Motoring Discussion > Thinking of buying ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 86

Thinking of buying ... - Hard Cheese

... my current lease car, a 2007 Focus ST2 3dr with keyless, Bluetooth and voice control.

I have not had it from new, I took it over just over a year ago on 35k, just after it had a new engine due to the previous driver neglecting to get it serviced, accordingly it doesn't have a full history though has been serviced regulary over the last 35k miles.

It is in pretty good order for it's now 70k miles and has had four new alloys in the last year. I am hoping to get a suspension issue sorted shortly and then it should be A1.

I have not got a price from the lease company yet though the Vauxhall value-my-car site says £6650 p-ex in good condition.

Any thoughts?

Thinking of buying ... - MD
Sounds a bit firm to me.
 Thinking of buying ... - Zero
sounds like a pup, send it back
 Thinking of buying ... - Netsur
There are two thoughts here: -

1. Forgetting the price, is the car one you would be happy to keep and maintain for the next couple of years. It sounds like you would be, given your attitude to servicing etc (unlike the previous driver).

2. The next question is, is the price reasonable given the history?

Don't buy a car just because its cheap; you have to like it as well.

A bit firm?

Thinking of buying ... - Mapmaker
Sounds like quite a lot of money for a high-mileage car with no history.

But... if you're planning on keeping it for a couple of years or more, if you think it's cheap then it might be worth buying.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 5 Jan 11 at 16:16
 Thinking of buying ... - DP
The only thing likely to have suffered from 35k of neglected servicing is the engine, and that's been replaced anyway.
At the right price, and given you know the car well, it sounds like a good buy.
In my experience, lease companies can be incredibly "tight" when it comes to their customers employees buying end of term cars. I seriously looked into it with my old Focus, tempted by the promise of "a good deal", but in the end they wanted absolutely top money for it. I remember finding significantly lower mileage examples, with dealer warranties, for the same money. Worth researching the offer against the market very carefully if you decide to go down this route.
 Thinking of buying ... - BobbyG
.... and then refuse their offer and try and find out what auction it goes into?
 Thinking of buying ... - Netsur
Colleague of mine found the same. He let the car go and then Googled the Reg Number. He found the car was at auction and bought it for 20% less than they had offered it to him.
Aren't there loads of these about?
 Thinking of buying ... - rtj70
As Espada and DP say, the lease company expect more than you'd think for an end of lease car. Maybe they hope someone knowing the full history will pay? I don't know but the prices are often high.
 Thinking of buying ... - idle_chatterer
I never enquired about my beloved 330d Touring as I currently have no use for a car being in HK, however I Googled it and found it marked as sold at a dealer for a seemingly very reasonable price (manual without leather so undesirable) - someone has a bargain imho but the auction would have delivered a real bargain if I assume the dealer put GBP 2K on it?

I did enquire about my previous A4 and the lease company offered a highish price, however colleagues have told me that they will sometimes hint at where and when it will be auctioned.

One explanation I've heard for the highish prices from leasing companies is the logic that if you buy the car you'll not lease another so they wish to discourage you, another is that some offer warranties for which you'll pay in the end.

One comment on the Focus ST, my company will no longer reimburse fuel for engines larger than 2.0L (supposedly greenness but more likely to do with costs). Will such a thirsty and high CO2 car as the ST be a bit of a liability in the future or do you intend keeping it until it dies or as a second car ?

>> my company will no longer reimburse fuel for engines larger than 2.0L (supposedly greenness but more likely to do with costs).
>>

Good point, my current employer pays at 21p/mile for petrol cars over 2 ltr and the ST cost me about 19.5p/mile at £1.30 ltr. However it look like I will be going back into self-emplyment and 40p mile for business use.

>> The only thing likely to have suffered from 35k of neglected servicing is the engine,
>> and that's been replaced anyway.
>>

That is my logic, I will ask re a price in a month or so.

Hello,

It looks like I can buy the FocuST for around £7500, April 2007 with 72k miles, in generally good order, the front suspension vibration has not been cured though I am not too concerned, I would probably strip it down myself. New MOT and 12 months RFL.

