Motoring Discussion > Pressure Washer Recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 39

Pressure Washer Recommendations - Robbie34
Following on from my previous post I am now looking for a decent pressure washer. Having looked at numerous reviews it seems that Karcher are not highly regarded - mine was a Karcher.

Bosch and Nilfisk are both highly praised, although there is a problem with the on/off switch on the Bosch Aquatek 1200 which is, apparently, very flimsy and falls off the machine.

Can anyone recommend a decent make with a good price - up to about £150?
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Stuu
Avoid Sealey, they are prone to oil leaks internally.

I use Karcher professionally, but I do take care of mine.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Skoda
There's a forum at www.detailingworld.co.uk that might be worth a look through. Bear in mind that there's a lot of newbies over there giddy with excitement (i count myself in that) so don't take single recommendations too strongly.

Unless you're doing lots of work with one, i think your budget's too high. Which is a good problem to have :-)

EDIT: I'm biased towards Nilfisk, they really are quite decent for the money. £150's not enough to get a decent second hand industrial unit so i'd stick to something with a good name & warranty.
Last edited by: Skoda on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 18:09
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Old Navy
I have a Karcher machine and have ot had any problems with it.

If you don't want Karcher there are a few here,

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categories/search/power-washers
Even if your doing lots of work with one, the budget is high. I buy the cheapest Karcher once a year at £50-70.
I used to buy them up to £250 in the early days, before I bought a cheapo one as an emergency and realised it lasted just as long and did 95% of the job that a biggun does.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Tooslow
I'm happy with my Halfords but it doesnt get a lot of use and make sure there's a special offer on. About half price sounds right!
John
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Kevin
>I buy the cheapest Karcher once a year at £50-70.

A cheap unit may be adequate for small jobs but it would take me a full day to clean my patio with one. They have enough pressure but the flowrate is relatively poor so you have to go over the same area multiple times.

I'm looking for a new one and I'm currently leaning towards the Bosch 1350 which retails around £140. It's rated at 135 bar and 500 l/h with a 2.4 KW motor. A plus point is that I can use my existing Karcher accessories with a small adapter.

Kevin...
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - CGNorwich
On the very few times I have had use for one have hired from the local tool hire shop. That way you get a professional quality piece of kit and you don't have something cluttering your garage for the rest of the year
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Injection Doc
my last Karcher lasted 10 years using it commercially and my present one is used for washing 4 cars every weekend, and patio cleaning and for the caravan and never had any reliability issues. I also have plumbed in an outside hot water tap with a short hose to the washer and my word it cleans really well using hot water. Brake dust just rolls off the wheels as an added bonus.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Iffy
...my word it cleans really well using hot water...

Yes, I think that's a trick missed by many car washers, whatever equipment they use.

I put a kettle of boiling water into the bucket when I'm doing the wheels.

Depends how good they are.

Hot water is dodgy going through the washer on cars you dont know as it can easily lift loose paint/laquer more so than cold water, hence safer bet is cold, but I use very warm water on my own cars.

How big is the patio? Mine cleans a paving stone with ease, no need for repeats. Also depends on what nozzle is on.
...How big is the patio?...

Are those T-racer dustbin lid attachments any good?

I really must do my back yard this year.

Pressure Washer Recommendations - Clk Sec
And don't forget the front step...
I favour a nozzle which gives a wide ( 6 inch ) spray, those always seem to cover the most ground the quickest. Those things which give a circular spray are next to useless.
...Those things which give a circular spray are next to useless...

Thanks Stu, I don't have one and they are quite dear to buy on their own, so I will not bother.

I wouldnt. I tried one once for washing a car, but after about 30 seconds I thought blow this, Im putting the old nozzle back on. Talk about hard work.

The extra long lance hose IS worth the extra as the standard length ones are never enough to even get around a car and the curl up easily. Im tight as when it comes to my work kit, but Im missing my extension terribly and Im going to buy one soon, back to easy days.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Oldgit
>> ...How big is the patio?...
>>
>> Are those T-racer dustbin lid attachments any good?
>>
>> I really must do my back yard this year.

The T-racer is excellent providing you buy the right one! I have the T-racer 100 (about £49 from Halfords). However this year I bought a new Karcher Pressure Washer K2.8 (IIRC) and that came with a T-racer T50 I believe but was basic and did not have a hinged water input connector and was completely useless and so dumped it after first removing the grey pressure nozzles (These are colour coded according to pressure output of the Karcher model).
My more deluxe T100 has grey nozzles (as opposed to black) but they have been damaged slightly, by catching them whilst cleaning raised slabs and not keeping the T-racer level.
...The T-racer is excellent providing you buy the right one! I have the T-racer 100 (about £49 from Halfords)...

oldgit,

Thanks for that, even if it has complicated my decision making process.

I was considering a B&Q brand cheapie racer for about £20, which I think will fit my Karcher.

I would be loathe to spend £50 on something that might only be used every couple of years, but I take your point that it would probably do a good job.

First thing will be to take my Karcher out of storage.

It's been outside - undercover - all winter, but judging by some of the threads on here, the freezing temperatures might have killed it.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Kevin
>How big is the patio?

It's about 600 sq ft and gets pretty grimy over the winter. The T-Racer attachment takes off the surface crud but doesn't touch the ingrained stuff so I have to use the high pressure lance. If you don't take it slowly with the high pressure lance it just leaves nice clean swirl marks.

