Motoring Discussion > Broken again ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 33

Broken again ! - Ted

Duplicate rant alert !

Before Chrimbo, SWMBO couldn't shut the tailgate on the Note. I managed, after 20 or so squeezes of the handle, to get it to catch down. There we left it as it was very cold and the snow wasn't condusive to outside work for me.

Took the catch off this morning and held it to my ear whilst operating the ' boot handle '
it clicked every time. Took it into the workshop and gave the internals a spray with electrical contact cleaner...still no good. This is a replacement I fitted previously.
So, put a couple of tie-wraps in the mounting holes and bungied them through the back seat gap to the underneath of the front seat. Sorted for now.
Off to Nissan in Altrincham...ordered a new lock, £82.12...bums ! Here in a coupla days. 3 minutes to fit.

The hand switch/boot handle operates a small motor in the catch which has a worm drive. This rotates a plastic toothed wheel which operates a lever, which in turn operates the lock/unlock mechanism. All this in an item that gets slammed down all the time.
So, that's 3 locks so far in a car under 4 yrs old. What on earth was wrong with the old method of a steel rod from a proper handle to operate the catch. ?

Never mind fuel costs...it's getting expensive just to open and shut the boot for us !

Rant continuing in private !

Ted
 Broken again ! - Boxsterboy
Doesn't the warranty cover it?
 Broken again ! - RattleandSmoke
I think it is a 56 plate so out of warranty?

This is a common issue on the Pandas too, mine does not have central locking on the boot as it is poverty spec - something less to go wrong.

Mine you it is nice to have a car when the only thing people really moan about is failing boot motors.

I remember the system on the Punto, it had a cable operated boot release - very reliable.
 Broken again ! - nyx2k
i had a 56plate note and the boot drive motor was the final straw for me after los of niggly things and cheap plastic trim. i switcched to citroen and the build quality on my citroens has be great.
 Broken again ! - Bill Payer
>> Doesn't the warranty cover it?
>>
I'd argue that 3 locks in 4 yrs means it's not of satisfactory quality.
 Broken again ! - Dog
You will buy these ere French automobiles Teddy :)
 Broken again ! - madf
Nissan = Renault. = carp
 Broken again ! - Ted
Well, someone's got to, Dogsbody.
Totally opposite to NYK...Chipped in a Citroen C3 for the Note because of the build quality of the C3, Stupid Sensodrive box, broken front spring at 14K and front wings that dented if you walked within a foot of them. Company I do a bit of work for had 24 Citroens on the Manchester fleet....they're not being replaced with the same !

It's an 06 plater, but I think I bought the last switch over a year ago. I'll keep the receipt for this one !

Can't fault the car, otherwise. Proper auto, nice and comfy and 1600cc so quite quick.

Ted
 Broken again ! - Biggles
Each new purchase is entitled to the EU-wide 2 year guarantee.
 Broken again ! - Zero
>> Each new purchase is entitled to the EU-wide 2 year guarantee.

what EU wide 2 years guarantee?
 Broken again ! - Biggles
>what EU wide 2 years guarantee?

europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/protection_of_consumers/l32022_en.htm
 Broken again ! - Zero
He is buying spare parts, not consumer goods.
Plus this has not beeen adopted under UK Law. The Sale of Goods Act is the definitive legal statute.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 08:52
 Broken again ! - Mapmaker
>> He is buying spare parts, not consumer goods.
>> Plus this has not beeen adopted under UK Law. The Sale of Goods Act is
>> the definitive legal statute.

And what does SoGA entitle him to?
 Broken again ! - Dog
>>Well, someone's got to, Dogsbody<<

my 05 Almera 1.8 auto is still going strong (I actually like the car!)
just between ye and me Teddo ... I likes the Juke as well :-D

Did your daughter buy that Almera after all?

The C3 is an arf decent car alright, but knackers to that No-Senso gearbox!
 Broken again ! - Ted
No, didn't do anythying yet 'cos I was poorly sick in bed.
No good looking at cars in the snow either. So, waiting 'til it's a bit warmer.

The Audi's running well atm.....it's only time , though !
Plenty of Almies around to have a look at.

I like the Juke as well, so you're not the only weirdo here !

Ted
 Broken again ! - Bellboy
they dont build stuff like they used to :-)

anyone going to the titanic museum in 02?
i quite fancy it
 Broken again ! - Old Navy
>> anyone going to the titanic museum in 02? >>

You got a time machine BB?
 Broken again ! - Runfer D'Hills
We looked at Jukes for my wife as a possibility. I agree, well I think I agree, it's certainly striking. She could have had one but in the end just didn't like it enough.

Re Nissan durability. I've been mildly disappointed with the trim quality on the Qashqai. It just lets itself down on rattley bits and detaching door handles etc. Doesn't feel as if it'll take the miles and use I'd have expected. Shame. I'd always been led to believe "Jap" cars were well built. ( yes I know it's screwed together by geordies ) My Fords were considerably tougher cookies. My Qashqai is coming up for 60k and it already feels quite lived in.
 Broken again ! - mikeyb
Humph - how long will you run it for?
Not sure really. I'd have liked to get 100k out of it maybe more. Doing about 35k a year at present. It's a company car but the way I get paid is linked to dept. profit and the less I spend the more I earn so...
 Broken again ! - Iffy
...yes I know it's screwed together by geordies...

Mackems, please.

Confusing the two is, I think, the same as mixing up Edinburghers and Weegies.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 21:19
Oh sorry ! ( all sound the same to me...)

:-)
 Broken again ! - Iffy
...all sound the same to me...

There's people round here can tell which village you are from, never mind town or city.

What, like six fingers and webbed feet and such?
 Broken again ! - Iffy
...all sound the same to me...

There's people round here can tell which village you are from, never mind town or city.

...and repeat themselves a lot...
 Broken again ! - Iffy
.....and repeat themselves a lot...

Well, when you've got two heads....

Apples eh? State of the art...

:-)
 Broken again ! - Iffy
...Apples eh? State of the art...

I could explain, but you probably don't want to go to bed quite yet, so let's just say 'pilot error'.
 Broken again ! - R.P.
PICNIC
 Broken again ! - Iffy
...PICNIC...

Many a true word said in jest:

www.eclectech.co.uk/dailymailpicnic.php
 Broken again ! - R.P.
Thanks.

Person In Chair Not (i) Computer !
 Broken again ! - Zero
>> Apples eh? State of the art...
>>
Yup, think you got to the core of the problem there Humph.
 Broken again ! - Netsur
I was a passenger in a ten year old Focus yesterday that looked fresh out of the showroom, It has been driven for the whole of that period by a guy who bought it as a student and still owns it now he is a high earning lawyer. Sees no reason to sell it and I couldn't either.
Latest Forum Posts