Motoring Discussion > Old codger's car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

Old codger's car - Ambo

Can anyone please recommend a car for local driving for an 83-year-old friend? He is not too worried about the cost but wants the best available for access (hence a low sill), headroom and general ease of operation, automatic or manual. He lives in a remote area with no bus service so depends very much on his own transport. The Toyota Yaris used to be favourite for older drivers but the new Chevrolet Spark might answer.
 Old codger's car - RattleandSmoke
The Fiat Panda might be ideal. Reliable, simple, comfortable, easy to get into, cheap etc.
 Old codger's car - Ian (Cape Town)
Go large.
At 83, his days of motoring are numbered.
Cost no option - get that Jag you've always wanted!
 Old codger's car - -
Does he want new or happy with used.

I found one of the nicest cars to drive, smooth ride and easy access was the Citroen C3 SX with proper auto box, highish VED, but it's one of the nicest roomiest small car drives. A nice example on Ebay classifieds 110643912810

Don't let the chap get sucked into an automated manual whatever you do.
 Old codger's car - -
Timed out and forgot to finish.

If he wants new, job to beat Yaris, nicer with the bigger engine, only spoiled IMO because not offered as far as i'm aware with a proper auto box...if it was it would be The car for this market, 5 year warranty too now.

The Spark and it's like may look modern and no doubt drive fine, but for an older chap the lack of all round visibility might be unpleasant, i don't like these designs meself for this reason and i'm far from this chaps years.

Mazda 2 is quite pleasant all round, much easier to use than Fiesta IMO.
 Old codger's car - Bellboy
if he wants s/h tell him to buy stus wagon r as they are ideal to slide in and out of with a flat cap still on
 Old codger's car - Dog
In a mawmunt uv prihde (aw conceit, lihke!)

'E thowt "Ba gum, dosta knaw,

'Appun Ah shood tehke oop yon pen

'N' trieh 'n' mehke oop sum maw.

Old codger's car - devonite
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 - you can nearly fall into them standing up, so no bending or stooping, optional 4wd for his rural use, 1.3 so nice and economical, and suprisingly. quite nice to drive!
 Old codger's car - jamesh764
The Citroen C6 would be ideal.

It has height adjustable seats and suspension for ease of getting in and out. Front and rear parking sensors with a handy coloured diagram help with manoevering. Excellent brakes and a pop up bonnet to catch pedestrians help make up for the slower reaction times of the more experienced motorist.
 Old codger's car - Bill Payer
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Honda Jazz yet - surely the standard car for the OP's spec!

And they've just put the CVT auto back in it.
 Old codger's car - MD
>> Suzuki Jimny 1.3 - you can nearly fall into them standing up, so no bending
>> or stooping, optional 4wd for his rural use, 1.3 so nice and economical, and suprisingly.
>> quite nice to drive!
>>
28-30 mpg manual 2007 model
Auto's very thirsty. I should know.
 Old codger's car - Rob81
Suzuki Wagen R?! Ideal for old and young alike...
 Old codger's car - Ambo
Many thanks for all of the above suggestions, which I will put to the potential buyer.
Latest Forum Posts