Motoring Discussion > Why 155 MPH limit? Legal Questions
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 8

Why 155 MPH limit? - movilogo
Why many high performance cars are limited to 155 MPH electronically?

155 MPH = 250 km/h => is this a just psychological number?

Why 155 MPH limit? - Dave_
Because the car's steering, braking and suspension systems would have to be much heavier-duty to cope with the higher speed capability. This would make them uncomfortably heavy to use at normal speeds (where the car would spend >99% of the time). Also the tyres would have to be a much stronger compound, which would make the ride too uncomfortable at low speeds.

>>Is this just a psychological number?

Yes, probably, there has to be a cut-off somewhere and that's about the limit of what can be achieved and still provide decent driving characteristics at low speed at the moment.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Fri 19 Mar 10 at 13:48
 Why 155 MPH limit? - RattleandSmoke
I think its actually a EU law covering this, if the car goes faster then as Dave says by law it would have to be fitted with heavier duty stuff. Personaly I don't see why any road car should have a top speed of anything like 155mph.
 Why 155 MPH limit? - henry k
I always understood it was an informal agreement.

WIKI says
German manufacturers initially started the "gentlemen's agreement", electronically limiting their vehicles to a top speed of 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph), since such high speeds are more likely on the Autobahn. This was done to reduce the political willpower to introduce a legal speed limit.

Today, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz limit their production cars to 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph). Certain quattro GmbH and AMG cars, and the Mercedes/McLaren SLR are exceptions. The BMW Rolls-Royces are limited to 240 kilometres per hour (149 mph). Jaguars, although British, also have a limiter. As do the Swedish Saab and Volvo on cars where it is necessary.
 Why 155 MPH limit? - Zero
The cars were limited to 155 MPH after a gentlemans agreement between BMW and MB, to ward off the threat of EU legislation.

It has nothing to do with steering, braking or tyres, all of the cars limited to 155mph are designed to be capable of much more (becuase many owners have the limit removed - specially in the middle east)
 Why 155 MPH limit? - Dave_
>> many owners have the limit removed - specially in the middle east

I've seen the pictures on wreckedexotics.com.
 Why 155 MPH limit? - Zero
yeah, a 190mph crash is really messy
 Why 155 MPH limit? - BobbyG
That reminds me I used to get an email every week from wrecked exotics but haven't for several months now!

Wonder if they were maybe changing their website operators ... :)
 Why 155 MPH limit? - Armel Coussine
Isn't the VW Phaeton/Bentley W12 supposed to keep up an indefinite 190 without getting flustered?

You'd need an appropriate rat run for that of course. I wonder where it is?
Latest Forum Posts