Motoring Discussion > Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k Buying / Selling
Thread Author: madf Replies: 81

Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - madf
I recall when the C6 came out and on HJ we all laughed and said we wanted it - secondhand under £10k..

I see now a 2010 Exclusive for £9k...

tinyurl.com/47smmxl link shortened to restore page width to normal

Lots of car for not much money. Large Citroens have amazing depreciation...

Edit: I see it's remanufactured...
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 21:17
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Alanovich
Want it. Big stylee. Bloke up my road's got one and I go green with envy every time he wafts past.

Once the children have got past the grinding-crisps-in-every-nook-and-crannie stage, I'd like a used Phaeton, C6 or an XF.

XF probably being the most sensible of the three, but somehow the one which least tickles my fancy.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - commerdriver
I wonder where it was from 2007 to 2010
On the road with diplomatic plates. Says so in the blurb.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Iffy
...I wonder where it was from 2007 to 2010...

Sitting around at the dealer waiting for a buyer?

Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Tooslow
What does "re-manufactured" mean?

From 2007 to 2010 it was being diplomatic. So you could be in line for a lot of parking tickets!

John
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Armel Coussine
Baghdad?

It's been a diplomatic vehicle according to the blurb.

Check under carpets for glass and bone fragments.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - RattleandSmoke
A dealer near me is trying to sel a 56 plate one for £10k I nearly laughhed when I saw the price tag. He is dreaming.
This one, rats?

tinyurl.com/45wnpwf

(I used the dealer's post code in the search, before anyone worries that I may have given my address away and risked my smalls being pilfered from the washing line.)
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 15:24
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Bellboy
i still love them too
proper french spaceships
>> love them too
>> proper french spaceships

Me too. You are a man of taste Bb.

But apart from trim that is probably a bit expensive and probably doesn't stand up to clumsy treatment, I'm not sure I'd really want one for give-and-take South-East driving. A DS in the early sixties was one thing, but one of those in today's London might seem a slight liability sometimes. You would want something a bit nippier and more squirtable. Big Citroens can get flustered in that sort of use. You have to resign yourself to stately progress, which tends to get on my nerves after a while.

If you lived in rural France the spaceship on cruise every time. I bet it would do better than 40mpg there too.
That is the one, I see the Autotrader price is £2k less than the screen price, even so he is still dreaming.

The place seems to be one of them £5K for a 2002 Golf type places.
The history's simple enough, if you believe it.

A 2007 car in diplomatic use until 2010, when it was registered on normal UK plates, as a '57'.

No worries about parking tickets because its diplomatic plate would have been a different 'D' number.

I used to see quite a few diplomatic cars around the West End of London, so it's all quite plausible.

Well, that's where the embassies are Iffy.

It's not unusual to see diplomatic reg plates out here in Berkcestershestershire, either. There's a few which drop sprogs off to my lad's school.
...Well, that's where the embassies are Iffy...

And Bayswater, and Belgravia, and Knightsbridge, and of course, Kensington, where those nice, peace loving SAS chaps paid a visit via the upstairs windows.

yes but depending who was the previous rear seat occupant decides whether they opened a window to have a phlegm or use the rear carpet

yuk........
?????????????????
my post wasnt to you
it was a generalism
have you not seen the diplomatic cars and how they are used whilst queing for an overpriced ticket to see a load of tosh and one of them parks on the pavement nearly taking your leg off and things get out
>> one of them parks on the pavement nearly taking your leg off and things get out

'The Thing from Another Country', so to speak?

I think I know what you mean. I seem to remember a blast of aftershave crossing several feet of London pavement once as some well-dressed, well-groomed representatives of a rather nasty Portuguese government got out of a Mercedes.

I always associate a very noticeable smell of aftershave with moral turpitude. Irrational I know.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Alastairw
I always associate a very noticeable smell of aftershave with moral turpitude. Irrational I know.

You should meet my 15 year old son then. His morals are very turpit, from time to time.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - WillDeBeest
Could be only a few months older than this one, Ratts, and he's probably open to negotiation.

I get occasionally wistful yearnings for a big French car. Once it was the Vel Satis (I know, a Renault!) now it's the C6. Trouble is, if I used it to get to work I'd spend a frustrating morning standing outside the house waiting for someone to address me as 'Monsieur le Président' and open the back door for me. Driving it myself might feel like an anticlimax.

