Motoring Discussion > Total servicing - a good deal? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 26

Total servicing - a good deal? - Iffy
A total maintenance package is available to owners of new cars.

Cost looks to be around £50-£60 a month for a family car, and it includes pretty much everything except fuel.

A good deal?

www.car-maintenance-package.co.uk/maintenance-package.php
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Perky Penguin
I was offered something similar by Ford but it wasn't nearly as comprehensive and, on my low mileage, cost a lot more than paying for servicing once a year.

I am guessing, at these prices, that the main dealer is not going be involved?
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Iffy
...that the main dealer is not going be involved?...

Expect they will, because the maintenance company will want to claim as much as they can on the warranty.

I reckon key is how many miles you do and how many tyres you will get through.

They want £45 a month for three years for a Golf, which is £1,620.

Three or four services might walk away with about £700.

If you are doing plenty of miles, you might be able to screw two sets of tyres out of them.

Say £115 each, that's another £920, which curiously brings the total to £1,620.

Total servicing - a good deal? - Perky Penguin
Yes but so long as the service is carried out to the maker's schedule and using approved parts in does not have to be done by a main dealer? I thought there was legislation to cover this? If it is correct the only contact with a main dealer could be the warranty work, if any.
 Total servicing - a good deal? - John Eva
Hi

I am John and work for Total Fleet Services.

Just come accross this website when I was going through our site stats.

The servicing and maintenance is actually all done with approved main dealers and the tyres are done with Kwick Fit. I have even made changes to our website to now state this also.

Cheers
John Eva
Total Fleet Services Ltd
Last edited by: John Eva on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 17:37
 Total servicing - a good deal? - R.P.
Thanks John - welcome to the site.

Rob Moderator.
 Total servicing - a good deal? - L'escargot
>> I am guessing, at these prices, that the main dealer is not going be involved?
>>

The following is an extract from the Total webpage.

"Servicing will be done by approved main dealers and tyres will be done at Kwick Fit centers. The tyre replacement includes general wear and tear as well as punchers."

Personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with an illiterate organisation which writes Kwick Fit instead of Kwik Fit, centers instead of centres and punchers instead of punctures.

Oops yeah thats my fault I quickly added that section of text after reading the comments on this forum and had not checked it, my spelling is really bad and should have checked it and had my boss check over it before making it go live but wanted to get it added ASAP after seeing this thread.

I will get this amended first thing in the morning, thank you for bringing this up. But please dont judge our whole company just because the IT guy (Me) carnt spell properly.
Last edited by: John Eva on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 18:50
 Total servicing - a good deal? - L'escargot
>> But please dont judge our whole company just because the IT guy (Me) carnt
>> spell properly.
>>

carnt?
Ignore them John..!
See :/
Last edited by: John Eva on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 19:00
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Skoda
Interesting idea.
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Bill Payer
I had a similar package on my Merc called Mercedes ServicePlus. Covered the car until it was 6yrs old / 120K miles and covered all service, maint, repairs and MOT, but not tyres.

It's reckoned that Mercedes screwed up, because the wording of the (very simple) contract made them resonsible for anything that went wrong with the car, so it was like a service package and full extended warranty in one.

They stopped doing it recently as it was reckoned to be costing them a fortune, although I certainly lost money on the deal, although I'm happy it was worth it for the peace of mind.

Re the package being offered here, one thing I wouldn't be happy about is tyres - getting the change point right on my company cars was the bain of my life, and changing them at 2mm is too low - I've had fast fit places measure the tread depth as 3mm when it's actually been flush with the treadwear indicators. Also they generally won't replace like for like - I'm not a tyre snob, but you get used to the ones the car came with and I want the same again, especially if only two are being replaced. Almost every visit to change tyres ended up in a row with either the fast-fit place or the maintenance company - sometimes both.

