Motoring Discussion > This Rover really isn't a dog :) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 38

This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Dog
I owned 2 of them, both V8's, and tuned many - great cars (in their day)

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/8259679/Classic-Rover-P6-review.html
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Bellboy
i read this and i am pretty sure the rover grace died in was the earlier rover and not the one shown
doing a google is absolutely no help whatsoever
can anyone old enough confirm to me the rover she died in was the proceding model and one i always considered as a p5 (there was also a fastback version

thanks
It say's Land Rover here Bb ~

www.findadeath.com/Deceased/k/GraceKelly/princessgrace.htm
>> It say's Land Rover here Bb ~
>>
>> www.findadeath.com/Deceased/k/GraceKelly/princessgrace.htm
>>
yes i found rubbish like that on the internet too dog
its another reason why i am a wiki free man
i know for a fact it was the big rover but the internet is becoming the new burning books of history and to hell with the truth
:-(
>>but the internet is becoming the new burning books of history and to hell with the truth<<

Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see :)
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - commerdriver
There is a picture of the wreck in that article, clearly a later model P6, sad death whatever the car
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - R.P.
It was a P6 - don't need Wiki to remember that.
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Fenlander
3500S manual gearbox model too.
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - R.P.
I want one.
If there was a drive to park them on I could show a nice image from when our his & hers were 3500 Auto & 3500S.

The manual S model was a stormer in its day... in some ways a bit fast for the early 60s design chassis.
are you chaps saying this from memory or after you google it?
i still have a picture of the older rover in my head for the time
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Iffy
...The manual S model was a stormer in its day...

We used to service a red one, black vinyl roof and spare on the boot lid.

As Fenlander says, pulled very nicely indeed.

The engine was so smooth it was possible to hit the red line almost without realising it.

I had a tired old auto for a few months, which wasn't half the car.
>>>I had a tired old auto for a few months, which wasn't half the car.

The issue for me was that Mrs F owned the 3500S so I could never keep up in the auto!
One worthwhile mod was electronic ignition.

Eight lobes on the distributor cam was too many for the points to follow, particularly when the car was older and the various components were worn.

Funny thing of the 4 or 5 we owned they all ran and pulled superbly with no tuning issues. One was bought with worn cam lobes (remember that issue?) and I fitted a new cam but otherwise the engines were bulletproof. The manual went through two gearboxes in a year (jumping out of reverese issue) and all the autos had various degrees of corrosion. I guess we were running them at 4-7yrs old.

My first *prestige* car was an early 2000SC, later I owned a facelift 2000SC and got to use a 2200TC a fair bit. Always found the 4cyl engines a bit coarse... preferred the Triumph 2000 with the 6cyl if a 2lit was the option.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 11:53
What colours were your 2 Fenlander, mine were that light Fern Green, and Zircon (ex plod) Blue, which I had sprayed Old English White.

At the time we lived in the flats next to the Tate Modern, and we had an underground carpark, I used to floor the throttle (auto) with the window down to hear the Grrrrrrrowl from the SD1 heads and 'straight through' exhaust :-D

My next door neighb had a nicely restored 2.2TC recently, he has some nice rolling stock ~

www.brooklandsclassics.co.uk/forsale.php
In 3500cc we had a mid brown auto with beige leather, a zircon blue auto with cream leather, a sandy yellow (brown vinyl roof) facelift auto with tan cloth, a choc brown facelift manual S with tan PVC... and there should be one more that's escaped me.

In 2000cc we had a dark green with beige leather and a facelift light green (fern?) with black leather... the 2200cc was just a little darker than zircon blue with black cloth.
My fairly early 3500 auto was a dull, battleship grey, with four fibre-glass wings which were a slightly less dull shade of the same colour.

It was a heap, really, by the time I got it.
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Zero
I think the 3.5 litre P6 is possibly the most desirable motor ever produced by a mainstream UK car company.
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Robin O'Reliant
>> I think the 3.5 litre P6 is possibly the most desirable motor ever produced by
>> a mainstream UK car company.
>>
And it is still a fantastic looking car, if they bought one out with the same bodyshell today I would be lusting after one as much as I was in my youth.

A design classic.
>>In 3500cc we had a mid brown auto with beige leather, a zircon blue ...

Not over keen on the tobacco brown (any brown) colour :)
Sandy Yellow was nice istr, and the dark Green suited the mrk IMO.

The colour I really liked for the P6, was that deep Red colour.
The other thing about the P6, was that it was built like a tank, an Allagro backed into me once doing much damage to his car?, but not a mark on mine.
White, with black vinyl.
dog with a bone found the link
knew i was correct
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AGrace_Kelly
read down
as i said i dont like wiki and its innacuracies

Vehicle she died in?

