Motoring Discussion > Oil or grease? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

Oil or grease? - Old Navy
I have always used engine oil on my cars door hinges, it has just come back from a service with white aerosol grease on them.

Which is best?
 Oil or grease? - MD
I'll ask my Man.
 Oil or grease? - Zero
Mines got white grease on it as well.
 Oil or grease? - Old Navy
Not of earth moving importance, its just that I am not used to having my cars serviced by "professionals" and I have used oil for a lifetime, certainly before aerosol grease was invented.
 Oil or grease? - Skoda
Skoosh it with brake cleaner and wipe it off, oil goes on neatly instead of splattering all over the door pillars.

The grease clings and picks up dirt, in 2 weeks it'll be eye catching manky :-(
 Oil or grease? - Zero
a year down the road, my white grease is still white, and not manky.
 Oil or grease? - corax
I always use oil as well. White grease is probably OK, but I use oil because I know it seeps into every part of the hinges moving parts. Lasts a long time too. It doesn't seem to happen as much now but I remember some peoples car doors in the 80's groaning as they opened stiffly due to lack of lube. Made me shudder. I don't hear of dropped door hinges now either.
 Oil or grease? - Lygonos
>> I don't hear of dropped door hinges now either.

Aye, the white grease put in at manufacture lasts for years even if not reapplied.

Unless you wash it out with repeated applications of light oil.
 Oil or grease? - bathtub tom
Let's get real. What's the yoof, given the task of doing the other service items they don't trust him with, going to do?

1. Carefully apply some oil to the door hinges, not so much that it dribbles and needs cleaning off?

2. Give a quick squirt of an aerosol of white grease in the rough direction of the door hinges? This has the added advantage of showing the paying customer the hinges have been lubricated by the presence of over-spray.
 Oil or grease? - -
White grease looks the part as Tom says, doubt any of it got inside the hinge but the customer's happy.

I usually use aerosol grease/chain lube with that handy little flexible pipe to get right into the moving parts, works a treat.

Engine oil is too thin and will wash out quickly, if you prefer oil try gear oil, found it took weeks to wash off transporter deck screw lifters where engine oil needed reapplying daily in wet weather.
 Oil or grease? - Ted
Being a slack sort of chap, I don't really bother about the hinges on the moderns.
On the old car the hinges are outside and do get the weather. I generally give the cups, pins and balls a squirt of engine oil if they look dry. I wipe all the excess off and don't use grease....I can't risk SWM's coat brushing it.

Ted
 Oil or grease? - Bigtee
Grease our hinges including the garden shed so they don't corrode and snap off just when you don't want them to.!

At work all external hinges on Trains have grease applied for same reason, However muck sticks to it so it's washed off and applied on next service.

Locks all at home get some fully synthetic engine oil just to keep them all free a little squirt does wonders.
 Oil or grease? - Iffy
Grease/oil + dirt = grinding paste.

A slow running chain on a hay baler we had at the farm was run dry for that reason.

Oiling or greasing car door hinges more than once every few years is overkill, yet garages do it because the customer can see something has been done to the car.

I've used both grease and oil in the past, makes no difference.
Latest Forum Posts