Motoring Discussion > when to change Buying / Selling
Thread Author: vitesse Replies: 29

when to change - vitesse
My FIL is considering changing (or perhaps not) his five year old Forester. Reasons given for changing are petrol consumption, will need cam belt change and four new tyres next year and general concern about maintaining it. Subaru parts are expensive as are repair bills if something goes wrong. On the other hand it has been completely reliable and he likes it.

So some advice please from the collective wisdom of the Forum:

What is the optimum age to trade for a new car? 3 years, 5 years or run in to the ground?

Replacements considered are VW Tiguan diesel or Forester diesel. He has looked at the Yeti but boot is too small. What do you think or what alternatives in the small 4x4 line up would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice

vitesse
 when to change - Bellboy
shoot it before its unwanted
 when to change - RichardW
You could write it like this, which makes it a bit clearer?

"I've got a 5 year old car that I like and has been reiliable. It needs maybe £1k spending on it, and it MAY need another £1-£2k spending the next 3 or 4 years if anything breaks. Alternatively, I could chop it in and spend a guaranteed £10k on a new car before this one 'starts costing me money'."

If you've got the cash to burn and desire to change fair enough, but I never understood the spend £10k to save a possible £1k argument! But then I do drive a 10 year old Xantia, so maybe my opinion is biased....
 when to change - Cliff Pope
You have to realise that the question of changing cars has got nothing to do with economics. However much the question is dressed up as one about financial wisdom, the real question is always " I want to be seen owning a newer car. What half-convincing financial reason can I pretend is the real justification for the change?"
 when to change - Stuu
Ive driven a few high miler Foresters and they have never felt ropey, they seem to take old age quite well.

Keep it, it will be a long time before you make up any marginal fuel savings unless he does big miles and theres no sense in buying something new to save a few thousand quid. Maybe find somewhere cheaper to service it tho.
 when to change - RattleandSmoke
It depends on many circumstances, I plan to keep my car for as longs as it stays reliable and fits my needs. However if in five years time I saw a cracking deal then I would not say no to another new car.

when to change - Bellboy
the real words are in the first sentence
any salesman would spot it at a mile

petrol consumption

when to change - Stuu
Economy is all very well, but it matters to a varying degree depending on the miles you do. If your doing 30k a year, you could make a decent saving, but if your doing 5k, you would prob not make up the difference during ownership by buying a new car - new cars are expensive.
 when to change - L'escargot
>> However if in five years time I saw
>> a cracking deal then I would not say no to another new car.

In that case it's time to start saving up.
 when to change - madf
Depreciation is king...
 when to change - Bagpuss
My FIL also has a 5 year old Forester. Anyone who thinks Subarus are indestructible should look at this one. A combination of Moscow roads and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy from the driver have resulted in a snatching/ juddering clutch, a noticeable transmission whine and bits falling off the (admittedly low rent) interior. Fuel consumption not an issue in Moscow as petrol is cheap.
 when to change - vitesse
Thank you for all the replies so far. Interesting to note that the trade expert, bellboy, says sell while most of the other opinions are to keep. FIL does about 15,000 miles per year and the change from 25mpg to 40mpg looks attractive.

We looked at the Tiguan and the new Forester and the Tiguan certainly had a nicer cabin and a few more "toys", although that may not be a good thing. Looking at the VED website it seems that the Forester is Euro 4 rather than the Euro 5 of the Tiguan so tax is a bit higher. Does that mean that though the Subaru diesel is new it is older technology?

Finally has anyone direct experience of the Forester diesel or of the Tiguan?

Thanks

vitesse
 when to change - Stuu
I think if your FIL is doing this for financial reasons, id buy him a calculator because a new Forester diesel aint the way to save money overall.
Id forget about which is most cost effective because cost clearly isnt the motivation, he just wants a new car and as an added bonus, have the illusion of saving a few pennies on fuel. Man maths at its best :-)
Last edited by: stunorthants29 on Mon 31 Jan 11 at 17:14
 when to change - Zero
The Subaru diesel really isnt that good by current diesel world standards.

Not the best fuel consuption wise, not the quietest, and certainly not the smoothest.

when to change - Stuu
I love the illusion of buying a £23k new car to save £1300 a year in fuel.
Assuming the old one is worth say £6k, thats £17k extra...
 when to change - Zero
Yeah but over 5 years its only £10.5k extra.
 when to change - spamcan61
So, I make it 3500 quid per year fuel costs with petrol, 2300 with diesel. It's going to take a few years to get that 1200 quid a year back, to justify the cost to change.
 when to change - madf
Annual depreciation on a £23k car is £2.3k (10 year life)
On a £7k car, £1400 (5 year life).

