Motoring Discussion > Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 23

Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Falkirk Bairn
Just back from the Drs - When I came out there was a 09 Micra being moved in the car park - I use the term loosely.

3000 revs or may be more - car was creeping back and forward about 1/2 mtr at a time then leapt forward - mounted the kerb and she was off.

What would you do?

1) Ignore it
2) Take the Reg and report to the BiB as she is a danger to everyone including herself.

Not having a pen to note the Reg I couldn't note the reg then consider reporting it.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Badwolf
While she's obviously no longer competent behind the wheel, I'm not sure I'd report her to the BiB. I don't like to bother them, really, as they've enough on their plate. Which, I know, could include a serious RTC involving a Nissan Micra.... Tough call, I suppose.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Stuu
On a risk basis, she prob does few miles, a car is a lifeline for her, so unless she actually has an accident ( often these types dont, they just look like one about to happpen ), id leave well alone.

There is a scruffy old lady who owns a very old Triumph Dolomite, in poor condition.
It was taxed last time I saw it, but clearly its being welded every year to get a ticket.
My nan and I witnessed her doing the 3000 revs bit in Tesco carpark, wrestling with a car which has no PAS and her obviously poor spacial awareness.
Just after, I watched a mother with baby make even more of a hash of it in a Zafira.
Ok, the old lady is, well, an old lady - whats the younger womans excuse?

All Im saying is, she may just be a bad driver, but thats not always age related, she may be fine out on the road.

A customer of mine, scarily has very poor eyesight, to the extent that when I called over yesterday, her Forester was parked 3 ft into the neatly trimmed hedge. Funny, but scary too.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - VxFan
>> Not having a pen to note the Reg I couldn't note the reg then consider reporting it.

Did you have your mobile with you? If it's not got a voice recorder you could add the reg as a contact name in the directory.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Old Sock

>> 2) Take the Reg and report to the BiB as she is a danger to
>> everyone including herself.

With the greatest of respect, if I went toddling off to the cop shop every time I witnessed a 'dangerous to everyone' incident, they'd lock me up for wasting their time.....
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Bill Payer
Sounds like my FIL - every time we see his car it has a new battle scar. He drove straight across a cross-roads the other day, resulting in a (fortunately minor) bump after he got confused about where he was and thinking he was on the major road.

But he lives in a rural village and he'd be totally stuffed without his car.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - FotheringtonTomas
>> 1) Ignore it
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - bathtub tom
The auto-choke on my Pride'll take the revs to 3K. It works and looks far too complicated to try and adjust.

The neighbours have never reported me, not that I know of.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Iffy
It's an awkward one.

I went to an inquest a few years ago in which the death was caused by just such a driver as the OP describes.

This elderly woman was pulling out of a small car park near a parade of shops when she unaccountably shot forward and wiped out a pedestrian.

It must have been some time ago, because the police didn't charge her with anything.

Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Skoda
There's bigger fish to fry than the occasional 5mph OAP playing at dodgems. Theyre dangerous but rare. Better tackling the dangerous but common hazards first.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Armel Coussine
Old ladies making heavy weather of turning round in a car park are responsible for more death and suffering in the world than Hitler, Stalin and Mao tse-Tung put together.

A bronze statue should be erected to Falkirk Bairn for even thinking about ratting one up to the fuzz. It isn't everyone who has such courage and cares so much for his fellow citizens.
...It isn't everyone who has such courage and cares so much for his fellow citizens...

AC,

It's very easy to be sarcastic about the question raised by the OP, as your post demonstrates.

What would you say if such a driver killed one of your loved ones?

The inquest I went to was for a real person who died sooner than they might have expected.

Had someone earlier reported the killer driver, that person may not have been killed.

The OP's question is a genuine one - lampooning him doesn't take us forward.

Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Alanovich
Quite so, Iffy.

My father may have lived to see his children grow up and bear him grandchildren, had the dangerous driver who killed him been reported previously.

