Motoring Discussion > At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 43

At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-12089964

I guess it helps to have local interest like
The Rt Hon Philip Hammond, MP for Runnymede and Weybridge - Secretary of State for Transport.

It has been a long time coming.

At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Zero
That's a nice looking bridge.

Funnily enough, I was at the National Gallery today to se the Canaletto's on display in the Sainsbury wing. (amazing artist, the detail is exquisite)

Anyway, the Old Walton Bridge, built in 1750, was an astonishing feat of engineering design and art. Painted by Canaletto in 1754.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Walton_Bridge
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 20:16
The older (4th) bridge
www.geograph.org.uk/photo/94820
www.pbase.com/john_cooper/image/62388734

The 4th and 5th bridges
tinyurl.com/33lre47
Roll on no six which I think looks good.

As Z pointed out the Old Walton Bridge by Canaletto, 1754
That is certainly is beautiful.
Looking at the history of the bridges at Walton, (there have been 5 to date) it seems the site is favoured by artists.

Turner painted the second Walton Bridge

www.onlineartstudio.co.uk/image.php?id=1562

Walton is a favoured crossing point, Gaius Julius Caesar crossed the river there in 54BC during the second invasion of Britain.
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Old Navy
We're getting a real bridge.

tinyurl.com/349tru9
And guess who will be paying for it!

Not the jocks for sure!
:-)
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - jc2
Probably being paid for by the Dartford Crossing.
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Cockle
Well they did tell us they wanted to keep the tolls to pay for another Thames crossing; just didn't specify where on the Thames that crossing was going to be, we just assumed it was going to be to the East of London.....
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Alanovich
They already had a bridge, albeit it temporary, and unfashionable working class Reading has desperately needed a new bridge for over 40 years. Where's ours coming from?
Oh?

Is your MP not the transport secretary then?
>>Reading has desperately needed a new bridge for over 40 years. Where's ours coming from?
>>
You are getting a new bridge - £850m worth - oh its not over the river but the good news is ...
"Passengers won't see much difference but behind the scenes a massive amount has changed." ?????

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-12102741

Walton bridge is a little less expensive :-)
Yes, and my main route into town has been closed for two days for this erection.

All worth it in the long run though, now where's our flippin' road bridge over the Thames????????
>> All worth it in the long run though, now where's our flippin' road bridge over the Thames????????
>>
You obviously have not been talking to the right people.
There have been two new bridges over the Thames not far from me - The M3 and the M25 bridges which still have not solved traffic jams over the existing Thames bridges in the area.
Write a letter to that nice Mr Cameron ?
Cameron represents a nimby constituency in Oxfordshire which doesn't want the bridge built, as they think it will increase traffic and destroy their "rural" idyll. This is the whole problem with the bridge, Reading needs it but the take off point and landing point on either side of the Thames are both in different local authorities - Wokingham and South Oxfordshire - and neither are renowned for their non-nimbyness.

We need a boundary change to expand Reading Borough literally 50 yards in each direction and then we'd have our solution. I ain't holding my breath, it's been 40 years so far since the A329(M) was built, with the northern end prepared to accommodate the new crossing (all of which should have been part of a new motorway, the M31).
"Cameron represents a nimby constituency in Oxfordshire which doesn't want the bridge built, "
>>
That sounds quite a familiar saga. The Walton new bridge project has dragged on for many many years.

The derelict bridge and its current temporary replacement is narrow so trucks cant use them.
The previous design includied straightening the road on the Shepperton side but that got dropped.
The whole concern by Weybridge, Esher and Cobham areas has been to prevent trucks having another route. Who said anthing about nimbies.
The bridge is more than adequate for Chelsea tractors.
The funny thing is, there was severe opposition to the first Walton Bridge in the 1700's, mostly from those south of the river fearing an influx of the more uncouth and unrully Northerners.
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Boxsterboy
>> The funny thing is, there was severe opposition to the first Walton Bridge in the
>> 1700's, mostly from those south of the river fearing an influx of the more uncouth
>> and unrully Northerners.
>>

How times change!

I remember being put off buying a house on the river here (Shepperton side) some 20 years ago because the new bridge was imminent and its impact on the otherwise delightful house was uncertain.
Progress report.
www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2100996_walton_bridge_works_clear_way_for_january_start
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Ted

Girly bridge !

We, oop Noorth, are getting a proper reet big 'un at Runcorn !

So there !

Ted
Its a good looking, artistic bridge, delightfully sculpted, with perfect proportions to fit in with its picturesque location.

Your reet big un, is nowt burra lump o olde iron, fit only for t'lorries that'l use it.
>> Its a good looking, artistic bridge, delightfully sculpted, with perfect proportions to fit in with its picturesque location.
>>
and an appropriate approach across the Thames to the famous HWM Aston Martin showrooms
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - CGNorwich
Bridges?

