Motoring Discussion > "Free" safety check. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 11

"Free" safety check. - Old Navy
A friend was recently complaining about a "free" winter safety check at a Ford dealer. She was whinging because she was charged £28 for a "Winter care pack" containing screenwash, coolant topup, an ice scraper, and sreen deicer, although they found nothing wrong with her car.

I would have told them where to stick the overpriced Kit, not that they would have got near my car in the first place.
 "Free" safety check. - bathtub tom
It seems she wanted something for nothing - the free Winter safety check, but didn't have the bottle to refuse the Winter care pack.

The lady doth protest too much?
 "Free" safety check. - L'escargot
She obviously didn't enquire as to what was entailed before she ordered it. No doubt she could have specified "No winter care pack thank you, just the free safety check". Dealers aren't mind readers. When I have my car serviced I specify no screenwash and don't adjust tyre pressures including the spare. I inflate my spare to the maximum to allow for natural leakage, and I found (the hard way) that during a standard service it was likely to be decreased to the normal running pressure.

P.S. I was still typing when bathtub tom posted his post.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 14:07
At least they didn't use it as an opportunity to seriously rip her off or sell her a new car. :-)
>> At least they didn't use it as an opportunity to seriously rip her off or
>> sell her a new car. :-)

Surely nobody can be forced by a dealer to buy a new car?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 14:28
>> Surely nobody can be forced by a dealer to buy a new car?
>>

A friend had a sale attempt after a "service" due to the poor condition and defects on his car. It was subsequently given the equivalent of a MOT and passed without problems. (Not in the UK). He never used that dealer again.
 "Free" safety check. - Clk Sec
I had a letter about a week ago asking me if I wanted a free check on my household electrics

Free - no chance!
>> I had a letter about a week ago asking me if I wanted a free
>> check on my household electrics
>>
>> Free - no chance!

Did you enquire about the terms of the check? I thought not!
 "Free" safety check. - madf
Free check on electrics.

Story

BGas were asked by us to quote on new central heating last year. They tested mains and said we needed a new earth and included that in their quote.

We declined and did nothing.

Six months later and our mains supply fuse blew. The fuse was made in 1955 and is no longer available new. EON fitted a used one and two months later rewired the mains supply cable which was also installed in 1955 (or looked it!).

They tested the mains : and the mains earth was given the OK.

Say no more.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 15:14
 "Free" safety check. - Clk Sec
>>Did you enquire about the terms of the check? I thought not!

Well, as you've seen fit to answer your own question, there's no need for me to comment further, is there?

I thought not!
 "Free" safety check. - RattleandSmoke
I used the free Vauxhall safety check on my Corsa. They found an oil leak, leaking shocks, leaking CV boots and a load of other issues. I knew the shocks were well past their best etc.

Took it to an indie who agreed with all the problems and fixed them for about £120 I seem to remember. He also noticed a ball joint which had gone which VX had not spotted.

To be fair on the VX dealer it was free and I was in no obligation to have the work done there.

I ended up buying my Fiat Panda from the same chain though!

They did test the coolent as well and found it to be weak, I did get that replaced but it was too late, the HG went three months later.

"Free" safety check. - DP
It stands to reason that a "free" check is going to be all about generating new business. It would be commercial suicide to offer it otherwise.

It's just a shame that a minority of unscrupulous garages invent work, leading to natural scepticism of the many genuine ones who find real, tangible faults that need rectification.

The car repair trade's reputation does it no favours.
Latest Forum Posts