Motoring Discussion > Lidl Screenwash Problem? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 9

Lidl Screenwash Problem? - Skoda
I think Lidl's "Antifreeze" screen wash is causing my wiper blades to go stiff. Last filled up with a 2 parts water mix and i think it's likely be the cause for my blades now skipping on the screen, both front and rear are suffering.

Is anyone else noticing similar with it?
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - AnotherJohnH
I've been using their "-70⁰" screen wash for a few years now, and I haven't noticed the blades suffering.

I'm not sure I had it at 1:2 though, even during the worst of the cold spell.
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - jc2
Not just Lidl-any screenwash/de-icing spray with very high alcohol content will do the same and not just the wipers but older cars with rubber seals(modern are plastic) round the screen will also be affected.
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - Zero
Yeah, the alcohol is washing out the oils.

Change your blades and dilute your wash
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 10:35
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - Shiny
I use their -60˚ stuff at 50:50 and don't have a wiper problem, but then again, it's not like I'm using it that often anyway, maybe 5 litres of concentrate in 5 months. I even spray it on neat as a deicer using a spritzer. Maybe some blades are surceptable? I use 180˚ branded flat wipers from ebay.
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - Chris S
>> Yeah, the alcohol is washing out the oils.
>>

Lidl's screen wash actually contains alcohol?

When they first started there was a joke going around about them selling 'orange-flavoured drink.'
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - FotheringtonTomas
Nope. Mind you, I only recently replaced one wiper blade (October?). The other one's not very good anyway.

Oh - have your wipers been frozen recently? Getting ice off them can cause the blade to stretch in places. Also, the pivots may not be free.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Mon 21 Feb 11 at 09:54
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - bathtub tom
This thread's got me thinking my Lidl windscreen wipers didn't start juddering until I started using their washer anti-freeze.

I could fit the spare pair I've got in the shed - they were sold in pairs of different lengths, but because they didn't have the combination to fit mine I had to buy a pair of driver's side and a pair of passenger's side.
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - Tooslow
Interesting thread. I noticed my wipers juddering last weekend and they're less than 6 months old. I've got a strong screenwasher mix in the bottle, can't remember which brand.
John
 Lidl Screenwash Problem? - Skoda
Cheers for this guys, i wiped the blades last night with rubber & vinyl spray, left them to dry then wiped them with a clean cloth.

Syphoned off most of what was in the washer tank for later use and diluted the remainder in the tank to summer mixture levels.

Seems to have recovered. Lots of skooshing (deliberately so) and no stuttering. Happy with that.
Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 22 Feb 11 at 19:14
Latest Forum Posts