Motoring Discussion > bangernomics. Just bought a car. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 92

bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Zero
Many of you probably dont know this, but I actually dabble in bangernomics.

On behalf of my son really.

The last one was a 1994 1.6 Vauxhall Cavalier, bought 13 months ago for £400. Its racked up 35k miles but the gearbox has gone (something shot out with some fervour and punched a hole through the casing) It needed new tyres for the MOT so its not worth fixing. It will fetch 100 quid weighed in as scrap so its cost 300 quid for its tenure.

Just bought a 2000 Nissan Primera 1.6 SLX hatch for 500 quid. Its got 80k up but a nearly complete full service history. Body is a bit worn (been keyed, and the odd dent here and there) but it feels tight, it holds its fluids well, and the ABS does not come up with a fail.

MOT due in April, but it feels and looks like it should sail through that.

I think my bangernomics history stacks up well against Stu's (my 400 quid and one car against his three) and I reckon the primera will outlive his current shed!
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Iffy
...and I reckon the primera will outlive his current shed!...

And it won't get blown over in a draught. :)

bangernomics. Just bought a car. - RattleandSmoke
At least now your Lancer won't be the subject of a battle between Old Navy's Kia Cee'd. It will be a battle between his Suzuki and your Nissan :).

More entertainment for us.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Runfer D'Hills
Gosh, in Surrey? Isn't that sort of thing illegal there or will they just think he's a quaint eccentric like his father?
And he's been shopping in Lidl.

bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Old Navy
Reputed to be tough cars, has it been a minicab?

I know it won't have been IF the miles are genuine.
The service history backs up the mileage. And the stamps look genuine
Stuff the paperwork thats easily fixed as is the mileage, whats the condition of the car like, polished steering wheel, gearstick, pedals, seat condition etc.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 19:35
it feels and looks like 80k
Should be good for another 100K then.

I missed the edit, I was going to say that the interior of my cars is almost like new at 80K.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 19:38
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Number_Cruncher
(something shot out with some fervour and punched a hole through the casing)

It's usually the shaft in the differential which holds the planet gears which lets go. The damage it does to the casing usually means the gearbox needs replacing as a unit.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Netsur
Those Primera's were pretty solid cars. Should last a fair time.

What does your son do that he drove 35,000 miles in such a short time in such an old car?
he has a 45 mile a day commute, and a 40 mile return journey to his GF.
...he has a 45 mile a day commute...

In Surrey/Greater London?

Wouldn't fancy that even if I could afford to do it in a Bentley.

>> ...he has a 45 mile a day commute...
>>
Can't be south from Surrey, or he would be in the water.

Edit:- Sorry thats only 22.5 miles, just down the road in the real world. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 19:55
...Can't be south from Surrey, or he would be in the water...

Croydon to Brighton is more or less due south and is 45 miles, according to Google maps.

>> ...Can't be south from Surrey, or he would be in the water...
>>
>> Croydon to Brighton is more or less due south and is 45 miles, according to
>> Google maps.

22 miles each way not 45.
...22 miles each way not 45...

Half as bad is still bad. :)

>> >> ...Can't be south from Surrey, or he would be in the water...
>> >>
>> >> Croydon to Brighton is more or less due south and is 45 miles, according
>> to
>> >> Google maps.
>>
>> 22 miles each way not 45.
>>
>> Prove it>>

I am sure it says Croydon in the second line, as in, "Croydon to Brighton".
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 20:18
Indeed it does, but *I* didnt say it.
Sorry Z, got the posts confused, (I am old after all).

I take it you are further south in the stockbroker belt, as you don't want to be associated with Croydon. :-)
Further west actually
Tooting, Balham, or really posh, Wimbledon. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 20:25
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - -
Somewhere in the Reigate, Epsom, Cobham, Guildford square, ideal area for picking up impatient stranded rail passengers who don't notice the out of date private hire licence...Primula will do when it's broke down, chirpy cockney chatt to keep 'em occupied eh squire?
I don't need google for that area, I spent the early years of my life within a stones throw of Croydon.
... I spent the early years of my life within a stones throw of Croydon...

There seemed to be a lot of Japanese bankers living in Croydon when I was living in south London in the 1980s.

who the hell mentioned croydon!
You did.
where? prove it?
>> Wouldn't fancy that even if I could afford to do it in a Bentley.
>>
>>
Good reason to live and keep well clear of the area.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Stuu
>>and I reckon the primera will outlive his current shed!<<

How much you wanna bet on that?
with your track record? yeah.
OK, how are we measuring success - time kept before sale or length of time before car expires?
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - R.P.
Expiry of the car by catastrophic failure a sale negates the wager !
has to be sale. You wont know if it expires outside the tenure.

