Motoring Discussion > Fill her up my man Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 25

Fill her up my man - Iffy
A driver paid £192 to fill his Bugatti Veyron at 'Britain's most expensive petrol station'.

Luckily, a press photographer just happened to be there as he did it:

tinyurl.com/6cwftao
 Fill her up my man - swiss tony
£192 just to get to the next fuel station......... Madness!
 Fill her up my man - tyro
How strange to find that Britain's most expensive petrol station is nowhere near me.

I also note, with interest that the Mail says

"However, Treasury Chief Secretary Danny Alexander . . . did reveal, however, that the Treasury was pushing ahead with a pilot scheme to offer discounted fuel to rural communities in the Scottish Highlands, which could extend to his own constituency of Inverness."

That will be very popular around these parts.

Fill her up my man - Tooslow
"which could extend to his own constituency"

Isn't it called "bribing people with their own money"? Would he be trying to improve his chances of being re-elected by any chance? Still, since he does appear to have a brain it's a small price to pay. Along with all of the other subsidies we pay to Scotland. (cat / pigeons!).

John
 Fill her up my man - Bromptonaut
>> which could extend to his own constituency of Inverness."

There is a suggestion that fuel duty could be eased in the Scottish Islands ie the Western & Northern Isles. I was last on Lewis in May last year. Even in Stornoway diesel was 10p/l more than at home. A reduction might apply in the Scillies as well and in places such as Lochinver or Scrabster well beyond the Highland cpaital.

Any suggestion that it should apply in urban Inverness is, I suspect, Mail mischief making.
 Fill her up my man - L'escargot
>> £192 just to get to the next fuel station......... Madness!
>>

I've no doubt it's in proportion to his income. If you've got it, flaunt it.
 Fill her up my man - Kevin
He must have left the engine running while he filled up - the tank in mine only holds 100 litres.
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 20:35
 Fill her up my man - Suppose
>> A driver paid £192 to fill his Bugatti Veyron at 'Britain's most expensive petrol station'.
>>
>> Luckily, a press photographer just happened to be there as he did it:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/6cwftao
>>

No he didn't. Read the caption under the photo. It is conjecture by the fib writer.
"Thirsty: The owner of the Bugatti Veyron filled up at a petrol station in Chelsea, a visit that would have cost him £192"
 Fill her up my man - Bellboy
i nearly bought the daily wail yesterday
for its dvd
i resisted
 Fill her up my man - R.P.
You are me bellboy - I really wanted that DVD - I just couldn't bring myself to do it......there's always er....eBay...
 Fill her up my man - Zero
what was the Dvd? What have I missed?
The original Upstairs Downstairs - yes, yes I know....:-)
 Fill her up my man - AnotherJohnH
If you need the original upstairs downstairs it is next on ITV3 on 22/1/2011 (Saturday).

Two episodes back to back, 08:35 then 09:40

If that's too early for you, ITV3+1 follows.
 Fill her up my man - Tooslow
And it's not difficult to transfer from a Hummy to pc to DVD, so long as you have the model with a printer type USB connector.
John
...no he didn't...

The text of the story reads: "He clocked up a bill of £192 before driving off in the supercar."

Perhaps he bought lots of crisps, chocolate, and the £2.99 hat and gloves set.

nosy pointless reporting
 Fill her up my man - rtj70
Especially as to fill a Veyron up from empty in most places does not cost £192. It would be impossible. I assume that if the tank had only say 10 litres left, then the £192 works out at £2.13 a litre.
...nosy pointless reporting...

For you perhaps, but there will be plenty of interest in the story, and the Mail has combined it with the latest political stuff about fuel prices.

I bet everyone is wondering who owns the car and where he got the money from to buy it.
Reading a book about wartime Berlin at the moment, your comment has some resonance.
 Fill her up my man - Robin O'Reliant
How many Green Shield Stamps would he have got for that, back in the day?
 Fill her up my man - Dave_
The article also mentions that the Veyron "can consume up to a litre every two miles". Just guessing here, but I reckon the writer has half-remembered a quote from when TG put James May in the Veyron Super Sport (which is a different car) - It was noted that at top speed it would be doing about 2 miles to the gallon.

I would have thought that "a litre every two miles", or 9mpg, was about right for a Veyron in central London.
 Fill her up my man - Kevin
>How many Green Shield Stamps would he have got for that, back in the day?

I can't remember the original Green Shield Stamps but I did set up the IT system when they had a brief revival in the mid 80's.

The original owner had called his old management team and told them he was starting the business again. Quite a few of them came back (some out of retirement) and leased an office in Sutton for their new HQ.

The old guy was a big James Bond fan and they chipped together and bought him the "OO 7" numberplate.

I can remember seeing him arrive at the office one day in his white chauffeur driven Rolls. His chauffeur was a very, very attractive young lady in her twenties dressed in something I imagine BBD could have designed.

Some years later I learned that his grandson was dating Elle Macpherson.
 Fill her up my man - Alanovich
>> I bet everyone is wondering who owns the car and where he got the money
>> from to buy it.

Well I, really, seriously, couldn't care less. It's absolutely none of my business. The thought didnt even cross my mind until you mentioned it.

I wouldn't line a budgie's cage with the Daily Wail.
...I wouldn't line a budgie's cage with the Daily Mail...

Don't be so cruel, the budgie might want to read a decent newspaper even if you don't.

Poor little creature's not got much else to do.
 Fill her up my man - Focusless
>> The text of the story reads: "He clocked up a bill of £192 before driving
>> off in the supercar."

It also says in the caption beneath the photo "a visit that would have cost him £192". I think they've just multiplied the tank capacity by the petrol price and don't know how much he actually paid.
 Fill her up my man - Cliff Pope
Don't forget the £10's worth in the can for the lawnmower.
Latest Forum Posts