Motoring Discussion > Washing machines moving upmarket Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 41

Washing machines moving upmarket - WillDeBeest
No, not one for Non-motoring, but the thought that struck me this morning when I saw my first white Jaguar XF. I've seen an Audi A6 estate in white too, and it was a bit of a shock at first sight.

But my next thought was that both cars look better in white than the ubiquitous black, so on balance I declare myself in favour. Do we have any more examples of expensive white motors?
 Washing machines moving upmarket - R.P.
I regularly pass a white X6 on the A55, in my white X1 !

Also seen on the A55 the other day was a black X6 with a personal plate "xxxx RP" - I would like to think it was the legendary Dick Parkhouse who lives locally, a man who was able to become a well regarded consultant orthodontist and a writer for Motorcycle Sport in the 80s......found his e-mail address - might e-mail him a link for this site...
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Boxsterboy
My new (to me) S-Max is white. It was expensive to me. Does that count?
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 11:58
 Washing machines moving upmarket - madf
Does that count?
Yes: another driver with no taste.:-)
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Zero
Some cars look good in white. The shade of white needs to be right for the car tho.

Washing machines moving upmarket - Telb
The only colour the Freeander 2 comes in with no extra cost is white. Looks awful. I pick up my new grey one later this week - worth the extra for a decent paint job.
Dont worry, no one will see it, it will be in the dealer being repaired most of the time.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Stuartli
I normally utterly dislike white - regard it as a non-colour - but the current Audis do look good, as does the VW Sirocco.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Old Navy
I hope all you white car owners are affluent enough to afford the cost of keeping it clean, either in cash or time. I once owned a white car and vowed never again. They will only be the "in" colour for a while so the fashion victims will have to change them anyway.
The X1 isn't bad - the rear end becomes filthy though.
>> The X1 isn't bad - the rear end becomes filthy though.

Thankfully. Pigs always look better in ....

Tho to be fair, Its not the worse. I had the misfortune to be stuck behind an X6. Its truly offensive to the eye.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 13:21
The Scirocco looks like a squashed toad in any colour. White does nothing to improve it.

As for shades of white, my office overlooks a Ford Commercial dealer. I've counted four different shades on what appeared to be new Transit Connects parked side by side. Perhaps White Van Man is more discerning than we give him credit for.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Skoda
White cars are faster too
>> As for shades of white, my office overlooks a Ford Commercial dealer. I've counted four
>> different shades on what appeared to be new Transit Connects parked side by side. Perhaps
>> White Van Man is more discerning than we give him credit for.

Or Fords paint is not up to the mark.
>> Or Fords paint is not up to the mark.
>>

If it is different batches of the same colour it will be fun trying to match it after a bump. :-)
Nothing to worry about, ON: white vans are driven with the utmost care and consideration and never bump anything. But these vans really looked as if they were meant to be different shades. I'd offer you a photo but today's vans are mostly red, and all the same shade of that.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - crocks
I had a quick look at the brochure available online for the Transit Connect.
They only show one white colour - "Frozen White"
you are opposite a post office?
>> Nothing to worry about, ON: white vans are driven with the utmost care and consideration
>> and never bump anything.
>>

Aye right, as they say locally.
Vans are painted white so cyclists stand out when they film themselves hitting them .

Around here , a white car is a method of showing the shade of brown that horse carp is...
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Iffy
Few small cars look good in white because, to use the thread title, they look like mobile washing machines.

It's all a matter of personal preference, of course, but so far in this thread the only cars which have been said to look good in white have been larger ones.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Dog
Wassamatta with white cars then! ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cortina.mk1.white.750pix.jpg
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Bill Payer
Quite often see white Bentleys (I don't live too far from the factory) out on roadtest. They're usually LHD though.

I've regularly seen a while Jag XF in the same area for at least a couple of years.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Boxsterboy
When I went round the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart a few years ago, a lot of production (E and S class) were white. These were headed either for the USA or Middle East.
>> Few small cars look good in white because, to use the thread title, they look
>> like mobile washing machines.

Except of course the Fiat 500 that looks best in white.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Runfer D'Hills
White Qashqais look great. Bit poofy maybe but I'd live with that. I have a black one and a red one incidentally...