Oh and expenditure in keeping it running. (not tyres, oil or servicing)
We'll start a thread to log the expenses then !
Ah, expanding it are we.

So what are we calling servicing and what are we calling repairs?

So far, outside of servicing, mines cost £120 for the welding and exhaust repair. More to come of course :-)

Im allowing £1k for the main dealer repair so no chance of a win on that front, but I might keep it a while, so shall we work it on the basis of £££ per month?
Last edited by: stunorthants29 on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 20:03
I think sucess of a banger has to be calculated how much it costs to run over x amount of time. So if you're banger lasts three months but cost £100 to buy with no repairs and you sell it for say £50 that is huge sucess.

If the car lasts for three years but costs £2500 in repairs and cost £1000 to buy it is not a sucess.
Is there any allowance for mileage, either way?

Zeddo, or his lad, goes around the world in 18 months, but I get the impression Stu would take years to rock up that distance.

Im doing about 10k a year atm.
Lets not complicate it.

Ok, first to expire or be sold it is then.
...Lets not complicate it...

Very fair, my money's still on the Datsun.

bangernomics. Just bought a car. - PeterS
Athough that's still be less than £100 per month, so cheap motoring :-)
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Dog
Good jamjars - I had the previous model, a 2ltr auto, have oned a 1.8 Almera for 4 years without probs,

4 years is a loooong time with me & cars!
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Fenlander
>>>Im allowing £1k for the main dealer repair

Are you really serious... on a car that's rusting??
Its not. Rust gone.
>> Its not. Rust gone.
>>

But not forgotten ;=)

Does rust really ever go...?
If you cut it out, put shiny stuff in and underseal it, for the life of the car, yes, only rusty in one place.
Fair enough!
I'll start a new thread then - if both contestants enter in their initial costs we'll take it from there !
OK I'll try again... spend £1000 on an engine fault on a £500 bangernomics car??

If that sort of dosh is easy to come by get shot of the Suzuki as-is and buy a £1500 car instead!
Potentially buying the same again. Ive done it before, my lucks not in this year.

I am budgeting that amount, fingers crossed its much less.
TBH, I was suprised by the variety of wagons on offer through the various sources.

I was tempted by a 2001 Vectra with 200k up, for 350 quid! But it went before I could get near it.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - -
Z, would you have gone for that Proton in the other thread if you'd known about it.
At that price? Yup.
...At that price? Yup...

Both cars are correctly priced, in my view.

The Primera is a well-engineered, sturdy car which as a banger is worth more than the Proton, which is not so well made or engineered.

>>> Potentially buying the same again. Ive done it before, my lucks not in this year. I am budgeting that amount, fingers crossed its much less.

Yes I hope it works out for you Stu but which ever way you look at it taking a £500 car to the main dealers and saying you've a £1k budget is very... err... brave?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 20:39
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 20:41
Sorry Zero.... post arrived out of order so had to edit to make it clear it was Stu pulling in the worldwide resources of Suzuki for this challenge.
Sok, I censored my reply.
You really have to know when to give up. I spent £1100 on the Corsa, I some how managed to then spent £1000 on repairs, some of them were needed (MAF, pads, exhaust, boots, shocks, springs) but others such as the tyres could have waited. Anyhow I thought that is the end of it and the head gasket went. I could have spent £600+ on skimming, new chain, new HG etc but decided to cut my losses and sold it for £250.

A good friend of mine spent £1000 repairing his 206 GTI this year, he got all the belts renewed new brakes, tyres the lot thinking £1k is a lot to spend on a 10 year old car. On News Day I get a call to say he is stranded and his car won't start and his loosing coolent.

I found some jump leads, took my multimeter and checked the altnerator was working all fine, so jumped the car and is started. I then put some coolent mixed with warm water in but we both knew it was a pointless exercise. So the next day he had no choice to spend £70 on a new battery just to get to work knowing the head gasket is shot. He is still using it but is constantly having to top it up with coolent and oil. Even though he spent £1k on repairs last year is not going to get the head gasket fixed he is breaking it for spares.

