Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist Buying / Selling
Thread Author: apm Replies: 10

Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - apm
Hi all,

Following on from a recent discussion about replacing out S60, we have narrowed the candidates. We have decided that what we really need is a bigger car (an estate with more rear seat room).

We have up to £12.5- 13k, so have shortlisted the new shape V70 and the W211 E class. We are limiting our E-class search to the post facelift (summer 06) car (to avoid the earlier quality control issues); both can be had for our budget from Car Giant.

Specifically, there is a 56 plate E220 Elegance with 80k up for £11800 ish. Higher mileage than I'd like, and lower spec, but a good price. Competing there is a 57 plate V70 2.4D on SE spec with lower mileage. So the question is, the merc being more expensive is it worth it? Second, what are the issues with Car Giant? I'm expecting to need to have the car valeted and serviced, and we won't be trading in, so anything else I should be aware of? I assume there is no point haggling? We're planning to look at/ test both cars this weekend.

One more thing- our S60 was valued by WBAC.com at £8300; this week they've upped that out of the blue to £9400. That's a cracking deal I reckon. Any warnings from those that have used them? I did the valuation on my iphone so didn't declare the kerbed alloys, the 5p sized dent on the wing and the scuffed bumper. Am I better off getting scuffsaway guys in to sort those, or swallow the reduction from WBAC?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - Netsur
Part of me says that the newer diesel Volvo is the way to go, but I have looked at the Car Giant website and I just love those Mercs. I would be tempted by the more expensive model with the rear seats as well.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - Zero

>> be trading in, so anything else I should be aware of?

Spare keys (lack of) and no handbooks/history seems to be a recurring theme with them.

I assume there is
>> no point haggling?

No

>> that out of the blue to £9400. That's a cracking deal I reckon. Any warnings
>> from those that have used them?

You will need to let us know, dont know anyone who has used them.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - PeterS
Pedant mode on: I think the estate 'E' class is technically an S211 ;-)

Can't comment on the V70, as I only have experience of the older ones, but the E class estate is a great car. It's a few years ago now, but I had an '04 one (E27CDI Avantgarde) and I thought it was a very well thought through estate,

I believe the later 220s had a similar amount of power to the earlier 270CDI, which was more than adequate, and Elegance trim is not that basic I don't think. Most will have leather, and metallic paint was standard in elegance/avantgarde trim IIRC.

I'd expect WBAC to chip you down a chunk for the scuffed alloys and the dent, but I can't see it being worth paying (or going through the hassle...) of sorting them your self.

HTH

Peter
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - Iffy
When I asked for an online quote, WBAC upped the price a week or two later, as they did with the OP.

Looks like it's not worth accepting the first offer, unless you are in a rush.

Those E-class estates look the part in my view, nice to ride in, too.

Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - Boxsterboy
Yes, it is an S211. The suspension bushes on these cars sometimes get shot, and the other thing to check is the combined rad for the engine/ATF fluid (I assume it is an auto). If the rad is made by Valeo, get it swapped for a Behr rad. Not expensive, and certainly cheaper than a new gearbox if the Valeo rad fails (which they have been known to do).

Nice cars, very comfy and refined. Otherwise check for body repairs, paperwork, keys, etc. from CG. (although extra keys are easily obtainable).

Most Merc dealers discount labour and parts when servicing cars over 3 years old.
Thanks for your replies all.

We will obviously look at both, but the Merc seems to be on top at the moment. Sadly, that particular example at CG has sold, but now we know what we want, we can await a suitable contender.

Out of interest, the valuation for our S60 was wrong- I'd mis-entered the mileage as 4300 not 4300. Makes £2k difference! May well still go the WBAC route, as saves grief and I assume that CG won't take a trade in.

Cheers,

Alex.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - Duncan
>> I'd mis-entered the mileage as>> 4300 not 4300. Makes £2k difference! >>

Que?
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - PeteW
re: WBAC.

-£50 per scuffed wheel/small dent. -£100 if worse than might be expected.

It's worth redoing the quote with an accurate appraisal (in your eyes) and getting a price again if you are seriously considering this option.

When I used them they honoured the quoted price since I had been honest in my assessment of condition. I suspect that many of the complaints about knocking down the price when you turn up are more because of not doing this and/or trying to get rid of a car that nobody wants.

I found the process pretty painless, although you do have a slight 'crossed fingers' moment when you realise that the money will take 2/3 days at the earliest to be paid out to you via BACS etc
4300 instead of 43000. D'oh!
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Shortlist - Bill Payer
>> Yes, it is an S211. The suspension bushes on these cars sometimes get shot, and
>> the other thing to check is the combined rad for the engine/ATF fluid (I assume
>> it is an auto). If the rad is made by Valeo, get it swapped for
>> a Behr rad. Not expensive, and certainly cheaper than a new gearbox if the Valeo
>> rad fails (which they have been known to do).
>>
That's a 2003, 2004 at the latest if the car has been hanging around, issue.
Latest Forum Posts