Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 11

2010 best sellers down here... - Auntie Lockbrakes
... Very different to the UK! Shows what dull mediocrity we have on NZ roads:
1) Toyota Corolla - 4890 new sales in 2010
2) Suzuki Swift - 2724
3) Holden Commodore - 2564
4) Ford Falcon - 2407
5) Mazda 3 - 2231

Pretty sure around 1000 Corollas are sold to the rental car fleets, as are some of the Falcons.

Toyota are also the leader in used import sales (primarily from Japan) with 27% of the market in 2010.

Oh for the variety of the UK...!
 2010 best sellers down here... - Zero
At least you get the Ford falcon down there.

www.ford.co.nz/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248888816431&pagename=FNZ%2Fcontroller&site=FNZ
 2010 best sellers down here... - RattleandSmoke
Is the Falcon based on a Mondeo or is a typical down under affair with a powerful engine but crude chassis?
Pretty much the latter Rattolo, although some might say that "crude" is a bit mean. 4-litre V6 is the major attraction. Aussie built, at low-ish labour rates, so much more car for the money than a Euro-import Mondeo...
 2010 best sellers down here... - WillDeBeest
I love that you can have your Falcon as an XR6. I've checked the spec list but can't tell: does it come with a tub of hair gel and a pair of white socks?
 2010 best sellers down here... - Bigtee
4.0 v6 imagine taking that to Asda to fill it up................

How much is fuel in NZ compared to rip off Britain?
 2010 best sellers down here... - Old Navy
>> 4.0 v6 imagine taking that to Asda to fill it up................
>>
>> How much is fuel in NZ compared to rip off Britain?
>>

The last time I was in Australia I was lent an older model Falcon for the visit with a straight 6, 4.0 engine and an auto box. It cost a lot less in fuel than my 2.0 TDCI Focus did, the fuel was about half the UK cost. The exchange rate was way in my favour too, not so now. :-(
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 09:48
A quick google shows a litre of petrol in NZ is about 2 NZD, or about £1. Not so much lower than ours. Consider also that incomes there are lower, and consumer goods more expensive (example: a Canon Ixus 105 that you can buy here for £100 is more like £150 in NZ) and where's the rip-off?
 2010 best sellers down here... - Zero
food is cheaper, housing is cheaper,

Its swings and roundabouts, I dont see millions of Kiwis coming here for a lifestyle improvement.
I know several who've done just that, Z. They can earn much more here, and that's enough to compensate for the higher cost of living.

In any case, fuel prices here really aren't the issue; it's housing costs that eat our income, and we the public have collectively brought that problem on ourselves.
Yep, petrol costs here have crept inexorably up to NZ$2/litre or as near as dammit a quid. Incomes here are lower than the UK, but so are income tax and VAT. I think many kiwis are happy running a 2 litre-or-upwards car because they don't do that many miles each year anyway!

Kiwis go abroad for career/job prospects, and too see the world because it's a long way away from here!

Never mind the XR6 - take a squint at the FPV versions: www.fpv.com.au !
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 19:36
 2010 best sellers down here... - Routemaster
Surprised not to see the Ford Focus in the top 5, I recall when we were in NZ this time last year all the (new) hire cars were Focus's and/or Camry's (awful car).

I found the NZ car scene interesting - firstly for the number of Japanese/European current and old models, but the number of cars that you wouldnt now normally see in the UK like Mark 3 Cortinas etc.

RM
Latest Forum Posts