not for speed.....

..... the Fabia I mean.
He won't be bothered about lugging loads..
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Old Navy
A Roomster looks like a cut 'n shut. :-)
Couldn't care how it looks, its good to drive, has loads of space and is the most practical small car there is... The looks do eventually grow on you... having said that I feel that many of the Supercars like the Veyron are even more ugly than even the Roomie!

Everyone has different requirements and tastes...
Last edited by: hobby on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 20:08
PU, with regard to loads... the way I look at it if he can get the estate for the same-ish price as the hatch then its worth getting the estate as preference... Its a little longer but width, etc, is the same... In fact I'd always suggest getting the estate version of a supermini compared with the normal hatch back one, that extra space makes the car nicer inside as well as useful from time to time, yet there is no real downside as they are very little bigger than the hatch they are based on...

Just avoid the saloon version of the mk1 Fabia... The modern day Belmont....
>> PU, with regard to loads... the way I look at it if he can get
>> the estate for the same-ish price as the hatch then its worth getting the estate
>> as preference...

I would second that, we always had an estate car in the family "fleet" untill we retired and bought the Focus, bad move, we are back on estates again.
You've just reminded me that I have actually had a car that colour. Well, a very similar colour...

It was an MB E class estate; I had a choice of three (company car); black, blue or cubanite silver. Silver sounds OK I thought...

However, cubanite silver is metalic beige. Not gold, MB do a gold as well. But, you know what, the colour grew on me...I'd have another one, and I'm not even retired... ;-)

Peter
Last edited by: PeterS on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 20:37
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - -
Ignore the mockery from the baying green eyed crew PU, and get yourself round to specsavers later in the week, it's not beige it's a champagne silver and very pretty colour it is too, a colour for those not afraid to be individuals.

It actually makes that Fabia look fairly reasonable, that's no mean feat.

PeterS (hello PS) is right, MB offered a very similar colour, look up a W215 CL500 Coupe in Cubanite silver, looks the dogs bits.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 22:01
The Mondeo estate I had before dear old departed Betsy was Ford's "Platinum Silver". Bought it sight unseen from Ford Direct ex Hertz job. Cheap as chips 2.0 tdci 130 LX ( six months old with 6k miles at a fiver short of £10k ) and proved a very good car in fact. Like PeterS I saw the description as "silver". It was actually beige metallic.

Never did get on with the colour although some people were kind enough to say they liked it. Mainly cardigan and cheap fleece wearers to be fair.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Baz
PU
Main problem with the Mk 1 is leaking door seals giving wet carpets and electrical gremlins. Easy enough fix but a bit of a PITA.
Briskoda Fabia forum is excellent source of info.
Thanks both - I really don't think the colour will be an issue for this chap - he doesn't care what people think. He wants a reliable car that's all. Why pay a grand more for the same with a Polo body on it.
>> - he doesn't care what people think.

That's a blessing then.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Kevin
>I really don't think the colour will be an issue for this chap - he doesn't care what people think.

Mrs. K is watching a program on TV about forensics at the moment.

Did you know that a common characteristic of serial killers in the US is a lack of empathy for others and they have driven beige cars?

Any cats gone missing in your neighbourhood PU?

Kevin...
And anyone requested books from the local library that had anything to do with dismembering? That 'cross bow killer' in Bradford requested books like this from his library. The police were alerted and could do nothing.

Whereas our local Tesco mega store spotted and caught a woman stealing makeup today (or something small). They must have seen her on CCTV and followed her and pounced when she left the store. They led her out back.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Kevin
>They led her out back.

To be dismembered???
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Zero
To collect her club card points.
>> To collect her club card points.
>>

I have visited these supermarket camera control rooms (for work purposes) and they can follow someone from the door, anywhere around the store and back to the door. The cameras are good enough to zoom in to read the small print on the merchandise. The operators know their regular problem "customers" and have mug shot reference books. I know of one instance of a trolley full of booze being bought with a rubber cheque, and a repeat attempt two days later. The police were called while the second trolley was being filled. You can't cure stupid. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 13:04
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - WillDeBeest
>...a common characteristic of serial killers in the US is a lack of empathy...