As said it had a new engine at 35k so is not due a cambelt for a good while, it had new driveshafts at about 60k, the tyres are approx 40% worn front, 60% worn rear, will need new rear pads and perhaps discs soon.

Glass's guide:
Part Exchange £6,650

Parkers (at 30k miles):
Private Good £10,005
Private Poor £8,020
Part Exchange £9,020

Any thoughts?

(BTW the Vauxhall Glass's Guide facility is no longer free it seems, rather it is simply a link to Glass's site.)
 Thinking of buying ... - Falkirk Bairn
>> the tyres are approx 40% worn front, 60% worn rear, will need new rear pads and perhaps discs soon

If you were unlucky in the next 2/3 weeks you might have 2 punctures and these grinding / squeaky rear pads and disks should be looked at for safety reasons.

:-)

I have tried the latter, the pads and disc, had the car MOT'd at a Ford dealer and they said that they couldnt get authorisation from the lease company. They did though authorise a new driver's seat belt because the intertia reel mechanism was a little graunchy.

>>
>> (BTW the Vauxhall Glass's Guide facility is no longer free it seems, rather it is
>> simply a link to Glass's site.)
>>

Deleting the related cookies helped:

Gla$$'s courtesy of Vaux:
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £6880
Average condition: £6370
Below average condition: £5640

Thinking of buying ... - Iffy
...It looks like I can buy the FocuST for around £7500, April 2007...

That's more like it.

If the 'trader is anything to go by, close to retail money, or arguably a little under.

Given the type of vehicle it is, buying one you know is a very good idea.

But as others have said, it's only a good idea if you really want a Focus ST.

tinyurl.com/4r3hs8t

Thinking of buying ... - VxFan
>> (BTW the Vauxhall Glass's Guide facility is no longer free it seems, rather it is
>> simply a link to Glass's site.)

"Get three valuations free with Vauxhall and Glass's"

www.vauxhall.co.uk/offers-finance/value-my-car.html

or you can do it on Network Q's website

www.networkq.co.uk/buying/value-your-car/

Thinking of buying ... - R.P.
Can't you come to an arrangement with your employer so that they "pay" for your car with a portion of your "pay in lieu of notice" you'd nicely avoid the tax issue if you worked it out right. Otherwise if you lie the car and you feel it's been well looked after in your custody - it sounds like the car is a bargain really.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 16:58
>> Can't you come to an arrangement with your employer so that they "pay" for your
>> car with a portion of your "pay in lieu of notice" you'd nicely avoid the
>> tax issue if you worked it out right. >>

Hmm, nice idea, the employer would have to pay the lease co, might work ...
You are buying a car that's had a new engine for an unknown reason and driveshafts, has strange noises from the suspension, and needs new brakes. You want to lash out 7.5k on this.

Any thoughts?

Yes we though Stu was weird when it came to car buying choices. You Cheddar take the biscuit.
What sort of car needs a new engine after 30k miles. I think I'm correct in saying that a VW might go as far as 25k before the light comes on? Presumably there's 20% latitude in that before it blows up!
 Thinking of buying ... - mikeyb
Given the partial history and slightly up miles 7.5K sounds a bit stiff to me.

I dont imagine that the market for the more juicy focus's is that big. Could you try making them an offer?

If not I would just try and follow it through auction cos I cant see it making 7.5K in the halls

>> If not I would just try and follow it through auction cos I cant see it making 7.5K in the halls >>

If I decide I want it I wont risk missing it, putting up with the hassle of trailing around an auction perhaps many miles away and the risk of it getting damaged for the sake of perhaps £500.

Thinking of buying ... - Baz
Are you happy to run it with petrol nudging towards 1.35/litre and maybe more? I've heard 25 mpg is not unusual, Of course, it depends on your annual mileage of course. The market for these isn't going to be strong, that may not be a problem if you're keeping it.
Its history would put me off, as Zero says. Sounds like it was thrashed mercilessly with no care before you had it? £7500 can buy into plenty of other nice kit.