The old fella I bought my Volvo 360 from had just scraped it a few times and realised he wasn't fit to drive any more. So he sold the car to prevent anything nastier happening. Full marks to him. I've written to him since buying it and given him a low down of what maintenance I've been doing with it, as it was his pride and joy, and I've offered to give him a lift every now and again (gratis of course) when he fancies a run out.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Armel Coussine
I slightly regret my acerbity with FB who may well have been worried by what he witnessed.

However I can't see faffing old ladies in Nissan Micras as a serious threat to life or limb. There are many worse. Most of them are men who are terrified of driving and the road, imagine themselves to be safe, responsible and law-abiding, and frequently do stupid, unpredictable things out of anxiety. I see these every time I drive on the road, and they are dangerous but completely unaware of it.

Were one of my 'loved ones' to be killed by an old lady manoeuvring in a car park, my first reaction, apart from grief of course, would be one of extreme astonishment.

Reporting someone like this to the old bill is a waste of your time and theirs. They are unlikely to do anything unless they see some dubious behaviour themselves.

If in a bad mood though they might be a bit sarcastic. Unsurprisingly, the police are quite hot on sarcasm.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Phil I
>However I can't see faffing old ladies in Nissan Micras as a serious threat to life or limb.

I agree AC. Just wondered how FB got the old lady to tell him how old she was.

Happy Geriatic Motoring
Phil I
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - WillDeBeest
Drivers who are no longer capable of driving safely are a legitimate concern, but who's to say that's what FB saw? I'd support any citizen who knew someone well enough in advising the authorities that their time had come, but a single observation of someone making a mistake or having a bad day isn't the same at all. I fluffed a gearchange last week on a familiar roundabout; made a horrible noise but luckily there was no-one there to hear it and turn me in.
}:---)
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - legacylad
I know this happens all the time, but last Sunday afternoon an elderly motorist caused a long, and I mean long, tailback on the A65 twixt Settle & Skipton. As I moved slowly up the queue to overtake, doing 35/40 on a NSL road, I witnessed some dreadfully dangerous overtaking manoeuvres in front. When it was finally my turn, on an admittedly short straight, I caught the old boy in his Clio unawares, and as I zoomed off into the distance I noticed a flashing of headlights from him.
If I had spotted any of the BiB parked up, I would have seriously considered stopping and having a word with them to draw their attention to what I considered to be his awful inconsiderate driving.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Bellboy
so we are becoming a country of snitches because we cant all have the gift of being in total control of all faculties
i just hope the lord is good to some of you guys when nurse comes with the needle
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Boggy
What if she hit a kid?

What if it was your kid she hit?
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Stuu
What if my Zafira lady hits a kid? Ban anyone who is a bit ropey at low speeds? That would be an awful lot of people. In terms of risk, your shooting fish in the wrong barrel.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Old Navy
Chatting with the examiner that passed me for my HGV one test in the RAF mess bar, (golden unwritten rule, do not speak to the examiners before your test), I was told that the criterior for a pass was "Is he going to kill someone, like my kids", any doubt, no pass.
 Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Ian (Cape Town)
Recently, was driving a mate's Range Rover along the coast road. Approaching a traffic circle (roundabout to you lot), and the stupid bint in the corolla in front decides to change lanes. Just drove into the RH lane, despite a few tons of 4x4 heading up her ass at speed!
ABS works, I can assure you. Also, the laws of motion are still in place - all the stuff from the back of the car came flying forward, clonk clonk clonk.
NOT nice.
Past the circle - stupid bint went straight, so WTF did she cross lanes for? - we pass her. And there, as above, is some small child standing between the seats.
maybe this is the new fashion accessory for cars - remember it used to be the metal tissue box on the parcel shelf? - now it is the small child standing on the seats!!!

Nissan Micra - 80 yr old driver - danger to all - Bill Payer
>> And there, as above, is some small child standing between the seats.
>>
She was probably partially sighted and the child was shouting directions. :)
...and the child was shouting directions...

And changing gear. :)
Latest Forum Posts