The colour - or lack of it - is absolutely right. This is a car that has to be grey.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Fenlander
Be aware... Rowan Atkinson had one on trial for a week or two and decided not to bother... and he drives a Mini.
We could buy one as a communal car and pass it round...
yer
i shared a bottle of wine with the wife last week
had to drink hers to get to mine though as she was out
I wonder which embassy would buy a Citroen? France is an obvious possibility. Giveaways? Smell of Gitanes. CD by wotsername left in the player. Where else?
John
Former French African colony?
Algeria?
Ivoire
etc..

Could be a smaller European country which doesn't manufacture its own large cars.

Luxembourg, Monaco, Greece, Ireland, countries in Eastern Europe that were called something else when I was at school, countries in South America, former Soviet Union, etc etc.

Most countries in Eastern Europe were called "Russia" when you were at school. They now exist purely to get into the "Eurovision Song Contest".
John
...They now exist purely to get into the "Eurovision Song Contest"...

Gotcha.

Have you ever considered running for high office?

Foreign Secretary might suit.

I like a minister who doesn't over-complicate things.
I have scruples, morals and other impediments. I got in enough trouble as a consultant. :-)

John
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - WillDeBeest
I've got a Carla Bruni CD so I'm ahead already. It's not very good but that isn't really the point, is it? Mrs Beest won't let me play it in the house.
Is it due for a cambelt change one wonders, or is the engine chaindriven?

One can imagine at least a couple of heavy-duty belts with long, complicated runs, buried under a lot of coolant, steering and brake fluid hoses, fragile plastic covers and even more fragile small electronic components scattered about among a spider's web of tiny, fragile wires.... God I hate modern cars when you have to get down and dirty with them. Never got the hang of being down and clean. I suspect it's an illusion anyway.

Perhaps that is all just an anxious fantasy and the real thing is bulletproof and simple like a turbocharged Pinto engine, Sierra Cosworth as it were.
i always understood that when you had to get down and dirty on a sitroan was the time to get rid
have things improved then AC?
i always recount my fingers after getting down on them as razor blades they are

>> i always understood that when you had to get down and dirty on a sitroan was the time to get >> rid
>> have things improved then AC?

They must have got worse because they have for all other makes, and British greasemonkeys always griped about the 'difficulty' of Citroens long before they became difficult in the modern manner.

I don't do anything heavy along those lines any more. I use a good independent mechanic. So in my case these days that sort of thing translates into money as a rule. I don't think my Aussie mechanic friend would smile at the sight of a C6 although he would deal with one. Not many things he won't deal with. He's honest too, like gold dust chap like that. But a cambelt change in a C6 V6 diesel might cost a pretty penny at the main dealer, so it would still be expensive. A lot of cars just are.
belt driven I think..

www.rapidonline.com/1/1/18434-diesel-engine-setting-locking-kit-2-7-td-v6-belt-drive.html

Change at 105k miles. I think....

Picture in a L Rover.. scroll down for piccie..
www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic35915.html
Last edited by: madf on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 16:29
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - nyx2k
i so want one of these.
either a late x300 xj or a c6. might even go for the petrol versions if they are cheaper.

i want a big luxobarge to waft around in .

wadda you think at an old xm instead
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - corax
Things must be going downhill. madf, Renault critic extraordinaire, wants a C6. Amazing what a few seductive curves can do. Now, imagine that shape with Japanese mechanicals.

Dream on...
Last edited by: corax on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 17:05
Don't bother with an XM. At least the C6 uses a data bus system for its electric so you won't have all the wiring the XM had.

In fact I don't think I have seen a single XM in the past five years.
Old XM?
Unless immaculate and a full rebuild, you need a tame mechanic and loadsofmoney. Citroen used Mickey Mouse to design the wiring on the Mark1s and everything failed . The Mark2s were better but by then they were doomed. The digital displays fail.. but that's the least of your worries.

With a turning circle of 11.6 metres, barge country... Multi storey car parks? A Joke!

Two on Autotrader under £1k...

See a few in Congleton - immaculate... driven by elderly. Those are the ones to buy...
Last edited by: madf on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 17:09
maybe a v6 c5 then
You should read the Citroen forums and then lie down for a day until the feeling goes.