Apparently lack of empathy manifests itself in other forms of sociopathy too - such as voting Conservative: tinyurl.com/amygdalascan
Perhaps mustard-coloured trousers appeal to the same primitive part of the brain as beige cars.
};---)
I don't think he owns mustard coloured trousers - I'll text him and ask. :-)
Phew ! You'd been a bit quiet this AM so we were fearing that you had taken that poor chap down to the garage again.

Been around a couple of dealers - very little out there of any quality in the price band - the only other car seen is a Polo1.2 like he wrote off in red.
You have mail Rob.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - BiggerBadderDave
Could he not buy this beige motor and paint it gloss red with a roller or brush?
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - WillDeBeest
Just belatedly had a look at car in the link. The colour doesn't bother me - it's metallic and no worse than the innumerable nondescript shades of grey that most cars are offered in these days. I have seen Fabias in non-metallic beige, which is truly grim - I thought at first that was what this one would be.

For what it's worth, we ran a 2000 Fabia hatch for seven years and found it pretty good. Its worst feature was the 1.4 MPi engine, which this one doesn't have. Second-worst were the flat and hard seats, which were pretty horrid after an hour or so; again, this one seems to have something more shapely.
The estate is an awkward-looking beast compared with the hatch, and that one seems expensive for its age - but then I'm a bit out of touch with small-car prices these days. But for a solid piece of transport, PU's friend could do much worse.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - madf
Beige is great for cars:
hides dirt, sick, dog poo and horse crap.

Ideal for someone who has no empathy.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Alastairw
The colour of the outside if the car is fine - I looked at a few Octys in that colour. However, I dont think I could live with the pale coloured interior, which would no doubt get grubby quite quickly.
Calling it an estate doesn't help. Now, if it was a Fabia Sport Tourer Sedicivalvole in Sahara Silver with an oyster cloth interior I'm sure it'd get more interest ;-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 14:46
>> Calling it an estate doesn't help. Now, if it was a Fabia Sport Tourer Sedicivalvole

They actually called them "Combi" at first but gave up after a few years when evryone else called them estates!

I drove all over northern Europe with ours and always found the setas perfectly comfortable... though seat comfort can vary from person to person!
Photo is a bit misleading it's sort of charcoal inside..
Even better - graphite 'speed' cloth upholstery ;-)
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - nyx2k
my 1991 merc 190e is a beige colour and the brochure called it champagne but its a dull gold/beige
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Alastairw
Do we think Dom Perignon would sell as well if it was called 'Beige'?

Just imagine 'Just going to crack open a bottle of beige to celebrate the birth!'
Last edited by: Alastairw on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 17:54
My Princess is champagne beige, but its more of a cream colour than a brown colour...
Last edited by: hobby on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 19:15
Had another look at it yesterday - it is in absolutely cracking condition - alloys are unmarked - the interior even smells new - taking the prospective owner to have a look shortly. Also looking at a 1.4 Polo - younger, scruffier, double the mileage and a grand more in red..
Went for a look with the prospective owner....test drive revealed a new car like feel that belied its age - beautifully light controls, two new tyres on the front, unused spare. 12 months MoT, tax until August 2011. The car had a fully stamped service book, the last was a major in December, 12 months warranty, can't go wrong - Alloy wheels, fogs, decent seats. Good deal negotiated. Car bought.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 15:27
He'll cut a dash down at the shore at Llandudno in that all right...

I doubt it on two fronts (!) the colour isn't that bad - it's a solid well made car at a good price - see him through the next five years or so.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - -
Saw an Octavia estate in that colour the other day, spotlessy clean and looking good.