Well, the theory is that they know the cars better so will be more effective at finding the fault. The have all the kit so it may show a fault code etc, could be quick fix, never know.
In truth, there are quite a few Wagon Rs at £1300-1500 anyway, so its not beyond good value just yet.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201052376019581/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/model/wagon_r/make/suzuki/quicksearch/true/radius/1500/postcode/nn142xa/page/5?logcode=p
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Bellboy
£1695 for a 13 year old suzuki
is the seller on something stronger than wurthers originals?
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - DP
A friend of mine has been practising bangernomics since any of us can remember. Buys old, unfashionable, unstressed naturally aspirated diesel stuff and simply runs it til it drastically fails an MOT or springs a bill bigger than a hundred quid or so.

Doesn't bother with servicing. Insures third party only. First whiff of recurring or remotely expensive problems, and it goes to the knackers yard. Ignores minor / non safety critical faults completely. The guy simply doesn't care about his cars at all. As long as they get him to work and back, they do what they're supposed to. And they are easily, instantly replaceable when the time comes.

He reckons, and I believe him, that he's spent less than a grand on cars in the last 10 years of motoring.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - AshT
Not bad cars the Primeras - I had one for a while, the n/a diesel. Very slow, not especially comfortable but the engine gave the impression it'd go on forever.

I didn't have a major problem - all I can recall replacing apart from tyres was the mid section of the exhaust and the fan switch.

As I recall it was close to 300k when the cambelt went - cost me £500 and I had 18 months use from it.
And 100 days off work buying and selling the things no doubt :).
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Suppose
>> On behalf of my son really.
>>

Slight thread drift, but I just wanted to say congratulations to Zero and Nicole for their parenting skills. Your boy has got his head screwed on perfectly well. He has avoided all the pitfalls of wasted years and expense of "going to Uni", and he has no qualms about driving around in Cavaliers or Primeras, unlike his peer group who will be running around in go-fast striped chav cars. Seems like he has a good job and a strong work ethic. I think your boy will go far and make a real success of his life. Zero and Nicole, I say sincerely to you both: truly well done and you have every right to be mighty proud of your achievement.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Mapmaker
>>He has avoided all the pitfalls of wasted years and expense of "going to Uni",

Be interesting to see what happens on that front - the Big Four accountants have gone back to taking people at 18 - turning the clock back twenty-five years.

careers.deloitte.com/united-kingdom/students/students_undergraduates.aspx?CountryContentID=16628

In my case it was probably a waste of time, in my sisters case going to university has more than paid off for her, she earns £30k a year but then her job isn't really secure as its in the public sector.

She handles her money far worse than I do though, she dosn't have a car and is skint as I am!
...the Big Four accountants have gone back to taking people at 18...

KPMG are paying the fees for their chosen school leavers to go to Durham University:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12181643
The problem is I still see it as elitist, I don't know the statistics but I would guess a lot of them came from a public school. It used to be a keen topic of mine but lost interest when I resigned from the old student site I used to moderate.

What we did know that the fast majority of the rich and sucessful kids on it all went to public school. My sister went to a grammar school which was some where inbetween. I went to a rough and awful comprehensive school and did well considering the bad situation.

I have nothing against such schemes as longs as they look furthetr than Eaton.

My biggest regret at 16 is I didn't a possible job offer at a computer design company I did work experience for. It was a small company but Sun ended up buying them but I might have done well out of that.

I think this is a bit of a thread drift.....

However between 16-17 I just couldn't get a job, I worked in a computer factory for a breif while but it wasn't for me. I just kept thinking too much. I went to college not intending to go to university, it was never a plan of mine. I just drifted into it.
[quote]Whinge whinge whinge whinge.

I'm a lazy git who drinks too much and cannot be bothered to hold down a proper job and have decided to drift through life. Therefore I'm going to blame:

1. My school
2. Rich kids
3. Successful kids.

But it's never my fault.

I cannot even manage to spell Eton correctly.[/quote]

I'm not convinced the KPMG scheme has got anything to do with Durham, because that would mean they had to have some way of getting their chosen people into Durham... maybe they do these days, but I'd be a little surprised.

And no, I can assure you that the vast majority of Big Four employees are not Public School educated. They're mostly rather dull suburban types from ordinary backgrounds but with a desire to succeed in life rather than to blame everybody else for their lack of success.
If that is the case then I apologise. I don't know where this idea I can't hold down a proper job comes from. I've had lots of jobs and what I do is now is a proper job and have done it for five years.

Anyway this thread needs to get back on topic. Sorry mods.
I don't know where this idea I can't hold down a proper job comes from.

