Motoring Discussion > Budget vs expensive tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 22

Budget vs expensive tyres - movilogo
What is the difference between budget tyres and expensive tyres?

Are budget tyres unsafe?
 Budget vs expensive tyres - RattleandSmoke
There can be a big difference the problem is you won't find out until its too late.

Tyres is the one area I will not skimp on. It dosn't mean I will always buy the most expensive premium brands, brands like Kumho are perfectly fine but I will not ever ever buy the cheap ones like Tigar or Wanli. In fact Which has warned people not to buy them as they performed so badly in their tests.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Arctophile
>> What is the difference between budget tyres and expensive tyres?

About £30 a corner. :-)
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Zero
The lancer came with a new pair of Accelera Beta tyres (with a directional tread pattern) on the fronts. They seem ok, great in the snow.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Bellboy
kumho ARE budget tyres
message ends.........................................
 Budget vs expensive tyres - henry k
>> kumho ARE budget tyres
>> message ends.........................................
>>

Well then, better tell Mazda that.
elmonstre.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mazda-furai.jpg
 Budget vs expensive tyres - madf
My Yaris came with 2 budget tyres and I have been trying to wear them out. Despite 20k miles they still have 5mm tread. And they were acceptable in snow : or rather I kept going where everyone else did not.

Goodyear something or other £32 each fitted...
how many people do you know own a batmobile henry k?
cant imagine michelin keen on setting a mould up for a one off for gotham city can you ;-)
Up to Michelin if they do not want their tyres on show models.

Kumho "budget tyres" .... .. are the original tyres mounted on a car models from Chevrolet, Chrysler, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi, Smart, Ssangyong and Volkswagen.

I assume Blackcircles are correct.

There appear to be reports indicating they seem to match or surpass some top priced tyres.

www.lombardtyres.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=39

I read lots of reports before I bought my set and I agree with many who say they are quiet which is an added bonus.
i think you are getting taken in by wordspeak henry
i used kumhos for years ,certainly long before they were oe
they are budget tyres
>>they are budget tyres
>>
I view them as budget priced tyres.
I think things have moved on if their wide spread of motor sport involvment is a guide.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Lygonos
Kumho/Hankook/Falken are 'budget' tyres as they have a relatively poor image, but they are all generally good tyres.

Michelin can charge £50 more per tyre as a result of perceived superiority.

The Chinese no-name brands are complete pfd biscuits however in the wet and should be illegal - they really are that bad.

In the dry there is not a lot to choose between brands (typically 3-5% performance differences between best/worst in test cf. 20+% in the wet from various journo tests).

Vredestein are invariably well thought of in comparison tests yet are 'mid-range' price wise.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 19 Mar 10 at 21:56
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Marc
I've got a colleague who always buys Kumho tyres - he's pleased. They also get favourable reviews around the internet - the Ecsta IIRC. Never had them myself though.

Difference between a budget and an expensive tyre is surely the amount of money the company ploughs into R&D.

Having said that, a lot of budget tyres are actually subsiduary brands of the main players these days and are used in order to gain a bigger overall market share. Probably best to research the particular budget brand you are interested in.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - swiss tony
Having said that a lot of budget tyres are actually subsiduary brands of the main
>> players these days and are used in order to gain a bigger overall market share.
>> Probably best to research the particular budget brand you are interested in.
>>
Exactly!

And the budget tyre are often simply a 're-badged' top brand tyre from a generation or 2 ago, i.e. exactly the tyre your paid top price for 3-4 years ago.

That said some are not..... as Marc said research!
somebody i know who used to make remoulds had all the old xzx patterns
he had to take the michelin tag out of the mould both sides and put his remould company name in there thats all he did-a
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Dog
I recently purchased 4 new tyres for my Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo,
cleverly disguised as a Nissan Almera.
I considered all makes and models of said boots, including Continental, Vredestein etc., etc.
I finally settled upon Falken Ziex from Blackcircles, which are a mid-range tyre btw - not budget.
I am 100% satisfied with these tyres, and would purchase them again.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - idle_chatterer
Many might consider me profligate but I always buy quality makes with a preference for Michelin and now Bridgestone, I tend to match the OEM fitment if I can. I've found Pirellis don't last as long as Michelins or Bridgestones though.

If you shop around you can usually get good deals. Tyres are the only thing which keep you on the road and travelling in the direction you wish to travel (or facilitate stopping) so any economy is (imho of course) a false economy.

I'm sure that there are plenty of good quality mid-range alternatives and a little research on Google / Which etc will inform your purchase.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Zero
>> I recently purchased 4 new tyres for my Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo
>> cleverly disguised as a Nissan Almera.

yeah, I have a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Zero.

It upset the lad a lot. He scoffs at my car and I point out to him that the side skirts are EXACTLY the same ones as those on an evo.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Runfer D'Hills
I have a Mondeo and Nigel Mansell won at least one race in the BTCC in a Mondeo. His was the older model too so mine must be even better...........

So there.......Pthzzzzzzz.
 Budget vs expensive tyres - MrTee43
I seem to recall that he crashed quite heavily in one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9xM_ITjWU

That'll learn him to use cheap tyres !
Last edited by: MrTee43 on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 19:17
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Runfer D'Hills
Understeered by the looks. Prob'ly put the new ones on the back.........
:-)
 Budget vs expensive tyres - Stuartli
Some help:

www.tiptop-tyres.co.uk/who_makes_which_tyre.html

www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp
 Budget vs expensive tyres - spamcan61
Interesting links, although the top one needs updating a bit, Nokia Corp. sold its remaining interest in Nokia Tyres a few years back.
Latest Forum Posts