Sounds like a good buy, i'd imagine that colour would be specified by those that look after their motors, it's a mature thinking persons colour not the black/silver/blue default stock spec.
I like Octavia estates. Had one on hire a couple of years ago. It was a funny colour too but not unpleasant. A sort of greenish / greyish metallic. Noisy diesel engine though as I recall. Very noisy actually.

Never quite liked Fabias although nothing against them and despite my penchant for estates I find the Fabia estate a difficult design to love. Bit of a Noddy mobile to my eyes.

Having said that, one of my German neighbours who works for Bentley has one as his company car. Well, they get to lease anything from the VAG group they want at favourable rates. He says it does him fine as he's usually testing the latest Bentley all day so he just wants the cheapest thing he can get for to-ing and fro-ing.

Indeed it probably is a fine car. A sort of automotive Susan Boyle perhaps.
What you say might be true Humph - we did some hunting on his behalf, most of the stuff we saw was "desirable" make/model they were scruffy in the main. This guy views cars as appliances, it'll fulfil his needs. He lives a minimalist life style that in some ways I admire...
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - idle_chatterer
>> Noisy diesel engine though as I recall. Very noisy actually.
>>

That'll be the PD then.....

Can I confess that I quite like what Car Magazine used to describe as OAP Beige ? The metallic/pearlescent light golds you get sometimes. Apparently the 'trade' doesn't like these colours.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Avant
He's got a thoroughly good buy there, PU. If that's the 100 bhp version (which was dropped for the Mark 2 Fabia for some reason) it goes like a bomb. It'll be far better to drive and probably more reliable than the Vauxhall that 'A-to-B' motorists often end up with.
Apparently the 'trade' doesn't like these colours

That was part of the attraction when shopping around - I knew this one might be hard to sell version with a petrol engine and the colour - which is fine by the way.

Thanks Avant - I test drove it for him as he has a broken arm from his shunt - it was a delight, very very light controls etc.

Maybe he should re-spray it matt black !
The car was picked up in the 10th and he approves of it - as I said for him it was transport. He did disclose that the salesman tried to flog him locking wheel nuts when I my attention was drawn by the matt black 500...
Bet he's beating the girls off with a stick now then.
Possibly as we speak.
I'm sorry, just for clarity, who has the stick? Is it a white one?

John
Funnily enough if you met him you realized that he epitomizes the speaking softly big stick approach to life...I wish I was like him sometimes...maybe a tad fussier about my wheels.
...and a tad less gullible maybe ?

Did you know, by the way, that the definition of "gullible" doesn't appear in any recognised dictionary ?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 19:33
There was talk of fleet review at our place today - the Skoda was mentioned as an ideal second car (hypothetically) the MX5 was the subject and its suitability for the current commute it undertakes....the magic and inevitable words Alfa Romeo fell out of my mouth...:-)
What have you done? Come on now, I can recognise a softening up technique when I see one. The MX5 was mentioned in the same sentence so (not familiar with current names) a Spider?
John
No something more practical a Milo was the third word that fell out of my mouth. She wants something drivable...IYKWIM.
She's been watching Zen. Try putting Bullit on the DVD player, see what happens then ;-)
John
Hehe ! We had a Mustang on Honeymoon !
Bet you don't buy a beige one...

Nice one though PU, did I hear the word "Brera" whispered?...( must stop biting my hand )
Either red, black or green I would imagine...! The one we saw was red anyway - seemed right somehow...
If Alfa made a car in beige it would have an impossibly sexy Italian name, like audioprotesi aggettivo or summat......

Ivory Mist I gather. Or Biondo Champagne for the older ones...

I heard somewhere, in the passing.
 Skoda Fabia - 1.4 16v Estate in er...beige. - Auntie Lockbrakes
I like gold. The Skoda looked fine to me! My father bought a gold Fiesta Ghia in 1989, and it looked far classier than its silver predecessor. Ford called it Silica Gold. Ah memories!
Latest Forum Posts