There's also a 3 or 4 brick high wall between the patio and garden which attracts moss (it's in the shade most of the day).

It took 6hrs to clean it last time and another half day to remove and replace the loose mortar.

Kevin...
The worst aspect of using these pressure washers for cleaning patios etc. is the amount of muck they throw up and deposit it elsewhere such as on the walls and windows of your house and yourself!
This is minimised or eliminated almost entirely by using a good T-Racer providing it can remove the ingrained dirt.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - crocks
I bought a pressure washer a couple of years ago. Having seen just how slow it was cleaning a drive with a lance on a small washer I convinced myself something larger was required. Well then man-maths took over and I ended up with a Karcher K5.55 with a T200 T-Racer, bought for £200.

Using the lance it is so much faster than the small washer I borrowed from a neighbour previously but care needs to be taken to avoid taking the surface off the concrete. As Oldgit says above the worst aspect is the amount of muck thrown up.

The T-racer transforms the operation into something like running a hoover over the area. It is so much faster and less messy.

If I was buying again I would probably buy something more compact but would certainly include a good patio cleaner.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Alanovich
Are pressure washers good for brick driveways? Do they get engine oil stains up?

Also, are they good for getting moss off house bricks in general? My house has a north facing wall with a fair bit of thin green moss on it.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Zero
Why is everyone obsessed with having sparkling pristine new looking drives and patios? I think they stand out like sore thumbs, much prefer the toned down look of stuff thats aged, some natural organic patina.

As long as its not slippy and dangerous, then I just keep it brushed and weed free,
>> Why is everyone obsessed with having sparkling pristine new looking drives and patios? I think
>> they stand out like sore thumbs, much prefer the toned down look of stuff thats
>> aged, some natural organic patina.
>>
>> As long as its not slippy and dangerous, then I just keep it brushed and
>> weed free,
>>

Me too, a blast off in the spring to clear any debris the winter winds haven't shifted and it blends in well with its surroundings. (block paved drive, decking and paths out the back).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 12:45
...Are pressure washers good for brick driveways? Do they get engine oil stains up?...are they good for getting moss off house bricks in general?...

No and no and not bad would be the most popular answers.

I think the problem with brick drives is the pressure washer will blast out whatever is between the bricks, often sand.

Nothing to stop you spreading sand and sweeping it back into the gaps.

I don't think a pressure washer will do much to remove oil stains, but it will lift moss.

My back yard is solid concrete, so I have no problems with washing out mortar.

Using a pressure washer on a bricks and mortar wall is probably not a very good idea.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Alanovich
Thanks.
A neighbour nearby had his drive in and drive-out razy paved drive re-mortared a couple of years ago and I was never completely convinced that the bloke doing it used the correct mortar mix.
Recently I walked past his house and he had some 'professional' in who was using an industrial looking pressure washer cleaning the whole semi-circular drive. About a fortnight later I walked past again and looked aghast at this pristine drive with very little original mortar left. What there was was very fragemented and would easily brush out.

Be warned!!
It never occurred to me, but the pressure can be produced by petrol as well as electricity.

www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/RYOBI_Petrol_Engine_Pressure_Washer.html#aRYRPW_2d2200C
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - legacylad
I have a Stihl. Great piece of kit.
Always being borrowed by friends.
V useful for under wheel arches,and, using a different nozzle, great for cleaning extensive stone patios on mine and several other houses. I take great care not to dislodge the mortar twixt stone flagging as it is v powerful!!!
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - allewellin
8< snip. Self promotion of products not allowed here without prior permission
Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 14:08
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Dog
We're all Karcher Men (and Women) on ere, mostly ... so naff orf.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Dutchie
I have a cheepy Karcher works fine cleans the patio pavers with no problems.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Dutchie
inforamtion he don't spell good Dog.As bad as me.>:)
If you are not in any great rush for a T Racer type device, ALDI do one when they have pressure washers on sale, (probably in the spring). It comes with adapters for various makes of washer, sets of nozzles for different capacity washers, and a hinged handle. I use mine with a Karcher 5. something machine and it works well.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Dog
>>As bad as me.>:)<<

He's knot that bad Ducky.

:-D
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Bigtee
There all rubbish unless it's a diesel powered one built for the job.

Plastic cold water ones bin them.
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - CGNorwich
Inclined to agree. Used to have one but it didn't last long. Went back to hose pipe and brush for the car and a yard brush and detergent for the patio. More efficient and a lot less mess.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 15:26
My Karchers last about 2 years at the moment cleaning maybe 14 cars a week on average. They have become more long lasting in the last few years as they only used to last 6 months or so.

The two big killers are muffins that dont remove airlocks before turning them on and frost. When my current one is a year old I keep an eye out for deals on them and pick one up when I see a good discount. My current one I got in Tesco for £40, down from £80, had it 8 months before the old one blew up.

Just picked up a new Karcher wet/dry vac too as my other Karcher vac is approaching 7 years old now and I sense the motor is tired - £55 down from £111 at Homebase, cant be bad.
Last edited by: FoR on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 15:45
 Pressure Washer Recommendations - Robbie34
I eventually bought a Nilfisk washer. It's brilliant. I also bought a Snow Foam lance and associated bits from Ultimate Finish. Cleans the car brilliantly without any effort.
Latest Forum Posts