>> Sounds like it was thrashed mercilessly >>

No they were a mimser.

>> £7500 can buy into plenty of other nice kit. >>

That's the other consideration, though unknown kit of course.

>> You are buying a car that's had a new engine for an unknown reason

Not unknown, I know who the previous driver is, he looked after it cosmetically though went over a service and didnt check the oil, the bottom end was knocking and it had a new engine. Better a 37k engine that I have driven all but a few hundred miles than a 72k engine that I have done 37k of.

So your buying a car with an engine that cant survive a missed oil change.

No the oil level was too low, TBH this engine might be subceptible to damage at low oil levels - ask Smokie - though if looked after they do many 00,000 miles, look at how many high mileage Volvos there are around.

Thinking of buying ... - Bellboy
you guys love your lemons on this site
maybe i should start up a lemon appreciation society and anyone interested could bid on the cars the trade dont want

I certainly wouldnt call it a lemon, you can get orange ones though mine is not an orange either ...
...I certainly wouldnt call it a lemon...

Don't worry, it's been freezing out on the site today, and I bet he hasn't done any deals. :)

... and it has Bluetooth and keyless, very rare options on this gen Focus it seems, both excellent features.

Blimey, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Still keep trying to convince yourself.
freezing today
nearly set fire to a lada for a warm but havent got one
 Thinking of buying ... - corax
>> freezing today
>> nearly set fire to a lada for a warm but havent got one

Yep, I'm basically wearing my own fleece tops, because the council stuff isn't warm enough. Don't you have heated premises BB? I've got visions of this bloke in a fur hat rubbing his hands over a dustbin with a fire amidst the old jalopies :)
£50 for a top up bottle of propane so im trying to outrun the cold corax till october,im from yorkshire you know,tin baths,holidays in skeggy etc remember
doing well till this last few days too:-(
had to find my steptoe gloves the wife knitted me to get though today though

>> Blimey, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Still keep trying to
>> convince yourself.
>>

Yeah and when doubts creep in I tell myself I could have a Lancer estate, that does the job ...

;-)

>> Yeah and when doubts creep in I tell myself I could have a Lancer estate,
>> that does the job ...

Indeed it does, and it didnt need a new engine to do it. No strange noises from the suspension either

Just ragging Z ...
Nooo!

You dont think I was offended do you?

YOu dont buy a car like mine without a thick skin.

And, as I keep telling my boy, it has the exact same side skirts as an evo.
wow
im not impressed
i hate thick skins so buy ambrosia
extra double cream see
says so on the tin
so it must be right
You offended Z, nooooooo

EDIT: to put it in context cos bellboy has posted betwixt.
Last edited by: Cheddar on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 20:40
>>
>> ... and it has Bluetooth and keyless, very rare options on this gen Focus it
>> seems, both excellent features.

I notice "voice control" never made it onto the "excellent features" list

>>I notice "voice control" never made it onto the "excellent features" list>>

No, it is clever and superfluous at the same time.

Thinking of buying ... - Runfer D'Hills
I loath the keyless system on my car. I'm forever losing the keys. Constantly I have to rake about inside the car to find them. Doorpocket, centre console box thingy, pocket of jacket, top pocket, jeans pocket....bah !
I loath the keyless system on my car
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> easy way to steal your car now if you have keyless
insurance companies are a bit panicky about it and have requested that manufacturers do something about it fast
it applies to all makes/models
twas in the sunday times a few weeks back (other quality newspapers are availabubble)
>>
>> ... and it has Bluetooth and keyless, very rare options on this gen Focus it
>> seems, both excellent features.
>>
And pointless in the real world. No added value at this age. Driving is what counts. NOT the ruddy extras.
>>
>> No the oil level was too low, TBH this engine might be subceptible to damage
>> at low oil levels - ask Smokie - though if looked after they do many
>> 00,000 miles, look at how many high mileage Volvos there are around.
>>
I had this engine in an 850, used and abused, low oil and everything else. It NEVER failed.