It is clear that there is a mistake here which needs correcting. Princess Grace died in a Rover P5B. A vehicle preferred by many government officails in the uk around that time. The cited link to C4 cannot be used as the text of that link states she died in a Rover P4 (which was far too old to be correct)AND the picture shows a Rover P6 which Princess Grace would not have been seen out in! It would be a good idea for a moderator to contact possible the Rover P5 Auto club to clarify this. Thanks

She did not die in a vehicle. She died in a hospital. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 87.21.128.99 (talk) 00:22, 14 June 2008 (UTC)
The reference we have to support which car she crashed in is wrong. It links to a Channel 4 program (from 2001) that says a Rover 3500 P4 but there is no 3500 P4 AFAIK and we say a P6. It probably was a 3500 P6 so the Channel 4 program reference is wrong. I have contacted them to get it confirmed/changed. Ttiotsw (talk) 18:47, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
...Vehicle she died in?...

I'm more confused than ever.

What model Rover was Kelly in when she had the crash?

This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Crankcase

>> I'm more confused than ever.
>>

You think you're confused. I had the wrong Grace entirely and kept thinking she died in a barn fire.
>>>knew i was correct

Well actually the claim that it was a P5B has no more authority than the statement it was any other model.

>>>picture shows a Rover P6 which Princess Grace would not have been seen out in!

What a daft comment. She wasn't being seen out in this car.. she was driving it. Having driven both P5 & P6 I'd have gone for the P6.

Mind you if the P5 club have proof then I'll consider it.
There's a pic of the car here:

www.franksreelreviews.com/gracekelly/the-death-of-a-princess-grace-kelly-dies-in-car-crash

Answers as to which Rover it is on a post please, to the usual forum address.
Not the Ford Crown Victoria picture either.
Iffy that's a 3500S in the crash photo on your link... assuming it's the right crash!

Also I've found this webpage... in French so it must be right... that refers to it as a 3500S. Given that the initial crash image in links higher up showed a 3500S the evidence is building perhaps??

www.autonews.fr/Dossiers/Retro/Ces-stars-disparues-en-voiture/Grace-Kelly-decedee-le-14-septembre-1982-en-Rover-3500S-V8-3/
...Iffy that's a 3500S in the crash photo on your link... assuming it's the right crash!...

I couldn't tell what car it was.

The BBC reported it at the time as a '10-year-old' Rover, which would make it a 1972 model.

Don't think that helps because both cars were in production in the early 1970s.

In that colour crash pic on your link Iffy you can see the 3500S badge immediately above a bit of chrome trim on the wing... also the very distinctive upward lip at the rear of the bonnet which a P6 has. I reckon you can also jsut see a hint of the twin cosmetic power bulges they put on the 3500S.

Finally it does look like the same car/crash as the other pic where the car is still upside down which was easily IDd as a 3500S.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 14:45
...you can see the 3500S badge immediately above a bit of chrome trim...

That was a good spot.

Tend to agree, there's more or less conclusive evidence it was a 3500S.

This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Focusless
>> www.franksreelreviews.com/gracekelly/the-death-of-a-princess-grace-kelly-dies-in-car-crash
>>
>> Answers as to which Rover it is on a post please, to the usual forum
>> address.

Well at least they corrected the original statement that it was an SD1.
>> Well at least they corrected the original statement that it was an SD1.

That was when she was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ol1qLyYwE&ob=av3el
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Focusless
>> >> Well at least they corrected the original statement that it was an SD1.
>>
>> That was when she was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ol1qLyYwE&ob=av3el

That would explain why she couldn't afford the V8:
imcdb.org/vehicle_17899-Rover-2600-SD1-1981.html
>>dog with a bone found the link
knew i was correct<<

I'll have a word with her at the Bodmin Spiritualist Church on Sunday night :)
>>>White, with black vinyl.

Not my favourite by a long way. A bomb site type dealer near here in the late 70s always had one or two in that colour combination.... with all roof holes hidden under the vinyl.
 This Rover really isn't a dog :) - Mike Hannon
It was a 3500 P6. I`m within spitting distance of the royal palace as I type...
The choice of a P6 as a runabout shows Rainier really did know about motors.
My P6 V8 was tobacco brown and is still much missed after 9 years.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 10:48
can we have a picture of you holding up the sun newspaper to prove it?
best done on the roundabout with the model le mans car with the date 21/051955 etched on it

thanks

reporting from snowy england.........
Latest Forum Posts