Motoring Discussion > Proton - Malaysian Cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 7

Proton - Malaysian Cars - idle_chatterer
Just returned from my first trip to Malaysia (Borneo) and was struck by the fact that 90% of the cars on the road were home-grown Protons and Peroduas. There were a (very) few Toyotas and even these were models I've never ever seen in Europe, the USA or even Hong Kong.

Also, a high proportion were 'customised', mostly laughably so - all candidates for Top Gear Magazine's 'carbage' section, little Perodua Kancils with blacked out windows, tin can exhausts and bling alloys on lowered suspension. Not sure that their 850cc (or is that 650cc) engines would deliver the goods though.

Car ownership seemed high, I was told that Malaysia levies 100% import duty on non-domestic cars which foments this situation, I certainly saw an advert for a new VW Polo at the equivalent of GBP 21,000 which fits with this.

I sincerely hope that Proton follow Hyundai and Kia into making competitive cars for the sake of all those current and aspiring Malaysian drivers.....

Proton - Malaysian Cars - Chris S
>> Just returned from my first trip to Malaysia (Borneo) and was struck by the fact
>> that 90% of the cars on the road were home-grown Protons and Peroduas.

Didn't the great JC say that these cars were made in a jungle clearing by people wearing leaves for shorts?
 Proton - Malaysian Cars - madf
Satria GT is a wolf in sheep's clothing...
 Proton - Malaysian Cars - RattleandSmoke
Engineered by Lotus :).

Just imagine if the UK had a 100% tax on foriegn cars, 10,000 brummies would still be in work and we will all be driving around in 1990 Honda's with wood on the dashboard!
 Proton - Malaysian Cars - Zero
>> Engineered by Lotus :).

Not. All they engineered was the badge,.
 Proton - Malaysian Cars - RattleandSmoke
I thought Lotus had a lot of input on Protons chasis designs? I thought the entire reason Proton bought Lotus was for their expertise.
 Proton - Malaysian Cars - Zero
Possibly thats why they bought it but they have made a right pigs ear of owning lotus and never fully exploited the engineering talent there.
 Proton - Malaysian Cars - Roger.
I have toured the Proton factory, situated in Kuala Lumpur.
No - the cars are not made by natives in loincloths, working in a jungle clearing, but in a highly computerised modern factory, built especially for the fairly new venture (as it was then) jointly with Mitsubishi,. At that time (1989) ALL the engines were made in Japan and shipped in to Malaysia in crates.
Latest Forum Posts