:-)
>> White Qashqais look great.

Completely not. They look utterly foul. Fowl in fact, like duck poo.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Runfer D'Hills
Bobby wants one.
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Pat
Is a duck a fowl?

Pat
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Pat
I see a batch of posts have been removed this morning.

No explanation from the Mods whatsoever and no indication on the thread that any removal has taken place.

Most peculiar way of moderating given the content allowed to remain from AC at the bottom of this thread, but perhaps the mods can throw some light on the conflicting message being given out as to what is allowed and why.

Preferably on a thread, so we can all see and attempt to understand the reasons and therefore, should all be able to stay within the rules.

Patl
...Preferably on a thread, so we can all see and attempt to understand the reasons and therefore, should all be able to stay within the rules...

As someone who has had some words of wisdom removed, I have to agree.

It seems unlikely my definition of a bird as 'something with a beak and feathers' was offensive.

But I lack the finely-tuned antennae of some around here.
It was nothing of yours iffy - I hid it after a complaint about a particular posting - unfortunately something unexpected cropped up and I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail. Back home now so I'll have another look in a minute and re-instate what I can.
...Back home now...

More Pete's Eats?

No sadly :-)
And the Renault 5, which has a classless, South-of-France look in white.

Conversely, small cars are among the few that look good in black, the Fiat Uno for example. But the most depressing aspect of scanning the manufacturers' Approved Used pages is the number of black cars on offer. It used to be the nonconformist's choice; now, to quote the Austin Lounge Lizards,

All her friends were nonconformists,
So she became a nonconformist too.
>> But the most depressing aspect of scanning the manufacturers' Approved Used pages is
>> the number of black cars on offer.>>

Soon to be replaced by white ones, and then the next fashion victims choice of colour.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 16:39
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Dave_
>> If it is different batches of the same colour it will be fun trying to match it after a bump. :-)

In the bodyshop I worked in, we had the "recipes" for several different variants of most paint colours: e.g. Diamond White/ red tint; Diamond White/ green tint; Diamond White/ yellow tint. You held a swatch of different shades against the car's paintwork and mixed a batch of the closest match. With practice it was possible to tweak the paint mix to match the individual car, by adding drips of different colour.

The variations were caused by vehicles of the same make and colour being painted in different factories, different countries even.

It always amazed me that a litre of typical white paint, for example, was actually made up of (say) 992ml white, 4ml black, 2ml blue and 2ml yellow.
Cricket 'whites' are not too white to save them blinding each other with reflections in bright sunshine.

Washing machines moving upmarket - Armel Coussine
Upmarket, yeah, I should coco (whatever that means)... in Korea they have a small white car that comes in the shower with you, soaps you all over and the whole thing ends in executive relief... the relentless march of consumerist ingenuity...

'I want some pussy RIGHT NOW! Bring me some PUSSY! Have the bellboy (no offence squire) bring two, no three of them thousand-dollar white consumer products to the penthouse suite toot sweet, mo'fo ...'
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Armel Coussine
Once again I feel moved to remind people that giving a fish's tit what colour one's second-hand jalopy is may be a sign of a sort of fussy, self-important narcissism that ill becomes an intelligent car enthusiast. It's so damn obvious that the colour is a virtually irrelevant consideration compared to the device itself and its real rather than apparent condition.

Only if you buy new or have a pampered second pet car can you realistically specify the finish. On the day-to-day pre-owned market the paint job on what you decide to buy will only suit your real fancy once in a blue moon.

I have always seen this colour lottery as part of the bittersweet fun of motoring, and as helping with camouflage if (as I do) you hope generally to pass unnoticed.
In much shorter - and far less elegant prose: second hand car colour is a lottery,,,
 Washing machines moving upmarket - Lygonos
Just got a Shogun in flat white.

Looks good.

As for cleaning, having previously owned one or two white cars they slowly get dirty (as opposed to black that looks filthy with only a light dusting of grime) and when you eventually clean them it doesn't fail to please you how good they look.

With the shogun I will likely maintain a slight level of dirtiness to avoid the local ne'er-do-wells chapping the door to 'score some weed or eccies, man.'
Latest Forum Posts