I thought of buying an immaculate C5 with fsh.. and then looked at the bills. The car was beautiful but on average each service was costing over £500 by the time you added in consumables etc.

that's a shame.
maybe a 7series or ls400
I looked at LS400. Wonderful car. And very reliable. Just watch out for the cost of tyres and exhausts... (£1000ssssss) and belt changes every 60k miles. (It's a diy job taking a day). And front suspension bushes. And worn front disks... But 400k milers not unknown.

BMW 7 series? Watch electrics..
Last edited by: madf on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 17:34
ive been looking for a 1980's sharknose 7series but they are getting very rare now.
maybe a merc of some sort.
i wonder if its possible to get a big old reliable barge for around 1k
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Skoda
>> i wonder if its possible to get a big old reliable barge for around 1k

It's the number of things that could go wrong. These things are loaded to the gunwhales with toys, gadgets and all sorts. My 2000 7er holds it's own gadget wise with any modern car and exceeds the spec of a brand new 3 series SE by quite a margin.

Actual servicing (brakes, suspension, gearbox, engine) can be done without any balaclavas or sawn off shotguns. It's cheaper than most would think, and if you try, it can be done a lot cheaper while only using quality parts.

If non service items break (i dunno, seat heater, Xenon control module... something that should last the life of the car, the toys & gadgets above) your only source is either the online scrappies or the dealer. Neither are shy when it comes to invoicing rare parts.

You buy them on the idea they wont go wrong though, and these types of car tend to be very well made, so they don't break.

Nothing but pleasure, even the 1 dummy it did spit out the pram was a pleasure to fix and a 10th of the cost it might have been.

Turbine smooth wafting settling into a whisper silent cruise at 80mph in your favourite oversized leather armchair atop a magic carpet with plenty of oomph still eagerly waiting under the right foot.

Canny beat it*.

* Lend it to someone else when it needs taking to see the petrol man though :-)
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - DP
>> ive been looking for a 1980's sharknose 7series but they are getting very rare now.

My uncle actually had a 732i until a couple of years ago. It was his first 'proper' car which he bought in the mid 90's. Eventually, it got too expensive to run as a daily driver, so he bought a Mazda 323, but couldn't bring himself to sell the Beemer. He put it under a tarp in the garden with the promise of doing the few bits it needed by that point, and keeping it as a toy. Needless to say it never happened, and it rotted under the tarp for about a decade. By which time the tin worm had done its stuff, and it was beyond salvation
Anyway, the point to this story is that after 10 years in the garden, we pumped up the tyres, put a gallon of fresh fuel in the tank, stuck a charged battery on it, and after about 10 seconds of cranking, she fired up. Into D, and she pulled out of the drive and onto the scrap man's trailer under her own steam. Sounded blinkin' lovely as well.
It's the only time I've ever seen my uncle cry.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 20:38
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Rob81
My XM was actually pretty reliable. There were a few electrical issues but it was unbelievably comfortable and was enormous (the estate). I still miss it but couldn't cope with the MPG of the petrol turbo automatic.

A C6 at under 10k is very tempting but I doubt I'll ever be in a position to run such a car.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - DP
I love the C6 and at that price, it's very tempting. I wonder if you'd need the same again to run it for three years though.

SWMBO has just walked past the computer while I was looking at the Autotrader ad. Her exact words: "What the HELL is that? It's HIDEOUS!"

Women, eh? ;-)
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Bagpuss
I've driven a C6 V6 diesel and was very disappointed with it. Very nice seats but the dashboard looks and feels like it was made from egg boxes. The engine is very smooth - there's a reason Jaguar use it - but the biggest let down was the ride. It's more square wheeled Audi than magic carpet at low speeds though it gets smoother at higher speed. I drove it in France and found it very harsh on the cobbled streets around the North of Paris.

Of course the handling is much better than you expect from a big Citroen but I was looking forward to a smooth ride and the door handles scraping the road when cornering, neither of which happens. Now the C5 V6 diesel is a whole different story, that is one hell of a car.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Netsur
Just going to say that. Interior very low rent. A Lexus of similar age far more desirable.
i hate people who crush dreams
im going to scweem and scweem now
until i make myself sik
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - jamesh764
I bought a 2007 C6 six months ago, and was really pleased that it was £25k less than a new one. It's quite depressing to see that it has continued to depreciate at the rate of a grand a month. However, this is the first car I've owned where I don't aspire to own anything else, so I will probably keep it until it falls to bits.

