Motoring Discussion > Frost Got My Pressure Washer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 5

Frost Got My Pressure Washer - Robbie34
I got out the pressure washer from the garage to wash down the car. When I got it going water came out from the inner workings and there was hardly any pressure.

There is a notice on the top "Protect From Frost." I can only assume that frost has damaged the motor. How does one drain the thing after use? Disconnect the water supply and let the motor run for a time?

Fortunately, I have another old washer that I haven't used for years, but it doesn't have an automatic stop when you release the trigger on the lance. I used this and filled the container with Kew car and caravan cleaner. I read the instructions for using Kew for the first time. It said to cover the car with the foam and leave for three or four minutes, then wash off. Previously, I have sponged down the car almost immediately. Following the instructions, I was amazed to see a sparkingly clean car without the need to use a bucket and sponge.
 Frost Got My Pressure Washer - Old Navy
It is the pump that is damaged by frozen water, I always run mine for a few seconds with the pipes disconnected after use to empty the pump, but still dont let it freeze. My Son in Law recently bought a new model Karcher washer which has a water cooled motor, if it is one of these the motor could be damaged.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 15:32
 Frost Got My Pressure Washer - Skoda
Welcome to snow foam.

Actually i'm not a big fan of snow foam anymore, but it's hard to beat in the current weater. Apply first before pressure rinse for best results (i was doing the other way around, rinse then foam).

The pump and motor assembly is often one part, which bumps replacement cost up. You could call the manufacturer to enquire but i suspect it'll be a chuck it away job.

Ebay the old PW's lance for a couple of quid.
 Frost Got My Pressure Washer - BobbyG
Can these liquids / snow foams be used from any pressure washer?

I have one of the Aldi or Lidl yellow and black ones that look like K'Archer and it has a tub on the back of it for liquids. But any time I have tried it with the patio detergent type things, it seems to just drain them very quickly?
 Frost Got My Pressure Washer - Skoda
>> Can these liquids / snow foams be used from any pressure washer?

Pretty much. You need to use a daft attachment for the lance though, the soap bottles they supply as accessories don't work as well with snow foam.

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

^^ that's the thing

Then whack an inch of this in the bottle, a capful of shampoo (no wax) and fill with hot water -->

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/valet-pro-ph-neutral-snow-foam/prod_500.html
 Frost Got My Pressure Washer - BobbyG
At that price, think I will give it a miss!!
Latest Forum Posts