Motoring Discussion > 50th Dragon Rally. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

50th Dragon Rally. - R.P.
Just back from the 50th Dragon Rally - excellent 24 hours had by all - 1500 motorcyclists (limited by ticket only) attended for a good natured ride to Snowdonia, a camp, a few beers and an attempt at sleeping.

Beddgelert's meagre pub supply were full to bursting - no trouble seen, no Police about everyone had proper pint glasses - no rip off prices (Campsite beer was 2.75p for a pint of Purple Moose beer) - weather was fine when I set out for my 15 mile trip but turned nasty overnight - came home only slightly damp - but due to good kit was plenty warm enough.

My first one since 1987....really enjoyed it - I need to sleep now though. More here:-

www.dave-cushman.net/misc/dragonrally.html
 50th Dragon Rally. - Mike Hannon
Coo...
I remember the Dragon from the mid-60s. All the big heroes there had BMW/Steib outfits and the like. We were just kids!
Plenty of "outfits" there yesterday, loads of Beemers of all ages including a 1150GS outfit. Bloke that was part of out mob had an Ural....("Just bang it in reverse and I'll get out no problems !")
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 13 Feb 11 at 15:07
 50th Dragon Rally. - Ted

I saw a Urinal type bike with a Steib lookalike parked in a disabled bay at Asda a couple of years ago. Unusually, the bike and sidecar were a lovely crimson red. It was mint, probably brand new.

Might have been a Cossack or a Dniepr, though.
Glad you enjoyed the event...not been since 60s...didn't see Mike there, though !

Ted
There was a very smart Ural with a Steib-lookalike chair parked outside our bar in Oradour-sur-Glane a few weeks ago. I had a chat with the rider - a woman! Maybe that's why it had heated handgrips...
 50th Dragon Rally. - Armel Coussine
>> no trouble seen, no Police about everyone had proper pint glasses

'The Tame One'. How disappointing.

:o}
 50th Dragon Rally. - Ted

Born to be mild !

Ted
 50th Dragon Rally. - Iffy
...Born to be mild !...

But not to drink it, I hope.

50th Dragon Rally. - Ted

Nowt wrong wi' mild, lad.

Rebel without a brain !

Ted
 50th Dragon Rally. - Iffy
...Nowt wrong wi' mild, lad...

I began pub drinking in Worcestershire where mild was quite popular, although I think its heartland was a bit further north in the Black Country.

There were lots of stories about what went into the mild, none of which, if true, encouraged you to drink it.
 50th Dragon Rally. - Zero
>> I began pub drinking in Worcestershire where mild was quite popular, although I think its
>> heartland was a bit further north in the Black Country.

Not at all. My first adult brew in the pub (I think I was 15) was pints of Brown & Mild.

Cant remember who the mild was made by but the brown was always Manns Brown Ale.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 13 Feb 11 at 19:53
Strangely - there was a conversation last night about the lack of mild in pubs these days - an old school buddy used to drink it from an early age - he went far.

PS

The package arrived Zeddo - thanks !
 50th Dragon Rally. - Armel Coussine
Most pubs used to have it when I was young, but Londoners didn't drink it much and it died out years ago. I do remember other parts of the country where it was the popular old-worker's tipple.

In hot weather mild and bitter is a very satisfying brew if the two ingredients are decent (a big if). Bitter alone is too strong and mild alone is too warm and soupy. The mixture, when you strike lucky, can be just right for quenching a raging thirst.
Pint of mix please - when was the last time you heard that being asked for..?

Or a "Black an tan please"
 50th Dragon Rally. - Harleyman
There are various types of mild too, not all of them dark in colour.

IIRC Sam Smiths used to sell a 4X mild which was almost the same colour as their bitter; I think Banks' did too.

Mild doesn't necessarily have to be low-strength either, Coach house Brewery's "Gunpowder Mild" was a favourite of mine when I lived in Nottingham. Talking about "a pint of mix", that brings back some Nottingham memories; mild and bitter was known by that name, used to drink that in Home Brewery pubs because the bitter on its own was vile!

ISTR that "light and bitter" was a favourite drink in London.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 13 Feb 11 at 21:37
 50th Dragon Rally. - Ted
Mild was my drink in the 60s. I always found some bitters a little acidic for my tastes.

The Stockport brewery, Robinsons, was not a good drink for me although their bitter now is really good.

The brewery which served a llot of the city centre was Chesters...later to become Threlfalls.
Their ' Fighting mild ' was a much loved drink...especially by the Irish lads as it led into a good barney after a dozen or so pints ! This usually ended in a little light 'police assault '
which was ably rewarded in the cells. Fortunately, the officer had usually had a couple of pimts in the Abercrombie, next door to the nick, before booking on.

Bitter, in those days, gave me a headache but I was fine on mild. I still like a pint or two if I can find it in a pub.

Ted

>> The package arrived Zeddo - thanks !

Excellent, I though you were pulling my leg, there really is a place called Vomit in Wales then.

>> Cant remember who the mild was made by but the brown was always Manns Brown
>> Ale.

And much to my surprise, discovered you can still get Manns Brown Ale on the shelf at Asda.
 50th Dragon Rally. - jc2
Most places(those with Mild anyway) understand M & B!
My family was (still is) in the licensed trade. Used to say the contents of the ullage trough went back in the mild barrel.
Of course, that was Somerset, where mild wasn't really appreciated.
 50th Dragon Rally. - bathtub tom
There's usually a selection of milds at CAMRA beer festivals. I'll have one or two. They can be very tasty.
Well the 54th came and went yesterday....one night spent in a field off the A5 - cold - frozen condensation on the inside of the tent but thoroughly enjoyable - beer was a bit iffy but I don't drink much anymore. Plenty did though. No Police to hassle us on either day. A good day out with bikers who'd braved an awful winter on the continent from as far away as Poland and the Czech Republic...including a mad Austrian on a Monkey Bike.

The only blot on the landscape for three of us there was the absence of a stalwart and friend Arthur Jones of Denbigh who was found dead in Crete this year. We raised a glass to him, and muttered a few "what would Arthur be saying/doing now ?"

www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/arthur-jones-missing-denbigh-man-7384917
Took the Majesty this time...never off roaded a maxi-Scooter but it handled the mud and ice well. Came home to a fried brunch....feel sleepy now...must be the mountain air....Zzzzzzz
 55th Dragon Rally. - R.P.
Where does the time go. Taking the Scooter again (relegated to local and winter hack) - weather seems half decent blue sky, slightly windy though. Why the hell do I do this ? Unshaven for three days to fit in.

Bike fleet under review. GS goes for MoT next week, the Scoot may not be suitable for the commute...but we'll see. Triumph will be fitted with a Scott Oiler for the Spring/Summer runs to work - must say looking forward. Not ridden for a few months, mainly weather related. I think the last trip anywhere was in November. Been a couple of days I could have commuted - days getting longer now so hopefully.....
 55th Dragon Rally. - Pat
It must be something in the air.

Every day the sun shines at the moment, Ian is itching to get Bertha out for work but the following morning there is a frost!

Pat
 55th Dragon Rally. - Runfer D'Hills
Well, I hope you're having a good time. We're just a hop skip and a jump from North Wales and its bright and sunny but freeeeeeeezing this morning. Can't be too smug though, we are going out on the mountain bikes shortly. It'll be cold but worth it once the old bones loosen off and we get into the forest.
Latest Forum Posts