Motoring Discussion > Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 18

Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - Falkirk Bairn
www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/224416/Boy-of-8-is-killed-by-garage-workers-on-Porsche-joyride-

No words can express how the parents and the family must feel.
 Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - Iffy
The owner of the Porsche will be pretty hacked off as well.

I'm not being entirely flippant about that, I would be annoyed my car had been mis-used but also distressed by the result of the mis-use.

Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - Old Navy
I wonder how many cars get a "road test" while in garage custody. One of my cars was sideswiped by an army Landrover on an unofficial "road test" while it was in garage hands but parked outside on the road, unfortunately a mechanic was unlocking the door and was also hit. He suffered a lot more damage than my car.
 Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - tyro
A horrific story.

If it turns out that it was a Kwik-Fit employee at the wheel when the accident occurred, and the case gets sufficient publicity, it is just possible that it could result in garages cracking down on their employees "joy-riding" in customers' cars.
 Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - BiggerBadderDave
The mother says in a statement: We never got to tell you how much we loved you.

What an odd thing to say even if it were true. I wonder what kept them so preoccupied over the last eight years that they never found ten seconds at the end of a day to say the magic words.
 Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - Iffy
...never found ten seconds at the end of a day to say the magic words...

She may have meant they were denied the chance because the child was killed instantly and therefore did not spend any time in hospital with the family at the bedside.
 Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - WillDeBeest
Hardly fair to analyse the mother's words; I doubt I'd be able to say anything coherent in her situation.

The article mentions a crossing, and this highlights a point of general concern. Councils are not good at being pro-active in putting in crossings to prevent accidents. There's a hazardous stretch my children have to cross on the way to school: 30mph but traffic heading out of town takes it as the point to pick up speed. But for this, our children could walk to school unaccompanied but as it is Mrs Beest won't let them.
Parents have written to the council to point out the problem. The answer has been that there have been no injuries and so no crossing is necessary. Perhaps we're imagining the hazard.
 Porsche - Boy killed in car accident - 2 arrested - -
[[[The answer has been that there have been no injuries and so no crossing is necessary. ]]]

That's the thing that bugs me about jobsworths, is it too much to expect someone with clout to spend a few hours looking at the situation with one or two concerned parents...not mob handed all dolled up in high viz carp, that would slow every passing vehicle to a crawl.

Try getting some media publicity if you haven't already, once there's something published that the (named) apparatchiks have been warned and refused, then they become morally at least responsible should it (God forbid) happen, they don't like taking the can so might just get something done...nothing to lose.
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - henry k

Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed for boy's crash death

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17443608
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - MD
Thanks for the update Henry. He should have been run over too let alone jailed. He'll do 2 years at best then paroled. Have you ever met an employee of these places with any more than 1/2 a brain. I wouldn't leave my van there let alone a Porsche. tch.
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17453541
Video report.
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - Ted

The people I work for have an account with KwikFit/Halfords for tyres/servicing and MOTs.

I don't trust them. Every time I've taken a puncture in it's 'You need a new tyre, sir ' Some I could have fixed myself ! They never have a replacement in stock, it's always ' manyana ' meaning loss of revenue on the car. They do our MOTs at £35 but the cars are in for their first one and we don't expect any problems there.

To get the business, they've offered a price of £40 for a full service on a new Fiesta. I've told the firm what they will be getting for that.....nowt.... and am having them done by my local indy who I've known over 30 years...at £90. I trust him and I know what he does.
A long time local mobile tyre man sorts the wheels out for me now at competetive costs.....If they don't like it, they can sack me !

KwikFit don'r have a coffee machine, either !

Ted
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - RattleandSmoke
We used Event tyres on the i10 yesterday, of course they replaced the tyre but that is what I ordered, at £58 including fitting etc. The tyre is exact replacement, Kumho something but its identical the original.

The tyre persons showed me the side wall said while punctures can be repaired if its been driven on flat its not a good idea as it weakens the side wall.

Edit I was replying to Ted's post and it might be a bit out of context with the thread. An awful story :(

And yes I don't use the fast fits for anything, I don't even trust my main dealers but at least for the rest of the year I have no choice. Thankfully touch wood it is only a once a year visit.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 20 Mar 12 at 23:56
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - rtj70
Ted, they might sack you. You're doing the right thing for a private motorist but they don't care about the cars. If they can service them for £40 and get a stamp they are happy enough.. I hope they don't drop you in it or refuse to pay costs etc.

Come resale time will the service stamp from the independent have effected resale costs?

Not wanting to but in - but they're not your cars to worry about. Don't worry about them.
I think Ted is trying to do the right think by them though, thinking using his indie will cost them less in the long term, and he would be right. The problem is as you say these fleet managers don't always see the big picture.

And if Kwikfit don't do the full servicing it will be Mr Smith who has bought the poor old 1 own Fiesta with 3000 drivers behind its wheel with 5 year old coolant in the header tank :(
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - rtj70
Ted is doing the right thing - or trying to. His employer might see it different.

That's all I am saying.
I completely agree with you but hopefully they will know how helpful Ted is and continue with this setup. If they go to the fastfits I bet they soon find the suspension wears out much quicker etc!
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - DP
We are forced to use Kwik Fit for tyres for our company cars, as that's who the lease company have an account with.

Not a company I would let anywhere near a car of my own.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 21 Mar 12 at 10:10
 Porsche - Kwik-Fit Porsche mechanic jailed - Iffy
There's a Kwik Fit in the centre of Durham City which is handy for my work.

They once gave me a couple of exhaust clamps for a non-motoring project at the caravan.

I bought four tyres from them a few years ago, but that's what I went in to do, so there was no upselling.

That branch seemed OK, but I feel no loyalty to Kwik Fit as a company.

My last two tyre purchases were elsewhere.

Latest Forum Posts