I think for those opting out of company cars, or anyone regularly doing a chunky mileage, then this package should be very interesting.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 22:50
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Zero
Its very similar to the maintenance package that lease companies can attach to your lease where you only pay for fuel (and oil between top ups)

As for someone who wont have the car serviced because of spelling, I suggest you never have your car serviced again, because your mechanics spelling skills certainly are not up to your standards.
Zero,

I would imagine there are people that ask bin-men for a copy of their GCSE certificates before they're allowed to empty their bins.
My bin men have got more brains than my council men.
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Stuu
Oh gosh I hope that isnt true. Ive sat in my living room and watched our bin men walk straight past our bin an leave it unemptied, several times. Given that its quite a simple action, doesnt bear thinking about what the capabilities of council persons are :-)
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Pat
My binmen have got brains..they know what a dried parsnip is.

Pat
Sorry Pat didn't mean to pick at that scab.
If she learned to cook and make Shepards pie there wouldn't be parsnips in the bin.

Seriously tho Pat, you are a gardener, do you not compost stuff? That's where your parsnips go.

Total servicing - a good deal? - Pat
I'm a cottage gardener and don't grow veggies.
Compost comes in a bag with John Innes on it, or fertiliser is Growmore.
If I waited for a compost heap to yield anything from this house in left over food, I'd never get anything growing.

It was only half a parsnip, the hard part that I couldn't cut...that's why I couldn't understand all the fuss:)

Pat
My new house will have a veg. patch along with a 1/2 acre meadow which will be grassed over - so I reckon compost won't be a problem !
 Total servicing - a good deal? - CGNorwich
"If I waited for a compost heap to yield anything from this house in left over food, I'd never get anything growing."

Seriously Pat you should try composting. Our garden is all flowers but it does generate a large amount of plant material which all goes in the compost bin. We have a bucket outside the back door for vegetable waste - It is surprising how much potato peelings, outer leaves of cabbage etc even two people generate.

Beside being a "green" option it is very satisfying to produce a useful product for free and your plants will grow so much better with some decent garden compost - you will be surprised.

You save a bit of money too
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Gopher
:))
 Total servicing - a good deal? - Injection Doc
well our Fiesta TDCi has had £510 spent on servicing, £9.00 head lamp bulb and 6 tyres at a total cost of £306.00 so in all we have spent £816.00 in just under 4 years and we put £20 per month aside for this car and ended up with credit in the account for this car.

My daughters C1 is free servicing for three years so only has to pay for tyres and road tax.

Our C1 runabout that I bought new with the change I saved from buying a Freelander 2 but stepping down from the HSE to a GS ( saved 7K ) in 3 years we have spent £ 618.00 including 3 years servicing and MOT, 2 tyres and one wiper blade
With having done well over 20k miles in the C1 I have saved £4719.00 in fuel in the freelander and kept the mileage down on the Freelander so the C1 has paid dividends really.

so for me the package is a no brainer
 Total servicing - a good deal? - movilogo
Looks like it will be useful for high milers and not for low milers.

Assuming £55 a month, you pay £660 a year.

A typical service/MOT costs £200-£350.

For a new or nearly new car no other expense is expected. If something goes wrong it should be covered by warranty.

So, only if you do enough miles to warrant more frequent service and tyre change, then it will pay off. Even then you may not get your preferred brand of tyres.

But I must say mileage allowance looks quite generous.

It will be more useful if extends beyond 5 years because most cars come out of warranty by that time and owners start to neglect servicing. But then it won't be that profitable :-)
The monthly price will depend on the vehicle and the mileage per year the vehicle is expected to do. But your very right it does workout better generally for those doing 12,000 mile per year or higher.

For example:

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Studio doing 10k a year would be £27 a month roughly.

Where as if it was doing 20k a year the same car would work out at £44 per month roughly.

These are only guide prices I dont do quotes.

The example prices on the site are actual running contract prices, again used as an example that a Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCi 140 Zetec doing 30,000k a year for 3 year contract would cost £66 a month.
Last edited by: John Eva on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 10:26
Latest Forum Posts