Depreciation aside, it's still quite an expensive car to run - I pay £800 a year in insurance, £425 in road tax, and it's averaged 32mpg over the 11000 miles I've driven in it.

The front tyres are getting low on tread, and they're over £200 each. Servicing is every 20k, and I have no idea how much this will cost. Main dealer services on my previous Citroens have cost anywhere from £250 to £900.

The cambelt is due for a change at 160k or 10 years.
>>>i hate people who crush dreams

Never let one man's opinion crush a personal dream!

If you wanted to experience a C6 then it is probably more telling that the Citroen used network now has one under £10K. You have the benefit it would be serviced to date and not need another for a year, history 100% checked and a full year's warranty with the same quibble free cover as a new Citroen.... even a 30 day exchange if it really wasn't for you.

At least then you're taking no chances in the first year other than the rate of depreciation.

I think the interiors look great in full cream leather but less impressive in the black part leather which is little different to my C5.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Boxsterboy
I can't see the original ad, but Car Giant have a 57-plate 2.7 Diesel Auto Exclusive with just 20,600 on the clock for £12,390, in a nice dark grey with beige interior. Nice.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - mikeyb
I kep having a leaning towards the C6, but already have a C5. Some have said to me that the C5 is better in most respects including interior quality so I keep thinking I should leave the C6 as a dream!

Also noticed in autoexpress that Citroen sold a whole 56 examples of the C6 in the last 12 months....
ive spoken to a local dealer this morning who have a v6 petrol c6 petrol in top spec with only 19k on the clock and 3 1/2 yers old.
they want 13k for it but when i said i waqs interested but wanted something close to 10k £ they said to call in and they would try hard to make it worth my time. sounds desperate or just good sales.. i dont know.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - Dave_
Go for it nyx2k, as Jamesh764 says above it's losing a grand a month. The dealer would much rather you lose it than they do!

Remember your best weapon is to walk back out the door with your money...
If it's at a Citroen main dealer I'd go and have a sniff round for sure.
ive bought a c4grand picasso and a c3 piccaso off them in the last 2yrs from new so the salesman remmebered me.

my wife thinks i should get an xj, the last aluminium ones with the diesel engine or the v6 petrol.
i think i'll look at some as the jag/aston martin dealer are just near the citroen garage
I am working on the basis of waiting for a £5k price.. some time next year I think...
if they were 5k id buy one and hope it didnt die on me but for 5k its worth the risk
>> Also noticed in autoexpress that Citroen sold a whole 56 examples of the C6 in
>> the last 12 months....
>>

And what's the betting they were all 'bought' by Citroen?

It's a shame that such an attractive and adventurous car hasn't had better success. I drove one, and it offered a genuine alternative to the 'sporty' feel that all cars must have these days for fear of being castigated by the journalists (although to their credit Top Gear praised it).

I think the problem is more the 'image' thing as they make a far better limo than a conventionally suspended car.
after doing a bit of digging as a freind works next door in hte peugeot garage the c6 has been in the sales lot for 6months.
How fatuous it is to encourage brainless citizens to engage in anti-social behaviour by faffing at people smoking in the open air. I hope so many are killed by irate victims keen to show what real anti-social behaviour is like that these particular brainless citizens will get some brains or become extinct.

Oh dear. How embarrassing. This has appeared in the wrong thread. Anti-social of me I know.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 3 Feb 11 at 14:58
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - hillman1
I think it is a real shame they haven't sold better. I remember seeing the original Lignage concept at the British Motor Show in about 2000 and it was absolutely stunning- if Citroen had dared to bring it out as it was I think it would have sold better- the C6, to me, looks a little too quirky.

Having said that I still can't help staring it them when I see them!
>> after doing a bit of digging as a friend works next door in the Peugeot
>> garage the c6 has been in the sales lot for 6months.
>>
>>> thats a mere whisper of time for a car of this quality sir----
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - mikeyb
>> And what's the betting they were all 'bought' by Citroen?
>>

Hadn't considered that, but I guess the sales figures were based on registrations rather than physical sales.

