Motoring Discussion > Where to get a battery from in Manchester? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 35

Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - RattleandSmoke
I might need a car battery for Monday as the Fiesta's battery now needs charging every couple of days.

I can get a Vitara for £48 including delivery but I assume I could get it for the same price from a shop but where?

Want a decent brand but don't want to spend a lot especialy as the car might be scrapped in August depending on the MOT.

Just getting sick and tired of removing the battery every other flipping day now.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Zero
halfords
I can buy a complete Fiesta for less than what that shop wants. The cheapest was £70.

I can get a Varta for just less than £50 online would but rather go to a shop so I am not stuck in all day waiting for it.
Looks like Euro car parts do a Bosch or Excide for £40. Both should be fine.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - R.P.
Manchester Batteries used to be pretty sharp when I needed to indulge - according to Google they are still around but are now called ManBar....
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Stuartli
Halfords is probably the most expensive option...:-)

Ring some motor factors in your area and ask for prices. I've found that Partco are pretty good.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Zero
>> Manchester Batteries used to be pretty sharp when I needed to indulge - according to
>> Google they are still around but are now called ManBar....

Sounds like a "funny" nightclub in Canal Street.

Iffy might want the details tho.
I'll e-mail him the details - he may get "charged" and end up in the "cells".
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Fursty Ferret
I always thought £60-70 is a fairly reasonable price for a battery.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Stuu
I like Halfords batteries because if there is a fault with the car causing the battery to run down, you can get free replacements. Has the battery been tested? Has the water level been checked if its possible to refill?
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - corax
>> I always thought £60-70 is a fairly reasonable price for a battery.

It is, and considering that a silver calcium battery usually has a four year guarantee and will last well beyond that, it's not bad at all.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - henry k
>>....a silver calcium battery usually has a four year guarantee and will last well beyond that, it's not bad at all.
>>
I suspect a silver calcium battery is the wrong battery for the old Fiesta.
I suspect a standard battery is the one specified.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - spamcan61
I bought a battery from my local motor factors a few weeks back for my lovely Vectra, it was 47 quid, 3 year warranty. I did buy one size down from that recommended for the CDX mind you. No point in spending more than necessary on a car with a life expectancy in months.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 29 Jan 11 at 18:51
Remember this is a 1996 built Fiesta (on an R plate) it is rusting and we are just keeping it till it dies.

No point on buying an expensive battery when this time next year it might well be baked beans cans on the back of Pat's lorry.

Also remembere bigger engines need better batteries, this is a Fiesta a 40amp battery is fine.

We hoped to keep this battery going but it is now clear it does need to changed.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 29 Jan 11 at 18:53
>> Remember this is a 1996 built Fiesta (on an R plate) it is rusting and
>> we are just keeping it till it dies.
>>
>> No point on buying an expensive battery when this time next year it might well

Agreed, although a decent battery can often be swapped over to another car. My current bangernomics Vectra had a nice brand new silver calcium battery in it when I bought it, that's now in SWMBO's Zafira after the (9 tear old) OEM battery in that died.
Lol just mentioned that myself. I have no idea what my dads next car will be, it depends if they sell the house or not, it will probably either be another Fiesta (so I can rob a lot of spares) or a something brand new like a Kia Rio.

There is a chance it will pass the MOT in August too, it will need welding but if it is just a bit the brakes/suspension should all pass.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 29 Jan 11 at 18:58
Exactly but we do need it to start in cold weather. I will probably keep this battery as spare so if we scrap it I could always sell the new battery on with with the original receipt.
I reckon 40 quid tops for a basic battery for the Fiesta then.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Stuartli
>> I'll e-mail him the details - he may get "charged" and end up in the "cells".>>

Assault and battery?
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Harleyman
That's enough of the "acid" comments; you never know where they might "lead".
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Ted

Autocom factors, Darnley Street....just by Tesco express, Upper Chorlton Road. mention my name.....tell 'em it's for me.
226 9265.

Used to do Dagenite but I can't remember what they do now.
Manbat trade only now. Moved somewhere in east Manchester.....pity.

Ted
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - bathtub tom
Can't you "I told 'em Oldham".

Sorry, late post after vino-de-collapso.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Perky Penguin
I find vino collapso rather hard on the liver and tend to favour the less well known Chateau T*ts Up
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Bigtee
www.tayna.co.uk/batterygroups/28/085-Car-Batteries-page1.html

Good prices to compare.
Thanks will probably get it tomorrow when some more of my cheques have cleared.

Just hope it is the battery but I am sure it has to be. It should not drain after three or four attempts to start and the car is running fine otherwise so I can't see them being any ignition related problems.

Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Bellboy
£150 a tonne at the moment
give your dad a break and waste the thing on the weigh bridge
He does need it for work though, I don't want him to use the Panda for reasons I am getting into on here.

Hopefully the battery will solve the problem and some filing cabinets can hold the floor up in August. It is no worse than any other R reg Fiesta but they do all have a habit of rusting.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 31 Jan 11 at 12:35

That's a co-incidence BB. Just waiting for my salvage man to come for my old Fiesta....offered me £140 which i thought was ok.
There is a place not far away where we used to take them....direct to crusher. But they don't want the wheels and tyres and you've got to take the car, with all the implications of ANPR.

Much easier to sit here in the warm and have another coffee.

Rats, if you want, I'll check the charging rate before you commit to a battery. This Fiesta runs and charges ok but something drains the battery if it's left standing. I suspect it's the alarm 'cos it gives a little croak when you stick the battery on.

Fiesta battery at Autocom about £35 inclusive of VAT.....no brainer !

Ted
Thanks Ted, will give them a call to see how much they are exactly.

I think it is the imboliser which drains it, we have found if the Fords are left standing a few weeks they do get drained, it is not getting drained overy night if it hits below 3 or 4c but otherwise it seems fine.

Don't think there can be any problem with the altnerator is it did a 250 mile round trip over the Pennines a couple of ago without any trouble.

I think at £35 and being 95% sure it just the battery it is worth the gamble, if it still has trouble starting then it is off the scrap yard.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - Perky Penguin
In Halfords, looking for a sign saying "Caution - Old Phart in Transit", the way one does! Passsed the batteries etc section and was pleased to see a very good battery for £39.95. Turns out this was the price of a pair of jump leads on the shelf above! Batteries were £50+ and going to £80 for a calcium (?) one with a 4 year warranty. Do you have a Costco card Rattle, any registered business can get one?
Never bothered with Costo, we used to be members of Makro but towards the end we found it wasn't really that cheap. Food was cheap but only if you bought in bulk, now not many houses would buy beaked beens in lots of 100.
Is the car parked off-road Rattle, can you plumb in a smart charger, and keep it topped up whilst its standing ?
Parked on road. It is used every day so it isn't an issue, it is was just last when it was left for weeks after my dads accident we found the battery would drain.
 Where to get a battery from in Manchester? - WillDeBeest
I think it is the imboliser which drains it...

I hope you're not trying to self-medicate that stomach problem, Ratts.
Bought one from Autocom in the end the place where Ted mentioned. £35 all in including a three year warranty. Fitted it and the car starts in split second, it wasn't doing that before even when the battery was fully charged.

Hopefully problem is solved, it is a cheap battery but the car won't even last the three year warranty so it dosn't matter.

It always pays to heed the advice of a real expert !

Smug mode off.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts