Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 13

Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - Badwolf
Afternoon folks,

I'm idly thinking about changing my 2003 1.6 petrol Megane for a Merc C250 TD Auto. I've always fancied one of these and will hopefully be in a position to buy one soon.

I'd be looking at R-W reg - is this Mercedes's 'dark time'? I know that they had several 'issues' a while back but I can't recall when this was.

What sort of mpg can I expect from one, in a mix of town and motorway driving on a 30 mile round trip commute?

Thanks in advance.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - Boxsterboy
Some say the W202 was the last of the over-engineered Mercs, others say they are from the dark period! There will be plenty of more informed comments on the Merc forums, I would have thought.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - -
I like them, yes they are from the dark period but in practice they are a lot better for corrosion than the model that replaced it, as always much depends on the previous owners care.

So long as you buy well a genuine car thats been looked after including gearbox oil changes, a thoroughly pleasant torquey car with a lovely gearbox.
reckon on 35 to 40mpg with a bit better cruising.

Finding a low mileage example will take some doing.

Some good MB forums out there.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - madf
The original Diesel Car roadtest said 32mpg overall and lots of turbo lag at startoff for the 2.5TD.

Rust.
Glow plugs stick in head ££££s.

Most have well over 100k and neglect..
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - Netsur
I had a 1999 Merc C200. Petrol I admit, but seemed to be well screwed together. It was the facelift model which was better than the original model. I got rid of it only because it was dull. It had a very good turning circle, a great auto box and firm but comfortable seats. But it was just dull.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - Dave_
I worked as a service driver for a Mercedes dealer when the common rail C220CDI had just been launched (S-reg IIRC), so I got to drive a fair few 1- or 2- year old C250TDs. Enormous turbo lag on the TD version, also on the E300TD of the time. They seemed solidly built enough though, and I imagined the owners must have tolerated the lag and the noise because they were amazingly economical, or something.
Hmmm. Looks like I'd better drive a few before I get my bidding finger out!

Thanks for your replies :-)
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - rtj70
A colleague got a C250D as a company car just as the new C220D was coming out. It was a better spec car for less money for him. He liked it enough to buy it at the end of the lease.

But during his time with the car it needed a new turbo. Within the warranty period. Seemed a solidly built car mind.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - madf
Do watch out for glowplugs. Any starting problems? Run a mile.

It's a head off job in the worst cases.. and a new head..

(there are tools to help but also lots of botched jobs...Carbon build up prevents their removal.. and they break off in place...Aprilia on HJ used to post on it: see archives)

Edit: and the fuel return pipes leak.. And there are lots of minor but expensive issues with injectors if neglected at high miles)

Search MB Owners Club forums for 250TD
Last edited by: madf on Fri 19 Mar 10 at 19:07
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - Bagpuss
I had a 98 C250TD automatic, bought at a year old with 30,000 miles on it. I put another 30,000 miles on it in a year and had no problems with it. Great for long distances and has that old fashioned relaxed Merc feel with pliant suspension and heavily damped steering that disappeared with the W203. I really liked the car and preferred it in many ways to the W203 that replaced it.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - JohnM{P}
Poor NCAP crash test, if you are concerned about such things
w w w.euroncap.com/tests/mercedes_benz_c_class_1997/18.aspx
I am. Thanks for that, John. Doesn't make much sense to swap my 5 star NCAP Megane for a less safe car, does it? Oh well, another dream dashed on the shores of reality...
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W202 - Are these any good? - JohnM{P}
For a good mix of low cost with comfort and excellent crash test safety, what about a Rover 75 CDT?
That's not a bad idea, John. Thanks :-)
Latest Forum Posts