I believe (what do I know?) that you are decided and blinkered. However, I would pay 4k for this car and no more. 7.5 is sheer lunacy.

Martin.
 Thinking of buying ... - John H
>> I believe (what do I know?) that you are decided and blinkered. However, I would
>> pay 4k for this car and no more. 7.5 is sheer lunacy.
>>

Agreed. I think Cheddar is looking for positive reinforcements to help justify his decision, although he comes across as if he is undecided. ;-)

>> However, I would pay 4k for this car and no more. 7.5 is sheer lunacy.
>>

Martin et al, if you can find one comparable to mine in age, spec, mileage and history for £4k I will guarantee you a 25% profit.

Thinking of buying ... - idle_chatterer
Wasn't there a post a year or so back here or maybe before the split from HJ about someone with a similarly neglected 2.5T Mondeo which had suffered big end failure ? Same engine I think ?

Why don't people change their oil ?
In company cars it's not theirs! I think you're right about the Mondy though. Cheap insurance is that oil stuff.
A lot of negativity on here about a fast Ford.

I wonder how many of you have ever driven one?

Like it or not, the going rate for a 2007 Focus ST is £7k-£8k.

Cheddar knows the car and likes the spec.

Others on offer could/should have been abused and accident damage would be a worry.

If Cheddar wants an ST in this price range, he won't do any better than the car he's currently driving.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 09:50
If Cheddar wants an ST in this price range, he won't do any better than the car he's currently driving.
>>>
>>>>> sorry disagree with this statement
as said already the car is not a peach its not even an orange so needs buying as a prune and valuing as a date
...valuing as a date...

Stone me.

Done any so far today?
Done anyone so far today?

~~~~~~~~~> not yet ;-
...~~~~~~~~~> not yet ;-...

I'm in the caravan, so I can pop round and pretend to buy one.

Might just push a genuine customer over the edge on the 'see someone licking an ice cream' principle.
The history on this car is not good.

Not a rant against fast fords in general.

>> The history on this car is not good.
>>

The history is 100% known, more than can be said about any other s/h car I might buy. It simply missed a service and the oil was allowed to run low so had a brand new engine paid for by the company.

There is no way I would consider any car thats had an engine replaced. There is no way that a bunch of mechanics in a ford dealership install an engine as well as it was at the factory.

The car simply missed a service?

If that were "simply" the case the roadside would be littered with cars with expired engines.

>> There is no way I would consider any car thats had an engine replaced. There is no way that a bunch of mechanics in a ford dealership install an engine as well as it was at the factory. >>

I would rather buy, say, a 1 year old car on 10k miles with its original engine that one that had required a new engine in the first 10k miles however I would prefer a 35k miles engine fitted by a Ford and which I only have driven for all but 1000 of those miles to a 70k mile engine driven who knows who.

>> The car simply missed a service?
>>
>> If that were "simply" the case the roadside would be littered with cars with expired
>> engines.
>>

Z that is blatantly misquoted, I also said "and the oil was allowed to run low".

Its not the engine you worry about, its all the tight or misrouted wiring looms, the suspension and subframe alignment, the misaligned clutch and gearbox. etc etc etc
...Its not the engine you worry about, its all the tight or misrouted wiring looms, the suspension and subframe alignment, the misaligned clutch and gearbox. etc etc etc...

That is a thought, but there's a better chance of the Ford dealer fitting a new engine correctly than there is of them rebuilding the old one.

Going back to my brief and unspectacular career as a mechanic, I could do an A1 job of changing a Cortina engine, but I couldn't rebuild one to the same standard.

>> If Cheddar wants an ST in this price range, he won't do any better than the car he's currently driving. >>

I am not 100% decided though Iffy sums it up very well.

Thinking of buying ... - DP
The engine swap would not put me off in the slightest if it were a new Ford engine fitted in a Ford dealer workshop and fitted (in theory) to Ford standards. It's not like it was a scrapyard knacker fitted by Dodgy Dave down the arches for a monkey.

If you like the car, Cheddar, buy it. The used performance car market will be full of crashed, thrashed, abused sheds. Better the devil you know.
 Thinking of buying ... - corax
>> If you like the car, Cheddar, buy it. The used performance car market will be
>> full of crashed, thrashed, abused sheds. Better the devil you know.

The thing is, you asked for thoughts and people gave them to you. Based on the information you've given us, you can't blame people for thinking as they do, but none of us have driven the car - I don't think I've even seen a photo of it, so you'll have to do what you think is best, which you're gonna do anyway :)
+1
 Thinking of buying ... - Bill Payer
Based on some experience, and others have commented on this earlier, I think you'll be suprised at how much the lease company want for the car.

It's sensible to mull over some ideas beforehand, but detailed agonising and discussion seem pointless until you know that figure.

Around £7500 as quoted above BP.
 Thinking of buying ... - Bill Payer
>> Around £7500 as quoted above BP.
>>
That's just your estimate though, isn't it?

I was interested in buying my brother's Golf GTD but the lease company wanted £14K for it, which it top end of that they go for off VW forecourts.
 Thinking of buying ... - Avant
Cheddar, I think the wisdom or otherwise of buying the ST depends on whether you want to keep it long-term (in which case it sounds good if you can get it for a reasonable price) or if you will sell it in the next year or two (in which case you won't get much for it as it hasn't got FSH).

Lack of FSH should be something you can use to beat the purchase price down.
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 20:37
>>That's just your estimate though, isn't it?>>

Its an estimate from the lease company.

>> Cheddar, I think the wisdom or otherwise of buying the ST depends on whether you
>> want to keep it long-term (in which case it sounds good if you can get
>> it for a reasonable price) >>

I agree the SH is an issue though I would have a print out from the lease company with the full history documented.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 09:18

£7600 including 6 months AA 5* warranty and 11 months RFL, what do you think?
>>
>> £7600 including 6 months AA 5* warranty and 11 months RFL, what do you think?
>>
>>

You know you want it, you know you are going to ignore people who say "don't", so as some oriental traders say "be a man", and just go ahead and buy it.

I wouldn't bother asking if I didn't value opinions John.

Thinking of buying ... - Skoda
£7600 wont really buy much else of interest?

If you could add a couple of quid you could stretch to a 12 year old porker. Maybe get an alright face lifted BMW e65.

Seems fairly straight forward choice to me.

Plus the e65 will be comfier ;-)
 Thinking of buying ... - Pat
Do it Cheddar.

There's nothing worse than spending years saying 'I wish I had....'

Pat
Find out where it goes to auction and buy it. But then you will have to hire/borrow something for a month or so until it arrives. If you can arrange to leave a kipper under the floor mats when you send it back then that will knock even more off the price.

1k over trade-in doesn't sound too bad, but I reckon if they sent it to auction they'll get 1500 less and will have to pay fees of £200-£500? and will have to ship it, look after it etc.

See if you can negotiate.
of course once it goes to auction every harriet will want to give it some revs and take any nice bits that might just fall off.......

It is in the garage currently having the steering rack replaced that might just cure the vibration issue, nevertheless I think I may have decided that £7.5k is too much ...

Thinking of buying ... - Runfer D'Hills
Yesterday, on our local swimming pool car park, there was a brace of Mondeo ST155 estates parked side by side. Both in "Performance Blue". Not my favourite colour but I still would have had either given half a chance...

Still looked the bee's knees in my humble but unashamedly biased opinion.

The Focus now has a new steering rack, I did 270 miles in it yesterday, it is good to drive, it seems a lot of car for £7500, confirmed inclusive price, 12 months MOT, 12 months RFL, 6 months 5* warranty.

Looking on auto trader I could get an '06 (year older) one with a little less miles for around £7500-£8000 though without Bluetooth and keyless which I value, and one of the same age would be at least £8k at similar mileage again without the Bluetooth etc.

Hmm ... ... ...
 Thinking of buying ... - R.P.
Buy it, you want it, you know it, its had loads of work done on it.....a far more known quantity.

Finally decided against buying the ST ...

Latest Forum Posts