Chain ferry at Reedham, Norfolk.

gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/190649-river-ferry.jpeg
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Harleyman
>> Bridges?
>>
>>
>> Chain ferry at Reedham, Norfolk.
>>
>> gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/190649-river-ferry.jpeg
>>

Norfolk might be flat and full of people who don't speak English as a first language, but it ain't Holland! ;-)

Check your link...... and ask your sister (or is it cousin?) to put it right . ;-)
www.simplonpc.co.uk/Reedham-Ferry.html
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - CGNorwich
whoops - wrong photo.

tinyurl.com/684tawu
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Mr. Ecs
Wonder if it will have a toll to pay for it taking in the current financial constraints?
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Ted

We have the Warburton Bridge near here. The owners, The Manchester Ship Canal Co. charge bikers 12p for a trip across a Victorian road bridge over a section of the River Mersey diverted into the canal over 100 years ago. You're just crossing over a long, thin field. The bridge is hidden by the trees just NW of the toll barriers. The road leads to a large high level bridge over the canal...but that's not what you're paying for !

tinyurl.com/65bbsag

Country lane, really...one lane each way and if it's busy in the rush hour, a biker won't half cause some problems, snicking it out of gear, fumbling with gloves and finding the cash. Then putting the gloves back and setting off. I bet not more than 20 bikes use it daily...a huge loss of a couple of quid or so if they made it free.

Ted
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-16461496

Construction of the £32m crossing between Walton-on-Thames and Shepperton will begin on Monday (09 January 2012 )after initial preparations were completed.

......the new structure would be called Walton Bridge.

The existing bridges will remain open until the new crossing is completed.

It is due to be completed by the summer of 2013 and will replace two long-serving temporary bridges.
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Mr. Ecs
No wonder no-one wants to award contracts for anything to be built here. Takes too long. 18 months to build a piddley little bridge. My god.
I am waiting for some fantastic finds when thy start digging and that will delay things further :-)
Last edited by: henry k on Sun 8 Jan 12 at 19:56
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - bathtub tom
>> I am waiting for some fantastic finds when thy start digging

Old actors and suchlike?
If their names were Gaius Julius Caesar, or the Sheriff of Nottingham, yes.,
I now read
"All the archaeological trenches have now been completed, together with the historic building recording for Walton Bridge House and Toll Cottage."

So no Caesar bits found ?

Scheme Layout

tinyurl.com/cdknygj
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 9 Jan 12 at 01:08
Mind its deeply stupid not to have tried to improve the pinch spots that cause jams. The original plan shelved many years ago to fly the bridge to the Shepperton roundabout was much better.

And they have left that stupid junction for Walton Lane just as it is. (on purpose I think to stop people using it)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20108650

A view of "...the first section of arches had been put in place.
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Duncan
Or watch it live(ish) on the webcam thing.

www.camvista.com/streaming/waltonbridge.html
This is a bridge, (with work well underway), as are the other two crossing the Forth at this location.

www.transportscotland.gov.uk/road/projects/forth-replacement-crossing/project-library/multimedia
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Oct 12 at 14:14
EDIT:-

Even this new (ish) one further upstream is a bit bigger.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=clackmannanshire+bridge&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=s9-LULr8KcSm0AWg54D4AQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=507
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Oct 12 at 14:20
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - Boxsterboy
I went under the new Walton on Thames bridge yesterday (on a paddleboard!) and was most disappointed. Yes, there is a lovely modern arch, and they've gone and painted it beige! Beige fer-chris-sakes!! I know it's Surrey, and all that, but couldn't they have chosen a colour more in-keeping with the modern style?

And are they going to keep the incredibly ugly old bridge for pedestrians/cyclists, just so it ruins the view of the new one? Probably, I suppose.
It was a lovely sky blue at one point. That looked good
..... before the opening on 22 July.
The council said traffic delays were possible while the A244 was realigned.

....."There has been some controversy," he said.
"There has even been a demand that a bishop bless it - the problem is that on one side of the bridge you have the Bishop of London and on the other side you have the Bishop of Guildford."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-23110675
 At last a new bridge for Walton on Thames - crocks
It opened this morning.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-23404157
Thanks for the update.
I went over the old bridge on Friday and noted a small gaggle of persons at the centre of the new bridge sans Hi Vis tabards but one had a purple cassock.
IIRC some while back, there was some sort of discussion re who in purple was to do the honours as the bridge joined two different parishes.

www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/new-walton-bridge-officially-opened-5069069
Includes some photos of the construction and same rather nice local vehicles
Latest Forum Posts