Do you recon there were 56 managers in slough who were "entitled" to one....
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Feb 11 at 18:58
im going to have a look at it friday so will see how it goes.
im going to bargain very hard and see how far i go.
its either this or a mint xj at 3yrs old
There may be 14 who were entitled every 3 months. My Xantia was an ex Slough management car with (iirc) just over 2,000 miles on the clock when I bought it. It did me fine for 5 - 6 years.
John
Yep, my Mum's still very happy with her 15-year old ex-Citroen management Xantia estate, bought when just 6 months old.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - updated 2014 under £5k - madf
Updated an old thread. Car Mechanics have a 4 page spread this month on buying one.

Unsurprisingly you need deep pockets when things go wrong...

The 3.0 diesel is the one to go for apparently (none on Autotrader)..

15 cars for sale on Autotrader... about 3% of all sold in the U K.. tinyurl.com/p3p9omq

And one unhappy owner on Parkers tinyurl.com/nhguxhv
Last edited by: madf on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 11:27
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - updated 2014 under  - Zero

>> And one unhappy owner on Parkers tinyurl.com/nhguxhv

A greedy little sod who was dazzled by the price. Did he not consider, for one moment, why it was so cheap?
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under �£10k - updated 2014 und - madf
I thought he was a moron who did not drive the car before he bought it....
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under ���£10k - updat - No FM2R
>>I thought he was a moron

I dunno, he seemed ok. The review was a little bitter about Citroen, but seemingly fair from his perspective, he did like some stuff.

I have no idea about current car prices, so I don't know if the price should have been a red flag or not.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under £10k - updated 2014 under  - rtj70
>> The 3.0 diesel is the one to go for apparently (none on Autotrader)..

I thought the diesel was 2.7 litres. The 3.0 V6 was a petrol engine. Or did they release a 3.0 V6 diesel later?

I would certainly not buy one of these. Bound to go wrong.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 12:23
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under �£10k - updated 2014 und - madf
It was the later model used with Jaguar and LR
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under ���£10k - updat - Mike Hannon
I may have mentioned above that a friend of mind had a 3.0 V6 C6 new, four or five years ago, paid for by his company of course. He's always had big Cs and Pugs. Sure enough, eventually, he had a lot of trouble with it. He's a wealthy man (owns a chateau and vineyard as a hobby) so cost wasn't the issue, it was just that he drives all over Europe and doesn't want complication. He decided that he was finished with Citroen and is now happy with his Audi A7.
Incidentally, they are like hens' teeth over here too. You see the occasional one on cab duty but that's about it. I think Sarkozy still uses one - maybe they are due for a comeback...
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under Ã���Ã�ï - Boxsterboy
The C6 that started this thread (ex-diplomat) was undoubtedly owned/used by the French Embassy. When I cycled past there last night I see that the embassador now has to put up with a lowly C5 (registration FRA1). He's one embassador who certainly is not spoilt!
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under ���� - Armel Coussine
Never seen a big Citroen I didn't like. Every DS variant was terrific.

I know I've posted this several times over the years, but I once got a lift into Paris from Orly from a TV crew on the aircraft (and indeed lately in the African country we were all returning to Europe from). The car that came to collect them was from their network, a black DS23 estate. With six adults counting the driver, and what seemed like half a ton of luggage and equipment piled on the rear boot platform, the thing was doing 100mph as soon as it hit the autoroute and was in the middle of Paris in very short order.

C5 is a good motor but not very elegant. Pity the C6 has this reputation for unreliable over-complexity. Perhaps as time goes on the model will have improved. Not for the poor though because the petrol V6 is obviously the best variant.
>> a black DS23 estate.

On reflection I think it must have been an XM. Transverse engine, capacious aerodynamic box at the back end. Sorry, don't like to misinform.
 Citroen - Citroen C6 - under ���� - Mike Hannon
There was a Renault Vel Satis parked outside the bar yesterday. That's nearly as rare here.
>> On reflection I think it must have been an XM.

It was of course. I don't know if the XM was a good car in the practical sense, but it was very capacious and capable. I think the French TV crew one was a petrol 2.4.

At about that time the Lyon fuzz, who have big motorways to police, got a couple of special XMs with engines bored out to nearly 3 litres, ported, balanced and all the rest, to pursue bad guys on the autoroutes. One of those might be interesting, if only one had the back-up resources (ex-racing or rally mechanics and so on) of the Lyon Gendarmerie to fettle the thing and keep it going.
Latest Forum Posts