Motoring Discussion > MOT - odd thing. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 5

MOT - odd thing. - BiggerBadderDave
I've just taxed my car online, no problems whatsoever.

Then I noticed the DVLA MOT history checker so I thought I'd have nosey out of curiosity and typed in the registration number. It says it doesn't have an MOT for this vehicle.

It does have an MOT, I have it in front of me, but it was under the private plate that I chose not to purchase with the car. It has now gone back to it's original plate but the connection hasn't been made somewhere in the system between the old plate and the latest MOT.

So how was I able to tax it online? It said at that point that MOT and Insurance was all in order. Which it is. It seems that the DVLA "Tax online" and "MOT history checker" don't talk to each other.

Lucky for me.

MOT - odd thing. - RattleandSmoke
It seems like it, or just a bug some where in the SQL programming. I guess one database is looking up your VIN and the other is looking up the reg plate.
 MOT - odd thing. - BiggerBadderDave
And which database do plod use?
 MOT - odd thing. - RattleandSmoke
Well they would have go off the reg plate as they cannot see the VIN uless they pull you over. They can probably search for VIN too though
 MOT - odd thing. - R.P.
Yes they can, either through the reg number or VIN, both sets of data are reversible - It's a data dump from the DVLA on a daily basis - A car has a "record" it will show current keeper, date of first registration, expiry of VEL, Expiry of MoT, details of insurance. Any Police data including whether stolen and "markers" (used in crime etc) - it'll also show a duplicate record showing previous registration numbers...all kinds of stuff.
 MOT - odd thing. - Bellboy
i have a car thats just had a plate change
now no history on the vosa mot website
nice little cleansing agent if you ever needed it
Latest Forum Posts