And most of it is in the first 5 years.

A no brainer if you worry about money. Petrol saving? If serious we would see depreciation, VED, servicing and insurance costs as well...

He's just pretending...
 when to change - brettmick
I just changed from a fully paid for i10 into an expensive cabriolet. The i10 is too small for me (it was bought for the Mrs before the bairn arrived) and was giving me back ache while I like nice cars. Justification? Limited and the 200 BHP petrol engine will use much more petrol than the little 1.2 however I am no longer spending £350 a month on a train ticket into London so, before father time catches up with me, have gone with my heart....

I will buy a 60 cc Polo with battery pack in 20 years time when 50 MPH will be the limit and my reflexes will be shot anyway....
 when to change - Fullchat
And remember on a £20K car £4K immediatly goes to help solve the deficit.

So thats 1/5th of the value wiped out on the turn of the key.
 when to change - WillDeBeest
Only 1/6 of the purchase price is VAT, FC. What's the rest?
 when to change - Londoner
WDB, VAT is 20% now isn't it?
 when to change - Dave_
Total selling price is 120%... Cost price £16666.67 (100%) + VAT £3333.33 (20%) = £20000.00 (120%)

If the £20k car has a CO2 figure higher than 226g/km the first year's VED would be £750, or £950 if over 255g/km. That adds up to over 4 grand's worth of deficit reduction on day 1.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 31 Jan 11 at 23:40
 when to change - lancara
Having just seen the new Forester, which appears to have been attacked with the ugly brush, I think I'd opt to keep the old one:

www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Subaru-Forester-2.0-XS/255245/
 when to change - hobby
If he really wants to change... and the fuel consumption is the major issue... why is he still looking at that type of car?

The question he needs to ask is "what sort of car do I actually need?" Does he really need a 4x4? Could he cope with a smaller car (as in lower and more aerodynamic), most of the 4x4s are smaller inside than many run of the mill medium and mid range cars...

He needs to ask himself some searching questions and answer truthfully... otherwise, as many have said, there seems little point in spending £17000 to save £1300!
 when to change - Netsur
Usual question to which the answer is always - keep the car.

My father sold his seven year old Forester XTurbo which he had battered since he took it over from me. Whenever I drove it, it was as good to drive as the day it was built.
 when to change - Gromit
Seconded!

I drive a 1999 Forester with 180,000 miles on the clock, bought second hand 13 months ago at 170,000 miles with service history from new. Except for service items, its needed both back shock absorbers and bushings replaced.

Parts aren't cheap, agreed, but based on the examples here, the OP can reasonably expect another 5 years trouble free service from his one before he needs to start wondering when to change.
 when to change - vitesse
>> If he really wants to change... and the fuel consumption is the major issue... why
>> is he still looking at that type of car?
>>

He actually does NEED a 4x4 as he tows his fishing boat round the remote parts of Scotland and Ireland and lives at the top of a steep winding lane which is regularly snowbound. Thus the extra ground clearance and four wheel drive are essential. On top of that he prefers the elevated driving position and better visibility of a small SUV.

Most of the answers have focused on the financial question posed but only Zero has given us any information about the Forester diesel and no one has commented on the Tiguan.

To be honest he doesn't really need to "save" money but reckons that if he is going to change he might as well have a car which has much better fuel consumption, lower VED and lower depreciation.

vitesse
 when to change - Netsur
If he is really going to change come what may then there are far better cars than the new Forester or Tiguan. Honda CRV, Hyundai iX35, Kia Sportage. Have a look at those instead.
 when to change - Lygonos
I just traded in my 58 Forester Turbo for a new Shogun.

I can make good use of a bigger car with a clutch of sproglets (Foz is similar dimensions to a Focus and doesnt take a child seat behind the driver's seat in the full back position).

Financially, although the Foz needs a new set of tyres soon (£500-600), it would be much wiser to keep it and run it for many more years - the £425 VED is small change with a £6 gallon.

He should keep the Forester and splash the few hundred on new boots and a belt at 60k.

Whatever he buys he'll be spending the same amount equipping it with towbar and electrics.
Latest Forum Posts