Motoring Discussion > Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 29

Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - nice but dim
.....so after the house hunting I've decided to hang on a while (6 months) and treat my self to a new motor. First things first I wasnt looking for a new car, I was preparing my current Mazda 626 for the MOT and the mechanic who does the MOT's and repairs for my household announced that he was selling his 98 (R) Mazda MX-3 V6 with 75k miles. Having a look round and it is immaculate inside and out finished in silver, garaged nightly and interior fabrics covered in seat covers. Firing up the 1.8 24V V6 purrs quietly with no odd noises or blowing exhausts. Only downside is that aircon has a leak so cant use that (it doesnt work in my 626 either) and it is due a cam belt change within next 6-9 months (my 626 will need one within next year anyway) so those points I can live with + add in the 12 month MOT and 6 month tax included in the sale.

Price - £1350 agreed - ok some of you might think too much but its agreed and I'm dead pleased. Always wanted a V6 and although only a 1.8 not too hardcore but loads more fun than my 4 pot 2.0 626 oh and its pretty good looking too IMO

Not actually having it until March as I need to get my current car MOT'd and sellable. Not too much needed, tyres should be ok to punt it on just needs a bit of attention to creak at front maybe track rod end or ball joint replacing and the drivers side rear arch sanding and painting to cover the rust up. I'm hoping to get £500 for my 626, it has 5 doors, 4 x electric windows, h/elec mirrors, e/sunroof, adj steering, part working aircon (demist only) + 12 month MOT but NO tax. he bodywork has no dents but a few minor scuffs on bumpers but the paintwork is generally very good.

Can you advise of a possible selling price please?

What do people think of the MX-3 (I wont take offence!)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 00:29
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Dave_
>> part working aircon (demist only)

I'm not going to rise to the bait...

How old is your 626?

A quick search of completed sales on eBay shows final sale prices of £350-£400 for P-R reg cars, £500-£600 for T-W reg and as much as £841 for a 51-plate.
March 1998 (R) 111,000 miles
What I meant of aircon was that while it demists effectively, it doesnt produce noticibly cool air from the vents.
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Dave_
Advertise it at £495 but accept £400.

bit.ly/ehPfRO

Long, long aircon discussion here: www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=4067&v=f
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 31 Jan 11 at 23:22
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Falkirk Bairn
Same engine as my 2 litre Xedos - nice and smooth x 6 cylinder non interference V6 - if the cambelt fails the engine / valves etc should survive intact.

Why are not all cars built with non-interference engines?
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Netsur
Sewing machine engine (that's good BTW!). Always liked them.
It's slightly down on power but only just 128bhp plays 136bhp (current car) but they are official figures. I would a assume a high(er) tech V6 would retain more power than a standard 4-cyl over the years?
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Iffy
... I would a assume a high(er) tech V6 would retain more power than a standard 4-cyl over the years?...

Not particularly, most modern cars stay in tune without much attention, so there will be nothing in it, give or take a bit of engine wear.

I don't see the point of getting your old car 'MOT'd and sellable'.

Every penny you spend will come off the relatively small asking price, better to put it through an auction, or if you are confident with ebay, auction it on there as is.
>>
>> I don't see the point of getting your old car 'MOT'd and sellable'.
>>
>> Every penny you spend will come off the relatively small asking price, better to put
>> it through an auction, or if you are confident with ebay, auction it on there
>> as is.
>>

Good point, all it needs I think is maybe a track rod end or bush from front (slight creakingclunking when parking - most prominent when reversing and turning wheel)

Ebay as is sounds interesting?
...Ebay as is sounds interesting?...

Never tried it, and from that uninformed perspective, I have convinced myself ebay is full of conmen and shysters.

Others on here have had more positive experiences.

Hopefully someone will be along with a few tips.

Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Bellboy
yes dont do it
full of evil lying wannabe punters
best use autotrader with a new mot and a full description
this way any punters that turn up and diss your wheels you can set the dogs on them
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Fenlander
Just sold a Merc on Ebay for a grand. Loads of interest, made the money, buyer paid cash & collected within 24hrs, two underbidders offered cash backup if he didn't come through.

As usual in 99% of Ebay sales it was a good result.
slighty different ball game though do you not think fenlander?
merc versus marzda
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Fenlander
Well OK but look at Stu... he always gets more for his old Japanese cars on the bay than they're worth!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 15:51
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Stuu
Indeed. Just sold the old Wagon R for £360 to some Polish girl who cant even drive.
I couldnt much understand her, but she brought along an English speaking friend, they paid cash and were no hassle whatsoever.

Frankly I thought it was worth £100. Who am I to disagree with the winner though.
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - nyx2k
i notoced you relisted it during the week.
did you have some hassle.
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Stuu
Not really but I decided to make the listing far more negative to ensure no come backs, as it was in increased interest, people sure are weird.

As it was the buyer brought along her little Polish mechanic which looked like he would have it in bits in the garden within a day - he didnt seem to think it was that bad, better than expected infact from what was translated to me.
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - RattleandSmoke
Well with even rusty 13 year old Fiestas fetching £500 with a full ticket I can understand her. Probably just wanted a cheap car to learn in, I bought an 11 year old Fiesta for £400 to do the same job, the piston rings were shot but it did the job I wanted it to do.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 17:14
Before the new car came along I saved £300 for MOT fees and repairs. Hopefully the MOT will be about £150 and if I get £375 in sale I will have £525 total. Add that to the £200 I saved to tax the car after MOT for 12 months (the MX3 tax expires October 2011) and that makes £725 to the car fund.
OK, put an MoT on it if you must, but don't do the coachwork, that really is throwing money away.

coachwork
>
>>>>>>>>>havent heard that said for donks
...havent heard that said for donks...

You know me Bellboy, stuck in a 50-year-old world of separate valve seats, poured lead big end bearings, oversize pistons with an extra oil control ring around the skirt, core plugs, universal thermostat gaskets, popping a tube in to mend a puncture, cellulose, etc etc.
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Pat
Replacable propshaft UJ's, low tension leads, rotor arms, a shot of Redex, spigot bearings and trying to get those horrible springs in place at the back of a pair of brake shoes!

Happy days.

Pat
dont forget to lube the mini suspension as well
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - bathtub tom
>>universal thermostat gaskets

Don't they do them any more?

Don't forget kingpins.
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - madf
or change the U bolts of a Mini..

or the condenser, and change the balljoints on the hubs, carefully reshimming them .

Horrible jobs...
i do miss all the little tinkering jobs though. it was nice to spend sunday morning doing the little jobs but i suppose it's nicer to take the children out than it is to spend a few hrs getting dirty under the car
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - Pat
I have one son, I tried it and preferred to spend my time tinkering with a car, so I never had another one!

Pat
 Mazda MX3 - Agreed purchase of new car - bathtub tom
>>change the balljoints on the hubs

I got my local accessory shop to replace my ball joint splitter after the first bent on a land crab. I must've done close on a dozen of those.
Latest Forum Posts