Motoring Discussion > MOT advisory Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 4

MOT advisory - bathtub tom
At this weeks MOT I was given an advisory for 'unable to fully examine metal brake pipes where hidden above fuel tank.

The car cleaned the test with no fails, or any other advisories.

The tester explained he had no reason to think there were any problems, but that he was just covering his back.

Has anyone else come across this, perhaps a brake failure on a car with a recent pass?

It'll give Bellboy something else to worry about, perhaps he'll have to change the hidden brake pipes on every car before he sells them.
 MOT advisory - Zero
Every car should have an advisory then

"The sills could be rusty internally but as I am not allowed to do a penetration test I don't know"
 MOT advisory - Bellboy
I once changed a brake pipe that ran over the fuel tank of a mk1 punto and it broke as i pulled it,i fell on my back and didnt laugh,i laughed even less when i examined it as i had never seen one as bad it was bloated to twice its normal size
why did i change it even though i couldnt see the rust? because i could see it hadnt been for the fiat recall for this very fault as the pipes werent plastic protected
I was speaking to an acquaintance only last week who lost all brakes in his td4 guess where the pipe had bust?

So you mot tester has uncertainties on this particiular model so i would advise they were changed for piece of mind as he certainly has reasons to be fearful (part 3)
 MOT advisory - henry k
>>At this weeks MOT I was given an advisory for 'unable to fully examine metal brake pipes where hidden above fuel tank.
>>
>>Has anyone else come across this,....?
Yes. A few years ago I became aware of reports of this on MKII Mondeos.
I passed the info & sourse to HJ.

"Corroded rear brake pipes where they pass over the fuel tank (an MOT failure point)."
 MOT advisory - Injection Doc
MOT tester was quite right BTT. I have had hidden brake pipes burst whilst carrying out brake tests before on an MOT. You cant fail what you cant see but you can advise. The guy was doing his job properly.
Latest Forum Posts