Nor me - people adding two and two together and coming up with an odd number. Reading between the lines etc etc..

I was getting deja vu in thread as well !
Can anybody reconcile this statement:

>> If that is the case then I apologise. I don't know where this idea I
>> can't hold down a proper job comes from.

With this one:

>> I've had lots of jobs and what

Anyway, the problem is that your idea of a proper job and your idea of a proper job are not the same.

>> I do is now is a proper job and have done it for five years.

Yet.... it pays a pittance and you want more - so it's not really a proper job, is it.
...I'm not convinced the KPMG scheme has got anything to do with Durham...

Just out of (limited) interest, KPMG and Durham University are in bed together on this one.

More details of the 'innovative initiative' here:

www.dur.ac.uk/news/newsitem/?itemno=11361
Very interesting, iffy, it did help!
...very interesting, iffy, it did help!...

Pleased to hear it, although it might be a bit dry for the general reader.

Durham Uni press releases are nothing if not comprehensive.

Must be all those 40,000 word dissertations they are used to reading.

bangernomics. Just bought a car. - paulb
>> And no, I can assure you that the vast majority of Big Four employees are
>> not Public School educated. They're mostly rather dull suburban types from ordinary backgrounds but with
>> a desire to succeed in life rather than to blame everybody else for their lack
>> of success.
>>

Having worked for Big 4 for the last 8 years I can second this. Any former public school pupil looking to get on our grad scheme who thinks that the name of their establishment has any bearing whatsoever on their life chances is gravely mistaken. The criteria for selection boil down to a) academic ability, as evidenced by impeccable grades in exacting subjects, and b) achievement in other areas such as sport, music etc.

And is it elitist? Of course it is. It's meant to be. Inevitably, some people fall by the wayside, in some cases (sadly) because they think they can busk their ACA/ACCA exams and come a cropper, in others because this wasn't the right choice for them (the environment is not everyone's cup of tea by a long chalk). But by and large we get extremely bright, able, motivated people and we don't give a stuff where they come from.

It often amuses me that I wouldn't qualify for my own firm's grad scheme - the joys of being an "experienced hire"...
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - sooty123
paulb, what is the environment like in the big4?
>> paulb, what is the environment like in the big4?
>>

High-pressure and very competitive without being overt about it, is the best way to describe it - certainly in my place; can't speak for the others.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Lygonos
>> High-pressure and very competitive without being overt about it, is the best way to describe it - certainly in my place; can't speak for the others. <<

Put through Babelfish this translates to:

"The guys will stab you in the back while smiling and friendly to your face, and the girls will stab you in the back while wearing skirts up to their armpits."
Lygonos, clearly you've worked in my office..............
...Lygonos, clearly you've worked in my office...

I've not, but I'd like to pay you a visit.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Suppose
Rattle - when will you learn and take charge of your own life, and give up your blame everyone else but you game. You keep hijacking threads at any opportunity to wallow in your self-pity. And stop bringing your sister in to the equation.

Who knows, one day soon you will be blaming Pugugly for being too protective of you. He should be joining BiggerBadderDave and Martin Devon to tell you "Oh Rattle I so want to smack you with a shovel.".

Last edited by: Suppose on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 19:16
Well hauling this back to the original subject, we have the Primera back home.

Its a sweet drive, and suprisingly everything electrical works, the mirrors, the windows, the radio, etc etc. Even the aircon is fully functional.

Laddo is well pleased. All i have to do is make sure he pays me back. We tend to forget payments when they are due.
Have you checked it at 47.2mph to make sure there is no unusual vibrations?

Sorry Stu, you know I don't mean any harm.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Runfer D'Hills
Not beige is it?
No its metalic green.

And no, there are no rattles, all the way up to 70mph anyway.
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Skoda

>> all the way up to 70mph anyway.

I'm sure your lad will fill in the gaps in your testing before bedtime tonight :-)
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Bellboy
its the ford that ford stopped making
real shame
 bangernomics. Just bought a car. - Auntie Lockbrakes
The Primera won't let you down. Fine cars, loads of 12-15 year old ones on the roads in NZ, used imports from Japan. Mostly 1.8s and 2-litres. Very little visible rust on 'em.

The rear shocks went at 70k miles and 11-odd years on the Mother-in-law's Primera, but she drives on loads of bumpy unsealed roads. Not pricey for 2 new ones either.

Your new Primera would probably fetch around 2500 pounds out here!
Latest Forum Posts